Is the Holy Spirit Limited to Just the Bible Only? Debate #2: Is Calvinism A Wicked Doctrine?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Feb 27, 2011
Of the many debates that Bob L. Ross of Pilgrim Publications of Pasadena, Texas, one of the world's leading publishers of the works of Charles Haddon Spurgeon (see website - PilgrimPublications.com), has participated in over the decades, this is the favorite of Larry Wessels of Christian Answers of Austin, Texas/Christian Debater (see websites BibleQuery.org, HistoryCart.com & MuslimHope.com). Here we find Bob Ross (who is also the author of several books on the "Church of Christ" etc. including "Campbellism, Its History & Heresies") in theological combat with yet another "Campbellite" preacher named David Brown, Director of the Southwest School of Bible Studies located at the Southwest Church of Christ in Austin, Texas. The "Church of Christ," "The Christian Church," "Disciples of Christ," & others come out of a early 19th century "Restoration Movement" founded by four primary men named Alexander & Thomas Campbell, Barton W. Stone & Walter Scott. These men claimed that they had "restored the ancient gospel" of water baptism in order to the remission of sins and that "the Holy Spirit operates only through the word of God." They claimed that other churches had lost this "ancient gospel" & were therefore preaching a false gospel (in fact many American cults such as Mormonism, 7th-Day Adventism, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc later sprang out of this movement: see our Youtube video RISE OF THE CULTS. ARE YOU IN ONE? by LARRY WESSELS for documentation). Furthermore they taught that there is no indwelling of the Holy Spirit in the bodies of Christian believers or a direct operation of the Holy Spirit in the hearts of Christians at all thus reinterpreting John 3:3-8 & similar passages to water baptism only. "Church of Christ" preacher David Brown maintains that the Holy Spirit is only in the words on the pages of the Bible since the Bible was written by the Holy Spirit & is not at all indwelling the Christian believer. Thus Campbellites believe exposure to the Holy Spirit is only when reading the Bible. In this way the Campbellite movement can remove any sovereign, direct actions by God in the salvation of sinners & leave it to Campbellite preachers to get their followers water baptized then do many works of "obedience" such as attending church with the proper "Bible name," not using musical instruments during worship service, having "no creed" but the Bible, obedience to elders, good morals, if failure occurs applying for a "second law of pardon," etc.
For much more information on the Campbellite Movement, see our many videos posted here on YOUTUBE (CANSWERSTV account) including Bob Ross' 22 hour "Church of Christ Week Long Debate" with nationally known Campbellite preacher Bill Jackson. Viewers can also access our website BIBLEQUERY.ORG, click on the "Experience" button on the homepage then scroll down to our newsletter on "Church of Christ" (you can have this & other newsletters sent to you at no charge, simply make the request by providing a current mailing address). Those wishing to see a concise presentation on the Campbellite doctrine of the Holy Spirit can go to VIMEO VIDEO (type LARRY WESSELS in their homepage search box & look for the 2 part series entitled, "CAMPBELLITE (CHURCH OF CHRIST) DOCTRINE OF THE WORK OF THE HOLY SPIRIT #1-#2).
Standard YouTube License
- 1:00:32 Is the Holy Spirit Limited to Just the Bible Only? Debate #3: Does God Work By Word Only?by CAnswersTV590 views
- 1:00:48 Is the Holy Spirit Limited to Just the Bible Only? Debate #1: Introduction to Supernatural Powerby CAnswersTV809 views
- 1:00:43 Is the Holy Spirit Limited to Just the Bible Only? Debate #4: Is Reason & Logic the Only Matter?by CAnswersTV358 views
- 1:00:59 Church of Christ Week Long Debate #14: Campbell's "Millennial Harbinger" & Attack on Calvinismby CAnswersTV502 views
- 58:09 Is the Holy Spirit Limited to Just the Bible Only? Debate #13: Man's Will Power, God's, or Both?by CAnswersTV298 views
- 1:03:46 King James Onlyism Heresy (Part 1): Origins - A Seventh-day Adventist Inventionby CAnswersTV5,814 views
- 1:00:33 Is the Holy Spirit Limited to Just the Bible Only? Debate #5: Campbellites Baptized by a Baptist?by CAnswersTV414 views
- 58:51 Is the Holy Spirit Limited to Just the Bible Only? Debate #12: Spiritual Rebirth or Just Reading?by CAnswersTV275 views
- 58:44 The Counterfeit Water Gospel Church ("Church of Christ") that Alexander Campbell Builtby CAnswersTV703 views
- 1:00:05 THE "INTERNATIONAL CHURCHES OF CHRIST" ALIAS "THE BOSTON MOVEMENT #2by CAnswersTV1,234 views
- 1:00:34 Church of Christ Week Long Debate #10: Acts 2:38 & How Many Water Baptisms Are Needed?by CAnswersTV480 views
- 1:01:40 DEBATE: ARE MECHANICAL INSTRUMENTS OF MUSIC BIBLICALLY CONDEMNED IN CHRISTIAN WORSHIP SERVICES? #4by CAnswersTV596 views
- 1:03:54 DEBATE: ARE MECHANICAL INSTRUMENTS OF MUSIC BIBLICALLY CONDEMNED IN CHRISTIAN WORSHIP SERVICES? #5by CAnswersTV542 views
- 59:37 Church of Christ Week Long Debate #6: Campbellism Plan of Salvation-Synecdoche?!?by CAnswersTV342 views
- 1:08:05 ECUMENICAL CHAOS: Going to Bed With Roman Catholic False Prophets & Idolatersby CAnswersTV2,025 views
- 1:01:27 THE "INTERNATIONAL CHURCHES OF CHRIST" ALIAS "THE BOSTON MOVEMENT #1by CAnswersTV3,061 views
- 1:00:12 Is the Holy Spirit Limited to Just the Bible Only? Debate #6: Does the Holy Spirit Have Real Power?by CAnswersTV192 views
- 1:00:45 Roman Catholicism Series #10: Roman Catholic Apologists Defend Their Religious System #2by CAnswersTV1,038 views
- 59:13 Biblical Predestination #1: IS YOUR GOD TOO "small"?by CAnswersTV1,539 views
- 1:04:19 DEBATE: ARE MECHANICAL INSTRUMENTS OF MUSIC BIBLICALLY CONDEMNED IN CHRISTIAN WORSHIP SERVICES? #8by CAnswersTV273 views
- Loading more suggestions...