This video is unavailable.
NASA | Dynamic Earth
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 19, 2012
Watch as this NASA animation shows the sun blasting out a giant explosion of magnetic energy called a coronal mass ejection and the Earth being shielded from this by its powerful magnetic field. The sun also continuously showers the Earth with light and radiation energy. Much of this solar energy is deflected by the Earth's atmosphere or reflected back into space by clouds, ice and snow. What gets through becomes the energy that drives the Earth system, powering a remarkable planetary engine -- the climate.
The unevenness of this solar heating, the cycles of day and night, and our seasons are part of what cause wind currents to circulate around the word. These winds drive surface ocean currents and in this animation you can view these currents flowing off the coast of Florida.
This animation connects for the first time a series of computer models. The view of the sun and the Earth's magnetic field comes from the Luhmann-Friesen magnetic field model and two models that incorporated data from a real coronal mass ejection from the sun on December 2006.
NASA's Community Coordinated Modeling Center (CCMC) at Goddard Space Flight Center, a multi-agency partnership that provides information on space weather to the international research community, generated these two models. The ENLIL model is a time-dependent 3-D magnetohydrodynamic model of the heliosphere and shows changes in the particles flows and magnetic fields.
The BATS-R-US model is also a magnetohydrodynamic model of plasma from solar wind moving through the Earth's magnetic dipole field. It uses measurements of solar wind density, velocity, temperature and magnetic field by NASA's Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) satellite, which launched in August of 1997 and the Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory (STEREO), two satellites that view the structure and evolution of solar storms.
The view of the Earth's atmosphere comes from the Modern-Era Retrospective Analysis for Research and Applications (MERRA), a computer model that uses data from the Goddard Earth Observing System Data Assimilation System Version 5 (GEOS-5) and incorporates information gathered from ground stations, operational satellites and NASA's Earth-observing fleet of satellites. The model for the ocean is the Estimating the Circulation and Climate of the Ocean, Phase II (ECCO2), a joint project of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Mass. and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Ca.
This video is public domain and can be downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/goto?11003
Like our videos? Subscribe to NASA's Goddard Shorts HD podcast:
Or find NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on Facebook:
Or find us on Twitter:
Standard YouTube License
- 3:19 Earth 100 Million Years From Nowby SpaceRipFeatured 5,348,735
- 2:42 NASA | Evolution of the Moonby NASAexplorer 3,017,395 views
- 4:40 NASA | Tour of the Moonby NASAexplorer 817,472 views
- 2:28 NASA | Exoplanet Atmosphere Blasted by Stellar Flareby NASAexplorer 203,551 views
- 2:12 NASA | Earth at Nightby NASAexplorer 1,285,984 views
- 24:59 The Largest Black Holes in the Universeby SpaceRip 1,138,503 views
- 9:33 Why Mars Died, and Earth Livedby SpaceRip 574,309 views
- 4:54 Black Hole Meltdown in the Galactic Centerby SpaceRip 239,600 views
- 2:51 Viking First Views of Marsby SpaceRip 745,282 views
- 7:01 What an Astronaut's Camera Sees (from ISS)by SpaceRip 1,901,037 views
- 8:40 NASA最大騙局 火星天空是藍色的by isjacktw 249,539 views
- 24:01 Attack of the Sunby SpaceRip 843,398 views
- 13:35 What sets Curiosity apart from other Mars Rovers?by SpaceRip 805,230 views
- 1:05 MYSTERIOUS SPHERE found in NORTH TEXAS! NASA INVESTIGATES IT.by Mauricio Ruiz 3,623,445 views
- 10:00 Aliens in the NASA Archives - More Stunning NASA UFO Anomalies Captured On Filmby LunaCognita 3,337,440 views
- 11:20 Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover Animationby JPLnews 2,899,673 views
- 10:00 NASA's Alien Anomalies caught on film - A compilation of stunning UFO footage from NASA's archivesby LunaCognita 13,191,886 views
- 21:15 When Will Time End? (Version 1)by SpaceRip 3,403,109 views
- 2:53 Extreme Solar Flaresby SpaceRip 183,559 views
- 6:33 How to Get to Mars. Very Cool! HDby aheli 17,144,783 views
- Loading more suggestions...