Cells to Civilizations
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 12, 2012
Professor Enrico Coen talking about his new book, 'Cells to Civilizations' which explains the principles of change that shape life
Professor Enrico Coen of the John Innes Centre is the author of a new book that describes the unified principles behind the transformations that define life.
What are the connections between evolving microbes, an egg that develops into an infant, a child who learns to walk and talk, and the rise of Ancient Rome? For many years, scientists have generally thought these great transformations—evolution, development, learning, and cultural change—occurred through different mechanisms.
But geneticist Enrico Coen, in his pioneering new book Cells to Civilizations: The Principles of Change That Shape Life, reveals that these transformations revolve around shared core principles and manifest the same fundamental recipe. Coen blends provocative discussion, the latest scientific research, and colourful examples to demonstrate the links between these critical stages in the history of life.
The book is an excellent example of the Systems Biology approach, as it treats seemingly very different biological processes as integrated systems that operate according to general underlying principles. Professor Coen's research group at the John Innes Centre uses these approaches to understand leaf and flower shape. They are examining how development produces these forms and how these forms have arisen through evolution. The book looks at these transformations and how they, along with learning and cultural change, share many similar principles.
With over 100 illustrations, Coen tells a story rich with genes, embryos, neurons, and fascinating discoveries. He examines the development of the zebra, the adaptations of seaweed, the cave paintings of Lascaux, and the formulations of Alan Turing. He explores how dogs make predictions, how weeds tell the time of day, and how our brains distinguish a Modigliani from a Rembrandt.
Locating commonalities in important findings, Coen gives readers a deeper understanding of key transformations and provides a bold portrait for how science both frames and is framed by human culture. One consequence of his unifying argument is that even our own creativity as humans, which we tend to see as completely special and unique, can be seen as related to other biological processes, like the way the neurons interact in the brain or the way cells interact in a developing embryo.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:01 Why Reality is a Computed Simulationby Odd Edges Microcinema 59,164 views
- 5:45 Commedy Central Trump Roast - Anthony Jeselnikby Wandering Star 3808 6,848 views
- 2:40 Sam Harris - The Simulation Argument + What Is Life?by Great Ideas of Science & Philo 16,432 views
- 10:14 Secrets Of The Human Cell - Part 1by cosmiccontinuum 863 views
- 4:41 كومبيوتر يستنسخ تعابير وجهك! / 4 تكby BBC Arabic 7,764 views
- 8:35 Video Tutorial on Modeling & Simulating Torsen Differential in SolidWorks Part 01by CAD Gill 1,904 views
- 1:24 AREA 51 UFO #1 BEST New Evidence Leakedby Send Your UFO Videos To: email@example.com 39,220 views
- 14:19 Animation of Tsunami Simulation (HD version)by Kyeongok Kim 6,775 views
- 17:59 Things I bought myself and a Crochet Flower Tut - jennings644by Freestyle-Crafts jennings644 1,099 views
- 1:06:16 Scientific visions: Enrico Coen and Rob Kesseler in conversationby Matt Malpass 67 views
- 5:03 Research to make it easier to grow blood orangesby JohnInnesCentre 3,308 views
- 1:05:54 Ira Mellman Part 2: Antigen Presentation and Dendritic Cells English Subtitleby ibioseminars 2,738 views
- 4:39 Experience: "Seaweed Secrets"by ExperiencePEI1 23,305 views
- 10:00 Play & Motor Development: A Multicultural Perspectiveby njacobi's channel 3,204 views
- 4:38 Bernoulli's Theorem And Its Applicationby TutorVista- Online Tutor 176,075 views
- 3:59 SA Angel Abbieby Jaquie Sanuy 821 views
- 6:49 Gold Bullion Vault - Periodic Table of Videosby Periodic Table of Videos 2,399,302 views
- 1:12 "Babies" Heartwarming documentary about raising children from around the worldby Javier Martinez 9,882 views
- 4:05 Samsung Galaxy S2 White vs iPhone 4s Whiteby FuriousTechnology's channel 38,427 views
- 3:46 Pitch Video for Mysteries of Ancient North America (Project backed by Indiegogo)by ancientnorthamerica 731 views
- Loading more suggestions...