Preaching Pro-Life on the 16th Sunday of Cycle C
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 22, 2013
Fr. Frank Pavone (http://www.FrFranksBlog.com), National Director of Priests for Life (http://www.PriestsForLife.org), shares thoughts on preaching pro-life on the 16th Sunday of the year, Cycle C (July 21st, 2013).
More liturgical resources are at http://www.ProLifePreaching.com.
A fuller explanation follows.
The First Reading and Gospel of this weekend speak to us about welcome and hospitality. In the exercise of welcoming the other, we welcome God himself. The New Testament urges us in various passages not to fail to exercise hospitality. The Letter to the Hebrews says, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it" (Heb. 13:2).
Today's homily can point out that "hospitality" is more than just a natural virtue or integral part of good manners. There is a "hospitality" that goes to the very depths of our relationship with God and our neighbor. The example of Abraham, Sarah, Martha, and Mary today point us to several key truths.
First, the only proper response to the human person is welcome, acceptance, and love. This starts with the welcome we give to our own children, born and unborn, and continues in the fabric of the family, Church, and society to create a communion of love and service. The attitude of welcome, the virtue of hospitality, means that we make room for the other because of the value of the other, not because of some pleasure or convenience of our own. (The phrase "every child a wanted child" is a Planned Parenthood slogan; but as psychiatrist Dr. Philip Ney explains, it is not being "wanted" that leads to psychological health, but rather being "welcomed." Being "wanted" means we meet someone else's need or desire; being "welcomed" means there is room for us because of who we are and the dignity that we possess, independent of what is going on in anyone else.)
Second, the opportunity to welcome the other comes at times we do not expect. We are always living in the community of the human family, and have to be always ready to respond to the needs of the other person. We are not only responsible for the people we choose and plan for. We are responsible before we choose, simply because all human beings are our brothers and sisters. As John Paul II stressed in Evangelium Vitae, we have been entrusted to the care of one another by the Creator.
Third, the welcome and hospitality we extend to others is, by that very fact, extended to God himself. This is brought out in today's readings and in many other passages of Scripture such as the judgment scene in Matthew 25.
Fourth, extending welcome can bring suffering and inconvenience to us -- and this is the opportunity to live out what St. Paul describes in the Second Reading, uniting our sufferings with those of Christ.
Pro-life is the attitude of welcome; pro-choice is the attitude of rejection. The following two poems display this contrast dramatically. One was used as a prayer at a conference of abortionists who belong to the National Abortion Federation, addressing the child to be aborted. The other was written by a pro-life activist, also addressing a child in danger of abortion. One is the perfect reverse of the other.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:13:35 George Carlin Life Is Worth Losingby cesar martins162,772 views
- 1:14:46 No Matter What, Serve The House ❃Bishop T D Jakes❃by MarriageSermons Bishop T.D Jakes53,794 views
- 51:25 Nothing Just Happens ❃Bishop T D Jakes❃by MarriageSermons Bishop T.D Jakes82,287 views
- 1:21:14 Breaking The Cycle Of Pain ❃Bishop T D Jakes❃by MarriageSermons Bishop T.D Jakes28,366 views
- 1:02:03 The Best of George Carlin: Exposing our government and fall of humanity one joke at a timeby BrainFeed.ca1,185,832 views
- 56:15 George Carlin - Complaints and Grievances (2001)by Karolis Kazlauskas151,003 views
- 1:08:59 George Carlin ~ It's Bad for Ya! (2008)by MICHEALMIAHAELMIOHAE388,250 views
- 7:56 My Son Chose To Live: An Anti-Abortion Storyby Charlxttte124,278 views
- 1:00:30 Commitment ❃Bishop T D Jakes❃by MarriageSermons Bishop T.D Jakes20,556 views
- 31:35 Joel Osteen - Get Over It - Sun, 15 April 2013by Joshua Solomon414,200 views
- 21:06 Evangeliumby Andrés Silva55 views
- 9:48 George Carlin - 7 dirty words (best part)by tazredakteur747,993 views
- 8:38 George Carlin - Death Penaltyby Seleucid92,648,527 views
- 31:06 Joel Osteen - Dont Feed Trash To Your Heartby 234karthikeyan315,977 views
- 2:22:40 The Genius George Carlinby DonkeyDork95505,424 views
- 10:23 Father Peter Homily 4th Sunday of Easter 4-21-2013by avengedangel200264 views
- 9:00 George Carlin - Pro-Life is Anti-Womanby TurpisHaereticus256,059 views
- 9:37 George Carlin on Religion and Godby bjnignog3,141,523 views
- 6:16 Black Madonna Pro-Life Pilgrimage Across North Americaby HLI DotOrg3,278 views
- 30:57 Joel Osteen - God Smiles at You By Seeing Your Faith but Devil Smiles at You by Seeing Your Fearby 234karthikeyan554,688 views
- Loading more suggestions...