MargaritaSAYS: Gary Shteyngart In the World of Super Sad Love Story
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 29, 2012
I enjoy watching different Youtube videos and recently I came across Gary's Video. His recent book "Super Sad Love Story", I am reading it now, however at the time when I watched this video I had no idea what it was about. I enjoyed Garry Shteygart @Google Authors video very much.
I thought his book "Super Sad love story" was just a love story, which is true, however it is no ordinary love story, it's a reflection on our possible future world.
In the story, no one speaks anymore full sentences, and social media took over our lives, and became like a Big brother from Orwell's Novel 1984, where everyone knows everything about each other because of social media.
People are illiterate, and social media site like Face book encourages people to communicate in pictures without words, less words more fun.
And I see it's happening now like Instagram.
No more jobs left except media, credit and sales.
And Unites States is a third world country now.
We live in the world of self-expression where people tell you on twitter what they ate for lunch, and everyone is an author but there are less and less readers, and it raises the question of who is going to read your book and see your artwork, because everyone wants to be an artist and not an audience.
Gary mentioned that even though our economy is struggling right now, people applying for MFA in writing has been growing exponentially and tremendously.
If we will go at this rate middle of America will be left behind, because education in the USA is very expensive, and other countries offer it for free to their citizens, therefore there is huge gap between our education and other countries and the gap keeps on growing.
I In the book of Michael Lewis he point out that in Iceland the government pays you to go to college, therefore many people in Iceland have multiple PH'D and are very educated and advanced.
I also think by making it hard to survive and making money our "ruler" we are giving up creativity and progress because studies have shows that greater development happens in more stable economies and where there is not too much pressure to make money to survive.
I do not want the USA to become a country like in Gary's book, and I hope we will support education and not charge crazy amounts for education and turn it into business. We need to become socially mobile country again and we need to invest in our future generation, otherwise we will be left behind in the future, where the government forgives financial institutions for selling
bad mortgage loans, and derivatives. And yet student loans are never forgiven.
And the future is changing now so fast; every year it's a new life, new technology, new changes. Therefore, whatever you are writing today about no more relevant in one year from now or even sooner.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:25 Iceland Glacier Lagoon, Jokulsarlonby GDart4viewFeatured 158
- 5:54 MargaritaSAYS: Valeria lukyanova hints she is an alienby MargaritaShamrakov 19 views
- 3:41 MARGARITASAYS: No More Hubris About Who We Are!by MargaritaShamrakov 37 views
- 0:46 We are going far (Poem by Margarita Shamrakov)by MargaritaShamrakov 44 views
- 0:45 Margarita with Marshy Marsh doing tricks (Random video)by MargaritaShamrakov 39 views
- 9:43 ICELAND QUEST...LIBERATION BREATHING® in the Blue Lagoonby SONDRARAY 451 views
- 8:14 Louisiana Literature 2011: Gary Shteyngart meets DBC Pierreby LouisianaMuseum 303 views
- 1:08 ICELAND QUEST (trailer)by SONDRARAY 314 views
- 21:21 Alexandar Andrija Pejovicby euinside 189 views
- 1:08 Arnarvatnsheidi trailerby Morten Pettersen 163 views
- 5:37 Iceland 2012by wandal383 163 views
- 4:42 Gary Shteyngart on "Absurdistan: A Novel" for the Leonard Lopate Show Book Clubby wnycradio 1,442 views
- 5:39 Super Sad True Book Club, with Paul Giamatti and Gary Shteyngartby rhpubgroup 8,578 views
- 1:00:17 Authors@Google: Gary Shteyngartby AtGoogleTalks 7,030 views
- 2:30 AbeBooks' Review: Super Sad True Love Story: A Novel by Gary Shteyngartby AbeBooks 620 views
- 0:44 Josh does his push-ups, but where is Mark Freeman 408? Iceland - July 10, 2012by Rob Freeman 245 views
- 1:09 Amazing whalewatching tour from Ólafsfjörður, Icelandby thorleifurs 59 views
- 1:38 Iceland Strokkur Geyserby GDart4view 37 views
- 0:57 Gary Shteyngart on Language in "Super Sad True Love Story"by TheDailyBeastVideo 10,210 views
- 8:33 myStory: Gary Shteyngartby HIASimmigration 1,029 views
- Loading more suggestions...