Steve Blank, "The Startup Owners Manual": 5 Tips for Aspiring Entrepreneurs
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 30, 2012
After 21 years in 8 high technology companies, Steve Blank is now retired and considered one of the more successful Silicon Valley-based serial entrepreneurs. He founded E.piphany, two semiconductor companies, Zilog and MIPS Computers, a workstation company Convergent Technologies, a consulting stint for a graphics hardware/software spinout Pixar, a supercomputer firm, Ardent, a computer peripheral supplier, SuperMac, a military intelligence systems supplier, ESL and a video game company, Rocket Science Games. Steve now teaches Entrepreneurship at major Universities and at the National Science Foundation Innovation Corps and is the co-author (with Bob Dorf) of a new book called The Startup Owners Manual. He stopped in with us at the green room of ACL Live during SXSW 2012 to talk about his new book and give us some tips for aspiring entrepreneurs and business owners.
Here are Steve's Top 5 Tips for new entrepreneurs:
1) "A startup is not a smaller version of a large company."
2) "No facts inside your building so get the heck out."
3) "Startups and entrepreneurs go from failure-to-failure not success-to-success."
4) "What you really want to do is get out of the building, talk to people, and test a series of hypothesis."
5) "There really is a pattern -- there are certain pathways and rules that everyone should follow."
After years of starting, failing, succeeded and learning from many businesses, Steve and Bob decided to write the "The Startup Owners Manual," to give people a more thorough guide of the standard practices that must be done when starting a company. Check out Steve's website and the book HERE.
Lastly, I asked Steve to give one final piece of advice for entrepreneurs that I hope many new entrepreneurs will take to heart - "Don't confuse your vision with facts." I think it is something that can really help you on your entrepreneurial journey not only to help guide your vision, but just as important, to help it become reality.
- iV -
Ingrid Vanderveldt -- iV (@ontheroadwithiv) is Dell's first Entrepreneur in Residence (EIR), CEO of Green Girl Energy, Founding Organizer of The GLASS Forum and the managing partner of VH2 Energy Investments and Ingrid Vanderveldt LLC. She is a clean energy and sustainability evangelist, passionate and practical advocate for WOMEN + GREEN and is the creator and host of CNBC's "American Made". iV serves on the Advisory Boards of SXSW Eco, World Blu, Current Motor and Visionary Holdings. http://dell.to/198CeJk
Standard YouTube License
- 3:50 Bob Dorf, The Startup Owners Manual: Step-by-Painful-Step to Successby Dell823 views
- 2:29 Amos Winbush III, CyberSynchs: Launching a Company from a Mobile Phoneby Dell1,414 views
- 3:52 Sarah Prevette, Sprouter: A Community Rallys around a Startup to Keep It from Shutting Downby Dell276 views
- 2:53 Trevor Dryer, Intuit: Instant Gratification for Mobile Entrepreneursby Dell222 views
- 1:33:29 Steve Blank on Customer Development: The Second Decadeby LeanStartupCircleLA15,513 views
- 1:11:06 Startup Grind Featuring Steve Blankby VaporwareLabs2,928 views
- 52:43 George Zachary and Steve Blank at Startup Grind 2013by StartupGrind1,674 views
- 28:32 The Silicon Valley Entrepreneur - Advice for Today's High Tech Startupby KMVT8,838 views
- 1:26:36 Why Accountants Don't Run Start-ups: Getting Eco-Entrepreneurship Right by Steve Blankby ucsbbrenschool5,507 views
- 3:34 Pt 3 of 9 The Customer Development Processby techistory7,827 views
- 5:29 Pt 1 of 9 Rethinking the Product Development Processby techistory11,398 views
- 2:00 Pt 4 of 9 Engineers and Founders; the First Sales Teamby techistory3,594 views
- 6:43 Steve Blank on Hubris, Passion and What it Really Takes to be a Great Entrepreneurby gplus5,400 views
- 50:33 Steve Blank (Four Steps to the Epiphany) at Startup Grind New Yorkby StartupGrind1,207 views
- 1:20:25 Steve Blank: The Democratization of Entrepreneurshipby stanfordbusiness22,620 views
- 42:26 Steve Blank, Author, The Startup Owner's Manual: SVB CEO Summit West 2012by SVBFinancialGroup9,415 views
- 1:23:58 Guy Kawasaki: The Top 10 Mistakes of Entrepreneursby UCBerkeleyHaas168,718 views
- 1:00:48 Evangelizing for the Lean Startupby StanfordUniversity35,398 views
- 56:20 The Life Of A Young Entrepreneur - Documentaryby DocumentaryTube28,777 views
- 22:24 SXSW 2012 - Lean Startup - Steve Blank (part 1of2)by David Shih3,696 views
- Loading more suggestions...