What Can Embryos Tell Us About Evolution?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 31, 2010
http://www.facebook.com/ScienceReason ... Facts of Evolution (Chapter 6): What Human Embryos Reveal About Evolution.
Please SUBSCRIBE to Science & Reason:
EVOLUTION IS REAL SCIENCE:
1. Does The Evidence Support Evolution?
2. Vitamin C And Common Ancestry
3. Are We Descended From Viruses?
4. Does The Fossil Record Support Evolution?
5. Where Are The Transitional Forms?
FACTS OF EVOLUTION:
2. Universal Common Descent
3. Good Design, Bad Design
4. Speciation And Extinction
5. How Fast Is Evolution?
6. What Can Embryos Tell Us About Evolution?
7. The Molecules Of Life
8. Molecular Evolution: Genes And Proteins
9. Retroviruses And Pseudogenes
Embryo drawing refers to any representation of the illustration of embryos in their developmental sequence. In plants and animals, an embryo develops from a zygote, the single cell that results when an egg and sperm fuse during fertilization.
In animals, the zygote divides repeatedly to form a ball of cells, which then forms a set of tissue layers that migrate and fold to form an early embryo. Images of embryos provide a means of comparing embryos of different ages, and species. To this day, embryo drawings are made in biology undergraduate developmental biology lessons.
Comparing different embryonic stages of different animals is a tool that can be used to infer relationships between species, and thus biological evolution. This has been a source of quite some controversy, both now as in the past.
A biologist who pioneered in this field was Ernst Haeckel. By comparing different embryonic stages of different vertebrate species, he formulated the Recapitulation theory. This theory states that an animal's embryonic development follows the exact same sequence as the sequence of its evolutionary ancestors.
Haeckel's work and the ensuing controversy linked the fields of developmental biology and comparative anatomy into comparative embryology. From a more modern perspective, Haeckel's drawings were the beginnings of the field of evolutionary developmental biology (evo-devo).
The study of comparative embryology aims to prove or disprove that vertebrate embryos of different classes (e.g. mammals vs. fish) follow a similar developmental path due to their common ancestry.
Such developing vertebrates have similar genes, which determine the basic body plan. However, further development allows for the distinguishing of distinct characteristics as adults.
Standard YouTube License
- 12:33 Facts about Human Evolutionby SciShow Featured 555,410
- 10:55 The First Humansby Best0fScience283,389 views
- 8:58 A Useless Definition Of God? - The Atheist Experience 477by village1diot10,495 views
- 10:57 Origin And Evolution Of Lifeby Best0fScience157,950 views
- 8:47 The Dark Matter Mystery: Gravitational Lensingby Best0fScience62,391 views
- 7:58 Facts Of Evolution: Good Design, Bad Designby Best0fScience52,084 views
- 10:25 Evolution Of Modern Humansby Best0fScience115,507 views
- 3:52 Facts Of Evolution: The Molecules Of Lifeby Best0fScience31,106 views
- 21 videos Play all scienceby wjkaiser65
- 58:31 Greg Paul and the Problem of Evil - The Atheist Experience #719 (full episode)by TheAtheistExperience43,079 views
- 10:06 Einstein's Relativity: Basics And Impact In Our Everyday Lifeby Best0fScience199,595 views
- 4:28 Why Do You Believe In Gravity? The Atheist Experience 432/433by village1diot72,942 views
- 57:11 'Why Evolution Is True' by Jerry Coyne, AAI 2009by Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science174,986 views
- 9:20 Does The Fossil Record Support Evolution?by Best0fScience25,704 views
- 9:42 Evolution: Where Are The Transitional Forms?by Best0fScience25,838 views
- 2:51 Mechanisms Of Evolution: How Does Variety Arise?by Best0fScience39,275 views
- 10:01 Proof of Evolution - Part 2 (Summation)by DonExodus2106,209 views
- 7:26 Video Desarrollo Embriológico Craneofacial Parte 1.wmvby ortodonciapromoXVI22,446 views
- 58:32 The Diversity of Development: Embryos and Evolutionby University of California Television (UCTV)14,347 views
- 10:13 Evolution - Evidence and "Gaps"by Cristina Rad142,851 views