LFTRs in 5 minutes - Thorium Reactors
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 10, 2012
A short video of Kirk Sorensen taking us through the benifits of Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors, a revolutionary liquid reactor that runs not on uranium, but thorium. These work and have been built before. Search for either LFTRs or Molten Salt Reactors (MSR).
The main downsides/negatives to this technology, politics, corrosion and being scared of nuclear radiation. Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors were created 50 years ago by an American chap named Alvin Weinberg, but the American Government realised you can't weaponise the by-products and so they weren't interested.
Another point, yes it WAS corrosive, but these tests of this reactor were 50 years ago, our technology has definately improved since then so a leap to create this reactor shouldn't be too hard.
And nuclear fear is extremely common in the average person, rather irrational though it may be. More people have died from fossil fuels and even hydroelectric power than nuclear power.
I added this video for a project regarding Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors, watch and enjoy.
No, it would not collapse the economy... just like the use of uranium reactors didn't... neither did coal... This is because you wouldn't have an instant transition from coal... oil... everything else to thorium. We could not do that. Simply due to the engineering. Give it 50 years we might be using thorium instead of coal/oil (too late in terms of global warming, but thats another debate completely), but we certainly won't destroy the earths economy. Duh.
And yes he said we'd never run out. Not strictly true... bloody skeptics ... LFTRs can harness 3.5 million Kwh per Kg of thorium! 70 times greater than uranium, 10,000 greater than oil... and there is over 2.6million tonnes of it on earth... Anyone with a calculator, or a brain, will understand that is a lot of energy!!
Any more questions I will try and ask but read this first =)
Here is a petition for those interested in the US, take a look.
Here is a petition for the UK, please sign! http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petit...
It won't take long.
Thanks for watching. And please, please share this video with as many people as you can. The more that know about this, the greater chance of change.
Standard YouTube License
- Created using YouTube Video Editor
- View attributions
- 5:53 The Thorium Conspiracy - Stuff They Don't Want You to Knowby ConspiracyStuffFeatured 65,372
- 29:01 THE THORIUM PROBLEM - Danger of existing thorium regulation to U.S. manufacturing and energy sectorby gordonmcdowell 48,478 views
- 36:02 The Thorium Molten-Salt Reactor: Why Didn't This Happen (and why is now the right time?)by GoogleTechTalks 76,210 views
- 28:26 Motherboard TV: The Thorium Dream (Documentary)by MotherboardTV 129,133 views
- 12:04 Nuclear Boy Scout - DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! 1 of 2by TheFreedom2resist 259,307 views
- 40:21 1961 Nuclear Reactor Meltdown : The SL-1 Accident - United States Army Documentaryby wdtvlive42 26,345 views
- 11:44 Nuclear Boy Scout - DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! 2 of 2by TheFreedom2resist 249,910 views
- 1:59:59 Thorium: An energy solution - THORIUM REMIX 2011by gordonmcdowell 392,572 views
- 6:21 Electric Car Without Battery, make VIRAL ! (Oil replacement solution) Magnetic Motorby WeAreONEbigFamily 1,208,538 views
- 0:39 Aerial view of an atomic bomb explosionby atomcentral 7,244,081 views
- 34 videos Play all Thorium & LFTRby gordonmcdowell
- 9:38 Nuclear Reactors, Fantasy and Fact!by Thunderf00t 53,809 views
- 4:40 Fusion Energy Production by Deuterium Particle Injectionby Jamison Daniel 39,680 views
- 2:54 View Inside - Chernobyl's - Nuclear reactor 25 years afterby karaizz930528 439,095 views
- 44:24 Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Station Meltdown ( Fukushima is far worse ).by vidsupquick 120,583 views
- 1:09 Sand Flea Jumping Robotby BostonDynamics 5,825,863 views
- 1:22:09 Energy From Thorium: A Nuclear Waste Burning Liquid Salt Thorium Reactorby GoogleTechTalks 90,073 views
- 21:07 The Rise of Psychedelic Truffles in Amsterdamby vice 1,285,843 views
- 8:43 chernobyl 2012: finding a fragment of chernobyl's nuclear reactor fuel (in nature)by bionerd23 99,369 views
- 37:05 Inside Chernobyl (2012)by Arkitekture 652,062 views
- 1:37:13 Kirk Sorensen @ MRU on LFTR - Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactorsby gordonmcdowell 30,388 views
- Loading more suggestions...