NASA | Dynamic Earth
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 19, 2012
Watch as this NASA animation shows the sun blasting out a giant explosion of magnetic energy called a coronal mass ejection and the Earth being shielded from this by its powerful magnetic field. The sun also continuously showers the Earth with light and radiation energy. Much of this solar energy is deflected by the Earth's atmosphere or reflected back into space by clouds, ice and snow. What gets through becomes the energy that drives the Earth system, powering a remarkable planetary engine -- the climate.
The unevenness of this solar heating, the cycles of day and night, and our seasons are part of what cause wind currents to circulate around the word. These winds drive surface ocean currents and in this animation you can view these currents flowing off the coast of Florida.
This animation connects for the first time a series of computer models. The view of the sun and the Earth's magnetic field comes from the Luhmann-Friesen magnetic field model and two models that incorporated data from a real coronal mass ejection from the sun on December 2006.
NASA's Community Coordinated Modeling Center (CCMC) at Goddard Space Flight Center, a multi-agency partnership that provides information on space weather to the international research community, generated these two models. The ENLIL model is a time-dependent 3-D magnetohydrodynamic model of the heliosphere and shows changes in the particles flows and magnetic fields.
The BATS-R-US model is also a magnetohydrodynamic model of plasma from solar wind moving through the Earth's magnetic dipole field. It uses measurements of solar wind density, velocity, temperature and magnetic field by NASA's Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) satellite, which launched in August of 1997 and the Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory (STEREO), two satellites that view the structure and evolution of solar storms.
The view of the Earth's atmosphere comes from the Modern-Era Retrospective Analysis for Research and Applications (MERRA), a computer model that uses data from the Goddard Earth Observing System Data Assimilation System Version 5 (GEOS-5) and incorporates information gathered from ground stations, operational satellites and NASA's Earth-observing fleet of satellites. The model for the ocean is the Estimating the Circulation and Climate of the Ocean, Phase II (ECCO2), a joint project of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Mass. and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Ca.
This video is public domain and can be downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/goto?11003
Like our videos? Subscribe to NASA's Goddard Shorts HD podcast:
Or find NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on Facebook:
Or find us on Twitter:
Standard YouTube License
- 10:45 Travel INSIDE a Black Holeby Vsauce Featured 5,687,704
- 3:07 NASA | Take a "Swift" Tour of the Andromeda Galaxyby NASA Goddard352,257 views
- 4:40 NASA | Tour of the Moonby NASA Goddard998,399 views
- 2:42 NASA | Evolution of the Moonby NASA Goddard3,294,952 views
- 6:01 NASA | The Ocean: A Driving Force for Weather and Climateby NASA Goddard33,312 views
- 9:33 Why Mars Died, and Earth Livedby SpaceRip1,126,028 views
- 16:58 NASA WTF Did You Do To Piss Off E.T - STS107 I Want ANSWERS On This One 11-21-2013by DarkSkyWatcher74282,086 views
- 3:19 Earth 100 Million Years From Nowby SpaceRip6,600,941 views
- 45:08 (HD) Earth Under Water in Next 20 Years - National Geographic Documentaryby Prabhjeet Documentaries1,063,001 views
- 52:44 Secrets of the Sun / Nova HD 1080pby mavireck117,589 views
- 9:28 Earth's motion around the Sun, not as simple as I thoughtby Aryan Navabi787,383 views
- 1:30:00 Down To The Earths Core National Geographicby Patrick Carta502,491 views
- 1:58:54 MUST WATCH Aliens Earth Takeover 2013 Full Length possible Aliens running the World Alertby Pete WDHCo1,469,492 views
- 40:49 The True History and Purpose of NASAby gmoore491,180,030 views
- 1:29:59 Evacuate Earth (death by a neutron star) full movie in HDby Vesta MediaDOQ962,161 views
- 3:54 ScienceCasts: Hidden Magnetic Portals Around Earthby ScienceAtNASA481,564 views
- 1:41 Comet Ison survives SUN - Now heading for EARTHby David Vose29,341 views
- 3:56 NASA DISCOVERS HIDDEN PORTALS IN SPACE BETWEEN THE EARTH AND THE SUNby ADRENALINEJUNKY -JASON HENDRICKS903,396 views
- 8:09 Comet ISON Debris Hitting Earth Now NASA Preparingby Flugunfälle22,133 views
- 10:01 NASA's Alien Anomalies caught on film - A compilation of stunning UFO footage from NASA's archivesby LunaCognita13,847,906 views
- Loading more suggestions...