Newborn Screening - Save Babies Through Screening Foundation
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 1, 2011
http://www.savebabies.org/ - Save Babies Through Screening Foundation is the only non-profit organization that advocates for comprehensive newborn screening. Taking your newly born baby girl or baby boy home from the hospital should be one of the happiest moments of your life. For some parents however, this joy can sometimes turn to devastation in later years if their child has been diagnosed with a condition that could have been easily detected before they left the hospital. The Save Babies Through Screening foundation's mission is to raise awareness about this critical issue of newborn screening,
Save Babies is run by parents who understand just how crucial it is that every baby is given access to the newborn screening test in order to flag up any diseases or conditions that can sometimes not be apparent right after the birth. As a non-profit organization we work in close contact with institutional policymakers, lawmen, workers in pediatrics, and parents, in order to help educate people about the necessity for screening.
We strive to build a good reputation with the parents that we encounter so that we can encourage them to educate themselves and others about the need for newborn screening to help maintain the health of their new born child. We find that by dealing with parents compassionately we are able to delicately underline the reasons for screening, and also identify with them any that may be mandated by law. With health workers and professionals working closely together the screening process can be quick and painless.
Many parents do not fully realize how simple the screening process really can be. Firstly, a health worker will need to take a small sample of blood from your baby; this is done quickly and with minimum pain by carefully pricking the heel and obtaining a couple of drops of blood. This process is usually carried out between 24-48 hours after the baby has been born. This sample will then be processed at a laboratory where they will be able to accurately screen for issues such as blood disorders, metabolic disorders, hormonal problems and many others.
Once the results are available they are either sent to your family's pediatrician, or to a local specialty care center if applicable. A "normal" result will give you the peace of mind of knowing that your child does not likely suffer any of the diseases or conditions that have been tested for. An "abnormal" result indicates that there may be a disease or condition present and that further examination is required in order to be able to safely diagnose the condition and begin any necessary required treatment.
A hearing test is usually performed in most states before the baby is due to depart the hospital. As well as identifying hearing problems, a hearing test can also help identify other conditions. It is recommended that a baby receives the test as soon as possible.
A newborn baby deserves every possible chance to live a happy and healthy life. A few drops of blood taken safely from the heel are all that is needed to put your mind at rest or identify any problems and give the maximum chance for recovery.
Standard YouTube License
- 35:25 Detective Conan Episode 215-216 - Ang Look ng Paghihiganti Part 1 & 2 (Tagalog Dubbed) FULL EPISODEby TDCTaRP 27,240 views
- 9:08 The RH Negative Blood Type: Part 3 (RH Incompatibility & Health Issues)by TheStarchild2009 12,045 views
- 5:42 Phlebotomy: Newborn Screening (PEARSON EDUCATION)by PearsonHealth 4,934 views
- 5:24 In Memory of Indiana (Effexor Infant Death Antidepressants Pregnancy MOTHERS Act)by amyphilo 117,138 views
- 3:52 OCKalusugan ng bagong panganak na sanggol, maari ng malaman sa pamamagitan ng newborn screeningby gmanews 354 views
- 2:28 Newborn screening (blood collection) 1by MrLabvideos 1,333 views
- 0:22 New Born at Hospitalby Nina Silchuk 7,665 views
- 3:52 In loving memory of Anaya - Krabbe Leukodystrophy awarenessby TerachiShinya 21,591 views
- 4:10 HDN: Hemolytic Disease of the Newbornby NaickerN 5,290 views
- 3:01 Phenylketonuria or PKUby Farah Asad 24,998 views
- 1:50:42 Fenilcetonuria Programa Dialogosby Josè Torres 1,021 views
- 9:27 In what way is assessment data useful to teachers?by Dan Huber 5,129 views
- 5:03 Newborn hearing screeningsby RAKmagazine 1,799 views
- 12:02 Roulette der Gene Part 1by Edith Bachkoenig 626 views
- 6:15 How to Bathe a newborn baby: Hospital Delivery Nurse demonstratesby Beast9156 19,133 views
- 0:51 Newborn baby giving daddy kissesby TheKiwiMummy 213,382 views
- 5:27 Jaundice in the Newbornby drjabularrage 5,660 views
- 2:46 francis david nitafan - newborn screeningby glennisnitafan 4,034 views
- 2:12 Do Genetic Screenings Make Healthy Babies?by ABCNews 1,397 views
- 1:14 Baby Boy (2 weeks old)by alexhwng 25,217 views
- Loading more suggestions...