Suspense: Man Who Couldn't Lose / Dateline Lisbon / The Merry Widow
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 11, 2013
Suspense is a radio drama series broadcast from 1942 through 1962.
One of the premier drama programs of the Golden Age of Radio, was subtitled "radio's outstanding theater of thrills" and focused on suspense thriller-type scripts, usually featuring leading Hollywood actors of the era. Approximately 945 episodes were broadcast during its long run, and more than 900 are extant.
Suspense went through several major phases, characterized by different hosts, sponsors, and director/producers. Formula plot devices were followed for all but a handful of episodes: the protagonist was usually a normal person suddenly dropped into a threatening or bizarre situation; solutions were "withheld until the last possible second"; and evildoers were usually punished in the end.
In its early years, the program made only occasional forays into science fiction and fantasy. Notable exceptions include adaptations of Curt Siodmak's Donovan's Brain and H. P. Lovecraft's "The Dunwich Horror", but by the late 1950s, such material was regularly featured.
The familiar opening phrase "tales well-calculated to..." was satirized by Mad as the cover blurb "Tales Calculated to Drive You... Mad" on its first issue (October--November 1952) and continuing until issue #23 (May 1955).
Radio comedians Bob and Ray had a recurring routine lampooning the show, with stories that were presented as dramatic but were intentionally mundane, entitled "Tales calculated to put you in a state of... Apathy!"
Standard YouTube License
- 1:24:10 Suspense: Beyond Good and Evil / Summer Storm / A Shroud for Saraby theradioarchiveFeatured 2,445
- 1:29:43 Classic Movie Bloopers and Mistakes: Film Stars Uncensored - 1930s and 1940s Outtakesby The Film Archive 306,742 views
- 1:26:57 Suspense: 100 in the Dark / Lord of the Witch Doctors / Devil in the Summer Houseby theradioarchive 51,413 views
- 1:31:20 The Complete Citizen Kane - Documentaryby Citizen Welles 3,451 views
- 1:25:53 Suspense: Consequence / Black Path of Fear / No More Aliceby theradioarchive 4,529 views
- 1:23:46 Suspense: Dead Ernest / Last Letter of Doctor Bronson / The Great Horrellby theradioarchive 1,618 views
- 1:26:07 Suspense: Will You Make a Bet with Death / Menace in Wax / The Body Snatchersby theradioarchive 63,649 views
- 1:19:37 THE BAT (1959) Vincent Price - Agnes Mooreheadby Video Cellar's Classic Movies 17,411 views
- 29:24 "SUSPENSE" RADIO SHOW (THE EPISODE: "ON A COUNTRY ROAD")by DavidVonPein2 5,264 views
- 28:57 "SUSPENSE" RADIO SHOW (THE EPISODE: "DRIVE-IN")by David Von Pein's Channel #2 11,706 views
- 22:02 THE LAB presents Lucille Ball & Barbara Walters: An Interview of a LifeTime (FULL)by love4myclarks7 71,935 views
- 28:35 "SUSPENSE" RADIO SHOW (THE EPISODE: "SORRY, WRONG NUMBER")by DavidVonPein2 22,338 views
- 5:27 Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance interview in 1975by joycollector's channel 106,473 views
- 1:30:01 Suspense: Heart's Desire / A Guy Gets Lonely / Pearls Are a Nuisanceby theradioarchive 18,147 views
- 1:31:13 The Stranger (1946) - Full Movieby LuckyStrike502 363,152 views
- 1:54 Penyiar Pamer Payudaraby Ruombok Malenkz 63,781 views
- 1:37:14 Grief Drives a Black Sedan / People Are No Good / Time Found Again / Young Man Axelbrodby theradioarchive 39,716 views
- 1:36:27 The Endless Road / Harmonica Solo / A Dog's Life / Noh Plays of Japanby theradioarchive 187,237 views
- 1:24:17 1935 - Peter Lorreby Nick Dickinson 1,082 views
- 59:52 Sensacje XX wieku [B.Wołoszański] - Władcy Ognia [audycja radia ZET]by patriiot93 21,531 views
- Loading more suggestions...