None Stick Ketchup Bottle Solution (Official) [HD]
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 23, 2012
MIT and Harvard in battle to create life-changing product: Non-stick ketchup bottles
It's the world's biggest non-problemic problem: getting the last bit of ketchup out of the jar. Ketchup is so viscous, and it seems so eager to stick to glass and plastic. But leave it to students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to solve the greatest non-issues of our generation: A team of engineers have designed the perfect condiment bottle — one that ketchup simply cannot stick to.
The secret is in a futuristic substance known as "LiquiGlide," a non-toxic, FDA-approved coating that can be applied to the interior of bottles. According to MIT PhD candidate Dave Smith, it's "kind of a structured liquid — it's rigid like a solid, but it's lubricated like a liquid." Regardless of what the bottle is constructed of, liquid or plastic, ketchup will flow out of it nearly effortlessly.
It seems like ketchup sticking to the inside of bottles is a more compelling problem than many realize — a rival team at nearby Harvard University have been working on similar, plant-derived, ketchup bottle technology. And the idea of a friction-less ketchup bottle caught enough people's imaginations to win the audience choice award at the MIT $100K Entrepreneurship Competition.
Ending bottle friction is a noble goal. Any technology to get ketchup out of bottles easier could make a serious dent in helping reduce food waste in a $33 billion condiment industry. Smith explains that the new bottles "could save one million tons of food from being thrown out every year."
Interestingly enough, LiquiGlide wasn't initially designed to be used for ketchup — the original idea had the coating being used as an anti-icing coating, or a pipe coating that might help reduce oil and gas clogs. But as Smith explains, "most of these other applications have a much longer time to market; we realized we could make this coating for bottles that is pretty much ready. I mean, it is ready."
MIT via Fast Company
This article was written by Fox Van Allen (Twitter) and originally appeared on Tecca
Standard YouTube License
- 1:10:34 Douglas North - Effect of Institutions on Market Performance at FCCby fccdotgovvideo11,348 views
- 47:08 Gordon Ramsey: Shark Baitby TheWorldIsBiggerThanMe306,411 views
- 6:05 Production of Glass Bottles - O-IBJCby Peter Scheid24,211 views
- 2:35 How to make fire using only a Orangeby mrhappy012115,323,920 views
- 23:43 The Ten Worst Songs of 2012by ADoseofBuckley3,346,648 views
- 2:50 COOL PHYSICS EXPERIMENT - Magic Sand - always dry sand - moon Sand - with Blacklight effectby Leroy Füllgraf82,844 views
- 13:41 Noreen's Homestead: Homemade Ketchup, My 200th Video!by Noreens Kitchen22,597 views
- 5:06 Homemade Ketchup - Copycat Ketchup Recipe That Tastes Like a Famous Brand!by Food Wishes135,298 views
- 6:37 Tomato Ketchup Recipe | Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipeby Nisha Madhulika79,734 views
- 4:17 Como lavar dinheiro com ketchup (experiência de química)by Manual do Mundo363,134 views
- 6:50 50 Shades of Grey Karaoke - Late Night with Jimmy Fallonby Late Night with Jimmy Fallon1,139,426 views
- 5:11 How It's Made - Model Racing Cars (Scalextric)by Triwood1973744,636 views
- 4:59 How It's Made - Ketchupby Panos Egglezos174,225 views
- 9:39 World Record: Most dominoes toppled in a spiral (30,000) complete Topplingby Sinners Domino Entertainment10,241,185 views
- 4:59 Disguised NBA star's big viral hoops hitby VINNIE MAC16,751 views
- 8:20 Jak zrobić domowy Ketchupby paei100125,535 views
- 6:21 Bacon-Swiss Burger Casseroleby CookingAndCrafting3,697 views
- 11:27 App Inventor: How to Make an Android App - The Basicsby TheTutSpot62,967 views
- 3:56:06 KNIFE PARTY EPIC LIVE STREAM FROM BEDLAMby Mixmag159,890 views
- 5:10 JEDWARD KETCHUP DRAWINGby JEDWARDTV85,753 views
- Loading more suggestions...