How to Purify by Recrystallization
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 5, 2009
We show how to purify aluminum nitrate and strontium nitrate by recrystallization. This is important because those two substances must be extremely pure for our upcoming video on making glow in the dark powder.
First make aluminum nitrate from our previous video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ha1S...
Dissolve the dry aluminum nitrate in water and filter off any insoluble materials. We could not filter it off before it dried in the previous video because the particles at that stage are much too small. It needs crystallize once to aggregate into particles large that can be filtered.
After filtering, dry off the aluminum nitrate. The desiccator bag might be useful here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJFfS_...
After drying, carefully weigh out the crystals. Then take that mass and add in 20% mass of water. So if you have 50g like me, you add 10g of water (or 10mL since density is 1g/mL).
It won't all dissolve, so carefully heat the mixture until it dissolves. Then cover it and let it cool down. Eventually it'll crystallize out purer crystals.
After the mixture cools to room temperature, and left for a few hours. The liquid is poured off and discarded, it has the impurities and is not needed.
The crystals are again weighed and once again they are recrystallized with 20% water.
Once this is done. Dry the final product. I started with 50g and ended up with 17g. But now it's very pure. Better than 99%
Strontium nitrate also needs to be purified. But it's solubility doesn't change that much with temperature so we'll have to purify by slow evaporation recrystallization rather than thermal cycle recrystallization.
First, make strontium nitrate like our previous video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rd8b6...
Once again, dissolve it in water and filter it. Then let it crystallize. But before it dries completely, let the liquid reduce to about 20% of it's saturated volume. So I started with a saturated solution of 10mL of strontium nitrate, i then waited until it evaporated down to 2mL of fluid. The crystals are not included in this assessment. Then discard the liquid. Repeat the recrystallization process.
Once again, use the desiccator bag to obtain extremely dry chemicals.
We are now ready to produce glow-in-the-dark powder.
Standard YouTube License
- 44:13 Drugs, Inc.: San Francisco Meth Zombies (Full Episode)by National Geographic Featured 846,133
- 17:10 How to Make Hot Ice - The Complete Guideby NurdRage650,378 views
- 7:56 How To Make Glow in the Dark Powderby NurdRage559,611 views
- 3:26 How to Make Potassium Nitrate at Homeby NurdRage393,980 views
- 4:01 Make Copper Sulfate from Copper and Sulfuric acid (3 ways)by NurdRage314,446 views
- 43:12 Almost Got Away With It - Got To Build A Meth Lab (Full documentary)by jesper022039,944 views
- 4 videos Play all make meth shake and bakeby Tweaky2000
- 9:42 Purification of KNO3 using Recrystallizationby zhmapper30,117 views
- 56:45 Crystal Meth ★ The Hardest Drug - Documentary 2013by Zaida Veller2,474,683 views
- 9:03 60 Minutes "Ice" Specialby thenowaycampaign335,692 views
- 28:03 Crystal Darknessby sandiegoda68,431 views
- 10:14 Purifying OTC Chemicals: Recrystallizationby mrhomescientist16,247 views
- 8:39 Make Elemental Bromineby myst32YT68,714 views
- 3:45 Aluminum Anodizing Motorcycle Partsby Villain Ride Company258,144 views
- 3:49 How to Make Aluminum Nitrate Nonahydrateby NurdRage87,781 views
- 0:51 Coke Can in Liquid Nitrogenby NurdRage2,646,499 views
- 1:34 San Jose Meth Labsby Haaziq4News648,513 views
- 7:57 Make Glow Sticks - The Scienceby NurdRage2,762,590 views
- 0:12 The Firejar Trickby grittruck948,437 views
- 8:50 Recrystallization of an Impure Compoundby universityofnevada50,291 views