This video is unavailable.
U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live Rattle And Hum)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 14, 2011
"Sunday Bloody Sunday" grew from a guitar riff and lyric written by The Edge in 1982. While newlyweds Bono and Ali Hewson honeymooned in Jamaica, The Edge worked in Ireland on music for the band's upcoming album. Following an argument with his girlfriend, and a period of doubt in his own song-writing abilities, The Edge—"feeling depressed... channeled [his] fear and frustration and self-loathing into a piece of music". This early draft did not yet have a title or chorus melody, but did contain a structural outline and theme. After Bono had reworked the lyrics, the band recorded the song at Windmill Lane Studios in Dublin. During the sessions, producer Steve Lillywhite encouraged drummer Larry Mullen Jr. to use a click track, but Mullen was firmly against the idea. A chance meeting with Andy Newmark (of Sly & the Family Stone) — a drummer who used a click track religiously — changed Mullen's mind. The opening drum pattern soon developed into the song's hook. A local violinist, Steve Wickham, approached The Edge one morning at a bus stop and asked if U2 had any need for a violin on their next album. In the studio for only half a day, Wickham's electric violin became the final instrumental contribution to the song.
Drummer Mullen said of the song in 1983:
"We're into the politics of people, we're not into politics. Like you talk about Northern Ireland, 'Sunday Bloody Sunday,' people sort of think, 'Oh, that time when 13 Catholics were shot by British soldiers'; that's not what the song is about. That's an incident, the most famous incident in Northern Ireland and it's the strongest way of saying, 'How long? How long do we have to put up with this?' I don't care who's who - Catholics, Protestants, whatever. You know people are dying every single day through bitterness and hate, and we're saying why? What's the point? And you can move that into places like El Salvador and other similar situations - people dying. Let's forget the politics, let's stop shooting each other and sit around the table and talk about it... There are a lot of bands taking sides saying politics is crap, etc. Well, so what! The real battle is people dying, that's the real battle".
Album : War.
Released : 28 February 1983.
Recorded : 17 May 1982-20 August 1982, Windmill Lane Studios, Dublin.
Label : Island.
Producer : Steve Lillywhite.
Genre (s) : Rock, Post Punk.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:36 U2 - Pride [In The Name Of Love](Live Rattle And Hum)by neoformracktvFeatured 25,310
- 1:00:00 U2 1983-05-30 Devore FULL CONCERTby one8ung 47,920 views
- 1:11:37 U2 - Rattle And Hum (1988) Full Albumby kritikospa14 53,165 views
- 17:12 U2 - Stay + Bad + Where the streets have no name (Boston 2001) HDby ross1441 501,412 views
- 4:44 U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday Live Aidby satussy 371,780 views
- 25:11 Queen Live Aid Full Video HQby Māris Zaharovs 4,263,828 views
- 44 videos Play all U2 Rattle and Humby Torquesixtyfour
- 6:10 U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name (Live Rattle And Hum)by neoformracktv 60,145 views
- 48:26 U2 Live in Dortmund 1984 [FULL CONCERT] HDby RiseOfTheFenix 215,656 views
- 9:22 U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For & All I Want Is You (PopMart Live From Mexico City)by Ricku2 491,803 views
- 6:04 U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday (LIVE AID 1985)by LosInklings 6,944 views
- 6:26 U2 - In church (Harlem) I Still Haven't Found (with choir)by Bibien1 255,432 views
- 4:28 U2 + Gospel Choir - I still haven't found what I'm looking forby Steffen Boelaars 357,607 views
- 10:29 U2 - All I Want Is You / Where The Streets Have No Nameby Larissa Onofre 2,490,469 views
- 11:17 U2 - Running to stand still - Where the Streets have no name ZooTV Sydneyby egdeth 227,029 views
- 9:41 U2 - Pride + City Of Blinding Lights Live Obama Concert Washington [HD - High Quality]by U2FanTV 740,796 views
- 6:56 U2 - Running To Stand Still (Chicago Live)by dolenc1234 109,407 views
- 6:17 U2 Sunday Bloody Sunday Live In Dublin 1987by axblack 633,687 views
- 2:54 Bono & The Edge - van diemens land (The O2, Dublin, 2008)by U2TicketNews 157,934 views
- 6:58 U2 Sunday Bloody Sunday Live Boston 2001by TheWiseWelsh1 276,581 views
- 1:47:53 u2 elevation tour live from boston fullby El Davi 722,372 views
- Loading more suggestions...