♥ Kelsey's Story ♥ (Original)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 28, 2007
Read the Official Documents in this tragic case here:
Kelsey Smith-Briggs lost her life before the age of three due to Child Abuse.
It is a Tragic story but one that must be shared. Hopefully Kelsey's story will touch your heart and you will be willing to step up to the plate and help children who can't help themselves.
Please read Kelsey's story below....
Kelsey Smith- Briggs was born as Kelsey Smith in Oklahoma on December 28, 2002 after her parents Lance Briggs and Raye Dawn Smith were divorced. Briggs, her Daddy's last name was added on later.
At the end of 2004 Raye Dawn Smith started dating a man named Michael Lee Porter, whom she met at a local bar.
The first reported incident of child abuse regarding Kelsey was made on Jan.17, 2005.
DHS confirmed Kelsey was abused due to the 29 bruises and abrasions all over her thighs, and buttocks. DHS confirmed Raye Dawn Smith to be the perpetrator.
Kelsey's paternal grandparents Royce and Kathie Briggs were granted emergency custody of Kelsey on Jan.24, 2005.
February 2005 the Judge granted Raye Dawn Smith supervised visitation with Kelsey.
On March 11th, 2005 the Judge granted Raye Dawn Smith unsupervised visitation with Kelsey as long as Michael Lee Porter was not around the child during her visitation.
Raye Dawn Smith married Michael Lee Porter on April 18, 2005.
Kathie allowed Raye extra visits to make up for the visits she missed when Lance was home on leave April 4 - 11, 2005. The paternal grandmother Kathie suspected Raye was allowing Porter around Kelsey.
April 14th, 2005 Kelsey was diagnosed with a sprained ankle for allegedly tripping on flip flops at the zoo with her maternal aunt.
April 25, 2005 It was determined Kelsey had two broken legs.
May 2, 2005 The paternal grandmother took Kelsey to an orthopedic specialist Dr.Sullivan, to have her growth plates checked. The doctor determined Kelsey's spiral leg breaks were the result of abuse.
May 3, 2005 Kelsey was taken out of her grandmother Kathie's home by OKDHS. They claim she failed to protect Kelsey because she suspected Raye was allowing Porter around Kelsey. The DHS also had to do an investigation to determine where Kelsey's legs were broken.
Kelsey was put in protective custody.
May 4, 2005 Kelsey was moved to her maternal Grandmother Gayla Smith.
June 15, 2005 Judge Craig Key went against DHS recommendation and sent Kelsey back home to her mother and stepfather. The Judge confirmed Kelsey was being abused and declared the "Perpetrator Unknown."
Kelsey was visited by social workers approximately once every week.
Kelsey's biological father Lance Briggs was a soldier in Iraq. He was undergoing care at a treatment facility for a back injury and was in the process of checking out from his duty in Fort Benning, Georgia.
On October 11, 2005 Kelsey was murdered.
Raye Dawn and Michael Porter were the only ones who had contact with Kelsey in the hour leading up to her death.
It has never been determined who killed Kelsey.
The cause of death was blunt force trauma to the abdomen.
Two weeks later Porter was arrested and charged with first degee murder.
Kelsey's mother Raye Dawn was later charged with two felonies, Child Neglect, and Enabling Child Abuse.
In April of 2006 Kelsey's body was exhumed for a second autopsy where sexual abuse was documented.
The Stepfather's charges were amended to add a count of sexual abuse.
On February 2,2007 plea negotiations started. The stepfather plead guilty to a reduced charge of Enabling Child Abuse and received 30 years in prison. He has no possibility of parole for 25.5 years.
Kelsey's mother Raye Dawn Smith went to trial July 9th,2007. She was found guilty of Enabling child abuse. She will serve 27 years in prison, without the possibility of parole for 23 years.
Alot of people failed Kelsey.
Remember her story the next time you think a child is being abused. Please report it, if you don't, that child may suffer the same fate as Kelsey. Please do not let that happen.
If you suspect abuse please call:
With the help and persistence of Kelsey's paternal grandmother Kathie Briggs, a new law "The Kelsey Smith-Briggs Child Protection Act" was established into Oklahoma Law to help prevent this type of failure in the Oklahoma State System.
Created By: Shonya Kay Lougheed
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Alright" on
- 1:43 Cassetteboy Vs Vloggers // Bad Teethby Bad TeethFeatured 78,217
- 5:39 The Shaniya Davis Storyby shonyakay 368,154 views
- 6:55 The Murder of Baby Briana (Graphic) (Update with sentences in description area)by davedavedude 2,600,739 views
- 2:34 "Sarahs Last Words"by MsGOLDENTONES 189,981 views
- 19 videos Play all Kelsey Shelton Briggs Storyby SweetPrincess36
- The Doug & Jon Show 121 videos4K
- 9:50 Raye Dawn Smith Speak's Outby amber1367 164,502 views
- 5:46 Sad Story! **Could Make You Cry**by melissa porter 1,285,273 views
- 9:26 Child Abuseby Princess13Peaches's channel 1,007,737 views
- 5:05 Child Abuse Hits Home(Joseph's Story)by zoeyjoseph 96,566 views
- 8:13 Tools of Torture Removed from Adopted Barahona Twins House of Horrors, Florida DCF Historyby mamasuntwinkle 331,120 views
- 3:32 In Memory of Addison Weastby unforgottenangels1 1,324,794 views
- 3:03 Child Abuse Story - Natalynn Millerby ♡ ♡ iluvreborns99 ♡ ♡ 43,094 views
- 1:51 Teen Mother Arrested For Beating Her Baby Into A Comaby PanicPlanet 1,038,758 views
- 4:46 Meagan's Storyby gerdelt 450,993 views
- 8:11 Two Sisters Tragic Storyby Chris Conte 1,088,772 views
- 6:15 The Yates Children Storyby broomcr 514,654 views
- 3:11 McKynzee's Story: A Victim of Shaken Baby Syndromeby emeraldjonez 868,050 views
- 15:00 An Unwanted Child: Emma's Story (Sims 3 Child Abuse)by JISODNuk3z 61,105 views
- 4:32 my little girl born sleepingby gashiwooshiwa 3,742,513 views
- 14:18 Judge - Child Abuseby Joe Smith 11,364 views
- 2:37 Child Abuse Brenden's Storyby gibbolla 167,036 views
- Loading more suggestions...