Newborn Screening - Save Babies Through Screening Foundation
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 1, 2011
http://www.savebabies.org/ - Save Babies Through Screening Foundation is the only non-profit organization that advocates for comprehensive newborn screening. Taking your newly born baby girl or baby boy home from the hospital should be one of the happiest moments of your life. For some parents however, this joy can sometimes turn to devastation in later years if their child has been diagnosed with a condition that could have been easily detected before they left the hospital. The Save Babies Through Screening foundation's mission is to raise awareness about this critical issue of newborn screening,
Save Babies is run by parents who understand just how crucial it is that every baby is given access to the newborn screening test in order to flag up any diseases or conditions that can sometimes not be apparent right after the birth. As a non-profit organization we work in close contact with institutional policymakers, lawmen, workers in pediatrics, and parents, in order to help educate people about the necessity for screening.
We strive to build a good reputation with the parents that we encounter so that we can encourage them to educate themselves and others about the need for newborn screening to help maintain the health of their new born child. We find that by dealing with parents compassionately we are able to delicately underline the reasons for screening, and also identify with them any that may be mandated by law. With health workers and professionals working closely together the screening process can be quick and painless.
Many parents do not fully realize how simple the screening process really can be. Firstly, a health worker will need to take a small sample of blood from your baby; this is done quickly and with minimum pain by carefully pricking the heel and obtaining a couple of drops of blood. This process is usually carried out between 24-48 hours after the baby has been born. This sample will then be processed at a laboratory where they will be able to accurately screen for issues such as blood disorders, metabolic disorders, hormonal problems and many others.
Once the results are available they are either sent to your family's pediatrician, or to a local specialty care center if applicable. A "normal" result will give you the peace of mind of knowing that your child does not likely suffer any of the diseases or conditions that have been tested for. An "abnormal" result indicates that there may be a disease or condition present and that further examination is required in order to be able to safely diagnose the condition and begin any necessary required treatment.
A hearing test is usually performed in most states before the baby is due to depart the hospital. As well as identifying hearing problems, a hearing test can also help identify other conditions. It is recommended that a baby receives the test as soon as possible.
A newborn baby deserves every possible chance to live a happy and healthy life. A few drops of blood taken safely from the heel are all that is needed to put your mind at rest or identify any problems and give the maximum chance for recovery.
Standard YouTube License
- 13:51 Judson's Eyes -- Short Film (Documentary)by Judson Levasheff7,627 views
- 3:52 In loving memory of Anaya - Krabbe Leukodystrophy awarenessby TerachiShinya36,449 views
- 16:56 Newborn Screening Bloodspot Testby NewbornScreeningTest819 views
- 3:34 Frankie Forgione loved forever - Krabbe diseaseby kimmy10r51,944 views
- 3:28 Introducing the Newborn Screening Test by Dr. Robert Guthrieby newenglandconsortium6,065 views
- 5:45 Pure Carmen - From Birth Until the Day Before She Diedby bcrilly69194,779 views
- 2:51 Newborn Care Series: Taking a Heel Blood Sampleby globalhealthmediaorg18,499 views
- 9:15 Butterfly Hand Phlebotomy Outside Vein Activation.wmvby nmmedlabsciences20,856 views
- 10 videos Play all PKU & Newborn Screening Advocacyby creativecontrolfilms
- 21:39 Lisa Powers presents Healthy Eating and Living with Sunrider International Herbal Foodsby Lisa Powers2,277 views
- 12:23 Sunrider International Featured on Common Cents, a CitiCABLE3 Programby SunriderIntl5,306 views
- 8:00 Krabbe Leukodystrophy Raw/Uncut -- Judsonby Judson Levasheff36,403 views
- 17:36 Venipuncture Tutorialby David Park38,998 views
- 2:19 Baby put in microwave, mom charged in deathby HLN9,052 views
- 17:44 Phlebotomy Basics including 8 essential components for a successful venipunctureby Crystastic Jewels25,385 views
- 20:11 Sunrider International Documentary Videoby SunriderIntl13,703 views
- 4:18 Newborn assessment and exam just after birth by nurse.by Beast915659,294 views
- 5:05 Arterial blood samplingby bauervapors5,233 views
- 4:49 Jack Macpherson Krabbes Diseaseby melmacjack44,605 views
- 6:35 Neonatal Venous Blood Samplingby bauervapors5,626 views