Rebecca Swinson - Women Bishops: Enough Waiting
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Oct 23, 2012
In a video message for the Archbishop's campaign (http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org...) to persuade General Synod members to back the new women bishops legislation when it returns to debate next month, Rebecca Swinson - the youngest-ever member of Archbishops' Council -- outlines why she wants to see the legislation for women bishops passed at November's Synod. Rebecca speaks of her own experience of seeing women ministering in parish settings and having a female chaplain in her school, and how the fact that there are no women in the House of Bishops looks out of date to her contemporaries who see the importance of women taking a lead in church life, as they do in all other areas of society. If the legislation is not passed next month, Rebecca warns, the danger is that too much time will be spent in the coming years discussing the issue when there are much more important things to debate such as the healthcare system and benefits, 'things that really matter to the people we seek to serve'.
A full transcript follows:
Hi. My name is Rebecca Swinson and I'm one of the appointed members of the Archbishops' Council. This November the Church of England is going to be called to make one of the biggest decisions that it's made in the past 20 years -- whether or not we should approve the legislation for women bishops. There are two main reasons why I think now is really the time for us to do this and why we can't delay it any further.
The first is that I've been really fortunate to experience the ministry of women over the past 20 years. I've grown up with this in the Church and it has really been a blessing. I was fortunate to have a female chaplain when I was at school, and many of my contemporaries have experienced the ministry of women in a parish setting -- some of them have only really experienced the ministry of women, and not men.
So for a lot of us, when we look at this decision, we aren't quite sure why we're still taking the time to talk about this and why we're not just going out there and doing it -- because it's seems like a bit of a strange situation to have women at all levels of the Church, apart from sitting in the House of Bishops.
The second reason is that it is really important for the mission of the Church of England, that we're able to show that women are an accepted and valued part of our ministry. And also so we don't say 'no' and spend the next 5 or 10 years still getting tied up in trying to discuss this issue when, for so many people out there, there are much more important things for us to be talking about -- things about benefits and our healthcare system, things that really matter to the people we seek to serve.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:28:17 Dialogue with Richard Dawkins, Rowan Williams and Anthony Kennyby lambethpalace74,876 views
- 4:39 Mark Russell - Women Bishops - Enough Waitingby lambethpalace1,273 views
- 1:55 John Inge - Women Bishops: Enough Waitingby lambethpalace1,381 views
- 3:49 Stephen Cottrell - Women Bishops: Enough Waitingby lambethpalace2,997 views
- 1:28:21 Should Women be in Church leadership positions?by rtveurope3,533 views
- 47:58 Women's Ordination's and Biblica Hermeneuticsby Lanston Sylvester3,000 views
- 45:25 Dwight Nelson on Women's Ordinationby Healthy Lifestyle Choices10,980 views
- 5:56 Seventh-day Adventists and Women's Ordinationby rendyourhearts1,509 views
- 1:14:45 Archbishop of Canterbury Jesus in Islam & Christianityby 1slamExplained3,562 views
- 1:28:02 Debate - Women Preachersby TakeHeedMinistries6,273 views
- 1:28:57 Richard Dawkins & Rowan Williams Archbishop of Canterbury discuss human nature and ultimate originby odebates4,620 views
- 39:26 Rowan Williams - The Finality of Christ in a Pluralistic Societyby ObjectiveBob3,622 views
- 58:31 Women's Ordination - Panel Discussion - The Controversial Issueby JesusTVSermons3,012 views
- 17:24 Bishop Herman Murray ~ Mean & Nasty?!?!!!by mossboy41,895 views
- 32:35 The new Archbishop of Canterbury is enthronedby Channel 4 News11,779 views
- 24:23 Bishop Herman Murray ~ GOD IS STILL IN CONTROL!!!!by mossboy413,569 views
- 22:29 Biblical View on Women's Ordinationby Pieter Damsteegt12,263 views
- 13:31 Rowan Williams on Dostoevskyby ObjectiveBob785 views
- 53:04 Women Bishops - Are there gender-roles in the Church?by esculent1865 views
- 31:38 YES VOTE on Women's Ordination (Asscherick on Unity in Diversity)by JR Cofer9,803 views
- Loading more suggestions...