Global warming over the last 16 years
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 7, 2013
Comments have been disabled for this video. To comment on this video, go to:
Human greenhouse gas emissions have continued to warm the planet over the past 16 years. However a persistent myth has emerged in the mainstream media challenging this. As a simple illustration of why the myth is wrong this video clarifies how the interplay of natural and human factors have affected the short-term temperature trends, and demonstrates that underneath the short-term noise, the long-term human-caused global warming trend remains as strong as ever.
For more details, visit http://sks.to/16years
We have attempted to keep the language in this video at the same non-technical level as the media stories it refutes. As a result, it has been necessary to simplify much of the terminology. The following notes are for technically literate readers.
"is the same as before": i.e. If a change in gradient is allowed at 1997 then the change in gradient is not statistically significant.
"in line with projections": i.e. Within the envelope of AR4 trend projections.
"we will see faster warming": On the basis of both AR4 projections and that global GHG emissions are increasing.
Mankind has continued to warm the planet through greenhouse gas emissions over the past 16 years. However, a persistent myth has emerged in the mainstream media challenging this fact. Let us examine what has been happening.
Here are observed global temperatures for the past 130 years from NASA. The last 35 years show a significant increase in global temperature. However the rate of warming is not uniform - there is a lot of variation from year to year.
Some of the variation comes from natural causes. Major volcanic eruptions inject small particles into the upper atmosphere, which trigger a strong cooling effect over a few years. Ocean cycles such as El Nino also affect temperature: El Nino years tend to be warmer and La Nina years cooler.
The longer term warming trend arises from greenhouse gas warming driven by human emissions.
Is there any evidence for a slow-down in greenhouse warming over the last 16 years?
In order to detect a change in the human contribution to climate change, we have to first separate out the natural contributions.
First, we remove the cooling effect of the volcanoes, along with the smaller effect of changes in solar activity.
Next we remove the pattern of warm and cool years caused by El Nino and La Nina.
What is left is the human contribution to climate change, plus some wiggles due to weather.
So is there any evidence of a change in the rate of human-caused warming over the last 16 years?
No. The human contribution over the last 16 years is the same as before. Human-caused greenhouse warming, while partially hidden by natural variations, has continued in line with projections. Unless greenhouse gas emissions are brought under control we will see faster warming in future.
For more information, visit sks.to/16years
Standard YouTube License
- 6:20 Do hot girls have all the advantages?by Science and Education for the win!Featured 86,596
- 43:46 Conspiracy Theory W/ Jesse Ventura: Global Warming [Season 1, Episode 3] (Full Length • HD)by Justin Wallis 119,106 views
- 12:53 Climate Change in 12 Minutes - The Skeptic's Caseby Stefan Molyneux 35,782 views
- 54:13 Global Warming or a New Ice Age: Documentary Filmby The Film Archive 277,350 views
- 5:45 Global Warming 4 of 7 Conspiracy Theory Jesse Venturaby VidTruth 48,696 views
- Global warming 63,215 videos63
- 21:53 Noam Chomsky "Global Warming and The Common Good"by LeighaCohen 8,292 views
- 4:11 Bill McKibben: Global Warming's Dystopian Futureby VideoNation 4,600 views
- 5:29 Hansen Corrects BBC on Climate Warmingby greenmanbucket's channel 2,912 views
- 2:32 Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Childrenby Big Think 5,348,855 views
- 21:01 Scientists And Skeptics On Global Warmingby Per Strandberg 317 views
- 1:32:19 Una Verdad Incomodaby nery gauna 675,814 views
- 1:21 Execution Live Shotby Kristin Giannas 31,051 views
- 3:11 Ant Caused Global Warmingby Samuel Hawley 1,554 views
- 2:19 Global Warming: Arctic Sea Ice 5th Lowest on Recordby okrajoe 505 views
- 2:01 It's Time to Find Common Ground -- Speed-Drawing Video on Bipartisan Solutions to Climate Changeby Union of Concerned Scientists 23,779 views
- 1:15:57 El Gran Fraude del Calentamiento Global (Doblado al Español y con Subtítulos en partes Censuradas)by Infórmate - Debate - Protesta 322,262 views
- 1:44 It's the end of the world as we know itby ClimateState 355 views
- 56:31 Climate Change and the Weightier Mattersby John Cook 1,563 views
- 5:49 NASA Global Warming Video Goddard Space Center No Denials only Questions, Satellite Pictures and Video Very Good Videoby Wes' Oddsnends 22,531 views
- 23:04 Climate Skeptic Richard Muller Admits Global Warming is Real and Humans are the Causeby Democracy Now! 5,360 views
- Loading more suggestions...