NASA | Dynamic Earth
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jun 19, 2012
Watch as this NASA animation shows the sun blasting out a giant explosion of magnetic energy called a coronal mass ejection and the Earth being shielded from this by its powerful magnetic field. The sun also continuously showers the Earth with light and radiation energy. Much of this solar energy is deflected by the Earth's atmosphere or reflected back into space by clouds, ice and snow. What gets through becomes the energy that drives the Earth system, powering a remarkable planetary engine -- the climate.
The unevenness of this solar heating, the cycles of day and night, and our seasons are part of what cause wind currents to circulate around the word. These winds drive surface ocean currents and in this animation you can view these currents flowing off the coast of Florida.
This animation connects for the first time a series of computer models. The view of the sun and the Earth's magnetic field comes from the Luhmann-Friesen magnetic field model and two models that incorporated data from a real coronal mass ejection from the sun on December 2006.
NASA's Community Coordinated Modeling Center (CCMC) at Goddard Space Flight Center, a multi-agency partnership that provides information on space weather to the international research community, generated these two models. The ENLIL model is a time-dependent 3-D magnetohydrodynamic model of the heliosphere and shows changes in the particles flows and magnetic fields.
The BATS-R-US model is also a magnetohydrodynamic model of plasma from solar wind moving through the Earth's magnetic dipole field. It uses measurements of solar wind density, velocity, temperature and magnetic field by NASA's Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) satellite, which launched in August of 1997 and the Solar Terrestrial Relations Observatory (STEREO), two satellites that view the structure and evolution of solar storms.
The view of the Earth's atmosphere comes from the Modern-Era Retrospective Analysis for Research and Applications (MERRA), a computer model that uses data from the Goddard Earth Observing System Data Assimilation System Version 5 (GEOS-5) and incorporates information gathered from ground stations, operational satellites and NASA's Earth-observing fleet of satellites. The model for the ocean is the Estimating the Circulation and Climate of the Ocean, Phase II (ECCO2), a joint project of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Mass. and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Ca.
This video is public domain and can be downloaded at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/goto?11003
Like our videos? Subscribe to NASA's Goddard Shorts HD podcast:
Or find NASA Goddard Space Flight Center on Facebook:
Or find us on Twitter:
Standard YouTube License
- 3:19 Earth 100 Million Years From Nowby SpaceRip: BEST Space Videos on the WebFeatured 5,136,396
- 2:42 NASA | Evolution of the Moonby NASA Goddard 2,986,915 views
- 2:28 NASA | Exoplanet Atmosphere Blasted by Stellar Flareby NASA Goddard 201,861 views
- NASA 2,428 videos285K
- 1:11 NASA | X-ray 'Echoes' Probe Habitat of Monster Black Holeby NASA Goddard 118,346 views
- 4:40 NASA | Tour of the Moonby NASA Goddard 799,004 views
- 9:33 Why Mars Died, and Earth Livedby SpaceRip: BEST Space Videos on the Web 479,604 views
- 8:40 NASA最大騙局 火星天空是藍色的by isjacktw 237,081 views
- 9:28 Earth's motion around the Sun, not as simple as I thoughtby Aryan Navabi 573,307 views
- 13:29 ► Planet Earth: Amazing nature scenery (1080p HD)by Robert Revol 6,560,254 views
- 4:54 Black Hole Meltdown in the Galactic Centerby SpaceRip: BEST Space Videos on the Web 232,480 views
- 1:05 MYSTERIOUS SPHERE found in NORTH TEXAS! NASA INVESTIGATES IT.by Mauricio Ruiz 3,537,911 views
- 2:51 Viking First Views of Marsby SpaceRip: BEST Space Videos on the Web 736,338 views
- 6:33 How to Get to Mars. Very Cool! HDby Welcome 16,895,033 views
- 1:01 How the sun will die : and what happens to earth?by Suhrith Bhattaram 1,668,788 views
- 10:00 NASA's Alien Anomalies caught on film - A compilation of stunning UFO footage from NASA's archivesby LunaCognita 13,082,553 views
- 3:01 Entire Sun Full Back Side 3D Revealed by NASA 2011 Stereo SDO Satellites Narratedby SpaceChronology.com 30,859 views
- 5:01 Earth HD| Time Lapse View from Space, Fly Over | NASA, ISSby Robert Gawdzik 2,647,111 views
- 2:30 All Alone in the Night - Time-lapse footage of the Earth as seen from the ISSby David Peterson 5,503,294 views
- 24:01 Attack of the Sunby SpaceRip: BEST Space Videos on the Web 824,496 views
- 10:00 Aliens in the NASA Archives - More Stunning NASA UFO Anomalies Captured On Filmby LunaCognita 3,307,252 views
- Loading more suggestions...