Enlightenment in the age of materialism: Carol Craig at TEDxGlasgow
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 2, 2012
Rising materialism is eroding both individual and collective well-being, says Carol Craig, founder of Glasgow charity the Centre for Confidence and Well-being. This is the thread that weaves together many of the big issues of our age --the bonus culture, loss of standards in public life, rising inequality, overuse of resources and rising mental health problems. But it need not be like this if we wake up and stop buying into these dominant values and assumptions.
More About Carol...
Carol Craig is Chief Executive of the Centre for Confidence and Well-being -- a small charitable organisation which she set up in Glasgow in 2005 and which in 2012 is launching several initiatives on materialism. The website features 'Enlightenment in the Age of Materialism', which contains free information and resources.
Carol is author of three books: The Scots' Crisis of Confidence, Creating Confidence: A Handbook for Professionals Working with Young People, and The Tears that Made the Clyde: Well-being in Glasgow.
Carol has a Ph. D in politics from the University of Edinburgh and worked in the BBC for thirteen years before setting up her own training and development consultancy.
In the first phase of the Centre's existence the focus was positive psychology and Carol was seen internationally as one of the leading exponents of this new approach. However, in the past few years the Centre has broadened its focus by highlighting other factors which affect well-being (such as contact with the natural world, exercise and inequality). The Centre, under Carol's leadership is now focusing on materialism.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.* (*Subject to certain rules and regulations)
Standard YouTube License
Next in TEDxGlasgow - 03/04/2012
- 16:32 TEDxYYC - Dr. Megan McElheran - Trauma Change Resilienceby TEDxTalks10,103 views
- 14:54 Overcoming hopelessness - Nick Vujicic at TEDxNoviSadby TEDxTalks182,673 views
- 13:53 One Of The Most Remarkable People In The World : Raghava KK at TEDxGatewayby TEDxTalks118,609 views
- 18:30 A deeper materialism: Michael Stone at TEDxTorontoby TEDxTalks10,620 views
- 21:23 TEDxIsfeld Eoin Finn Hammock Enlightenmentby TEDxTalks15,316 views
- 14:50 On hope and hopelessness: Murray Watts at TEDxGlasgowby TEDxTalks2,624 views
- 14:27 Why are Scots so sick: Dr. Richard Weller at TEDxGlasgowby TEDxTalks3,462 views
- 20:03 TEDxSinCity - Bruce Muzik - The BIG Secret Nobody Wants To Tellby TEDxTalks277,704 views
- 12:11 How to graduate college with a job you love & less debt: Jullien Gordon at TEDxMidwestby TEDxTalks34,100 views
- 26:43 The mind that dares the switch: Neveen Varshneya at TEDxJMIby TEDxTalks2,714 views
- 19:30 TEDxMaastricht Edje Alingo Doekoe: A blessing from the heartlands of Surinameby TEDxTalks4,144 views
- 15:10 TEDxDoiSuthep - Jon Jandai - Life is easy. Why do we make it so hard?by TEDxTalks212,098 views
- 14:29 Employee-owners do it better: David Erdal at TEDxGlasgowby TEDxTalks1,975 views
- 14:06 TEDxSwarthmore - Stephanie Nyombayire - Fighting Poverty, Wars, and Faminesby TEDxTalks6,022 views
- 20:48 TEDxDoiSuthep - Dhammananda Bikkuni - Empowering Our Potentialityby TEDxTalks3,433 views
- 13:20 TEDxSantaCruz: Joe Jordan - The Solar Window Of Opportunityby TEDxTalks7,316 views
- 16:08 Say Yes!: Christine Johnson at TEDxColumbiaSCby TEDxTalks2,368 views
- 12:40 Stop the revolutions and let education evolve!: Jane Ballantine at TEDxGlasgowby TEDxTalks1,763 views