Handel - Rodelinda "Dove sei, amato bene?" Andreas Scholl
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Mar 12, 2008
"Dove sei, amato bene?"
Rodelinda, re de' Longobardi, HWV 19
In this recording:
"Arias for Senesino"
Academia Bizantina/Ottavio Dantone
"Rodelinda, regina de' Longobardi" (HWV 19) is an opera seria in three acts by George Frideric Handel. It was based on a libretto by Nicola Francesco Haym, in turn based on an earlier libretto by Antonio Salvi. Salvi's libretto originated with Pierre Corneille's play "Pertharite, roi des Lombards".
It was first performed at the King's Theatre in the Haymarket, London, on 13 February 1725. It was produced with the same singers as Tamerlano. There were 14 performances and it was repeated on 18 December 1725, and again on 4 May 1731. It was also performed in Hamburg. The first modern production was in Göttingen on 26 June 1920.
Premiere Cast, February 13, 1725
(Conductor: - )
Rodelinda, Queen of Longobardi: (soprano) Francesca Cuzzoni
Bertarido, King of Longobardi: (alto castrato) Senesino
Grimoaldo, Duke of Benevento: (tenor) Francesco Borosini
Eduige, Bertarido's sister: (alto) Anna Vicenza Dotti
Unulfo, Bertarido's friend and counsellor: (alto castrato) Andrea Pacini
Garibaldo, Grimoaldo's counsellor, duke of Turin: (bass) Giuseppe Maria Boschi
In the Royal Palace in Milan, Rodelinda, wife of the King Bertarido, presumed dead in an invasion by the usurper Grimoaldo, laments the loss of her husband and kingdom. Grimoaldo arrives with his henchman Garibaldo to seek her hand, but the proud queen declares that the man who has robbed her of all she held dear will never buy her love. When she leaves, Grimoaldo complains to Garibaldo that his peace is disturbed equally by Rodelinda's scorn and by the anger of Bertarido's sister, Eduige, to whom he is betrothed. She enters to remind him of his vow and proposes that they reign as regents until Bertarido's son, Flavio, comes of age, but Grimoaldo gloats that as she once spurned him, he now spurns her. When he departs, Eduige turns her wiles on Garibaldo, offering herself to him if he will oblige Grimoaldo to kneel before her. Alone, Garibaldo muses that he will use the art of love to win the throne.
In fact, Bertarido is alive; disguised as a Hun, has given out word of his death to buy time to win back his kingdom. In a cypress grove, he ponders the vain pomp of his newly erected tomb, longing for comfort from his beloved wife (Dove sei, amato bene?).
Pompe vane di morte!
Menzogne di dolor, che riserbate
il mio volto e 'l mio nome, ed adulate
del vincitor superbo il genio altiero!
Voi dite, ch'io son morto;
ma risponde il mio duol, che non è vero.
"Bertarido fu Re; da Grimoaldo
vinto fuggì, presso degli Unni giace.
Abbia l'alma riposo, e 'l cener pace."
Pace al cener mio? Astri tiranni!
Dunque fin ch'avrò vita,
guerra avrò con gli stenti, e con gli affanni.
Dove sei, amato bene?
Vieni, l'alma a consolar.
Sono oppresso da' tormenti
ed i crudeli miei lamenti
sol con te posso bear.
Translation: (by Kenneth Chalmers)
The hollow splendour of death!
This sham of grief preserves
my name and likeness, and yet flatters
the pride of the haughty victor!
You say that I am dead,
but my grief replies that it is not so.
(reading the inscription:)
'Bertarido was king. Defeated by Grimoaldo,
he fled and now lies near the Huns.
May his soul find rest and his ashes peace.'
Peace for my ashes? The tyranny of fortune!
So long as I live
I shall be fighting hardship and distress.
Where are you, my beloved?
Come and comfort my heart.
I am stricken with anguish
and only by your side
can my cruel sorrow be lightened
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Handel: Pompe vane di morte! - Pompe vane di morte!" on
- 49 videos Play all YouTube Mix - Handel - Rodelinda "Dove sei, amato bene?" Andreas Scholl
- 8:22 Top 10 Hilarious Jim Carrey Momentsby WatchMojo.com Featured 1,417,351
- 2:38:23 Handel - "Messiah"/ The Choir of King's College, Cambridge.by Rus3ik489,449 views
- 9:18 G F Handel - Rinaldo "Cara sposa" Andreas Schollby civileso125,716 views
- 6:27 Handel - Rodelinda "Io t'abbraccio" M. Kožená & D. Danielsby civileso34,897 views
- 5:59 Andreas Scholl - Handel - Rodelinda - Aria - Dove seiby geofolkansamble27,119 views
- 5:58 Handel - Flavio "Bel contento" Andreas Schollby civileso25,591 views
- 6:39 J.S. Bach: Mass in B minor "Agnus Dei" - Andreas Schollby civileso1,196,560 views
- 46 videos Play all 2.Handelby maleficentrenaultcli
- 4:03 Sierra Hull & Highway 111 - Old Dangerfieldby Lavern Beachy106,570 views
- 7:09 Philippe Jaroussky - Handel: Io t'abbraccioby deidre66823,055 views
- 4:03 Handel - Serse "Ombra mai fu" - Lorraine Hunt-Liebersonby civileso170,662 views
- 2:48:50 #123 1998-1999 Rodelindaby OnafhankelijkToneel3,956 views
- 7:07 Bach: Cantata BWV 54, "Widerstehe doch der Sünde" A Schollby civileso227,136 views
- 9:55 Handel - Per te lasciai la luce - Natalie Dessayby civileso47,777 views
- 6:25 Handel - The Cuckoo & The Nightingale, HWV 295/Part 1by civileso55,657 views
- 6:35 Vivaldi - Bajazet "Sposa son disprezzata" Vivica Genauxby civileso119,114 views
- 4:22 Gocce di Memoria - Laura Pausini feat. Giorgiaby byiana bc538,408 views
- 7:33 Vivaldi: Cessate, omai cessate, RV 684 (1/2) - Schollby civileso15,679 views
- 9:36 Handel: Cara Sposa. Andreas Schollby sfkcbf27,457 views
- 7:21 Dove sei, amato bene - Handel - Jarousskyby SJuli9,082 views