Mark Kostabi: Everyone-Jedermann - ART/new york no. 63
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 11, 2010
Mark Kosabi -- Everyone-Jedermann is the most recent release from ART/new york, a documentary series on Contemporary Art. Produced and directed by Paul TschinkeI, it is program No. 64 in a long list of documentaries on art and artists. Begun in 1979, the series has filmed many of the artists working and exhibiting in New York over the past 30 years, including Chuck Close, Alice Neel, Louise Bourgeois, Cindy Sherman, Kiki Smith, Barbara Kruger, Nan Goldin, Laurie Anderson, Nam June Paik, and many others.
Mark Kostabi, along with Keith Haring, Jeff Koons, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Kenny Scharf and others, emerged in the 1980's as a member of a group of East Village artists who set out to redefine the role of the artist and art. Like Haring's 'Crawling Baby' and Koons' 'Puppy', Kostabi's iconography includes the archetypal "Everyman' figure - an androgynous, faceless, universal person that communicates easily and speaks directly with the public. Kostabi's figures, which are still the basis of his art today, embody themes of dislocation that reflect loneliness and alienation in a complex world that is overwhelmed by media and technology.
Jedermann traces this artist's prolific and circuitous development. Over the past 25 years, since his first appearance on the NY art scene, ART/new york has recorded Kostabi's activities as an artist. Included is a painting sequence from 1986 in which the artist paints a 20 ft. version of Leonardo's Last Supper in his Tribeca studio, a 30 ft. stencil painting on the rooftop of his Midtown studio in 1987, a 1996 visit to his SOHO 'Kostabi World' and footage from his TV show 'Title This' in SOHO in 2002. Also seen are exhibitions at the East Village and SOHO Semaphore Galleries, the Ronald Feldman Gallery in SOHO and the Adam Baumgold Gallery on 79th Street.
Interviews are with his first art dealer, MOLLY BARNES, critic and author, GLENN O'BRIEN, critic and editor of PAPER MAGAZINE, CARLO Mc CORMICK, and art dealer ADAM BAUMGOLD. Also included are interviews with MARK KOSTABI that were conducted over a span of 25 years.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:49 Larry Rivers: An American Master (excerpt, ART/new york no. 37)by Paul Tschinkel3,765 views
- 3:46 Mary Frank: A Matter of Spirit (excerpt, ART/new york no. 49)by Paul Tschinkel1,258 views
- 4:19 Directions in Painting: Stella, Salle, Golub (excerpt, ART/new york no. 12)by Paul Tschinkel3,159 views
- 7:57 The Madness of Art -- Season 2, Episode 6: The Kostabi Showby TheMadness0fArt493 views
- 4:16 Leo & Ileana: Legendary Art Dealers (excerpt, ART/new york no. 35)by Paul Tschinkel3,313 views
- 3:57 John Chamberlain: Modern Sculpture (excerpt)by Paul Tschinkel3,451 views
- 7:23 Andre Breton's Apartmentby earinsound2,545 views
- 14:13 Mark Kostabi at MARTIN LAWRENCE GALLERYby jameskalm3,115 views
- 2:50 Eric Fischl (excerpt, ART/new york no. 60)by Paul Tschinkel4,171 views
- 9:56 Mark Kostabi: artista immaginifico (Parte 1)by galleriaincontro1,675 views
- 4:44 Jeff Koons in his NY studioby hagenworld25,826 views
- 2:35 Kiki Smith (excerpt, ART/new york no. 40)by Paul Tschinkel15,925 views
- 10:00 Chris Martin at MITCHELL-INNES & NASHby jameskalm4,336 views
- 3:53 Jean-Michel Basquiat (1960-1988) (excerpt)by Paul Tschinkel149,007 views
- 3:47 April Gornik: Landscapes (excerpt, www.artnewyork.org)by Paul Tschinkel3,624 views
- 3:14 FUTURA 2000by yohey0136,992 views
- 44:29 Inside New York's Art World: Robert Hughes and Alexander Libermanby DukeLibDigitalColl .19,564 views
- 26:28 André Breton, Pionnier Du Surréalisme (27/02/61)by CircunferenciaPunga4,071 views
- 4:39 A Mark Kostabi Interview May 5, 2011by jameskalmroughcut1,526 views
- 3:49 Ida Applebroog (excerpt, ART/new york no. 36)by Paul Tschinkel587 views
- Loading more suggestions...