Citgo lowers American flag to mourn death of Hugo Chavez
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 7, 2013
Out of respect for President Hugo Chavez, Venezuelan-owned oil refinery Citgo flew its flags at half staff outside its Houston and Lake Charles, La., offices Wednesday, sparking outcry from drivers passing by.
In Houston, the flags at the refinery were lowered to half staff as late as this afternoon, and caused a number of people to look twice as they drove by. James Post, an assistant project manager at an engineering and construction firm in Harris County, told FoxNews.com the sight was "jarring" and "deeply disappointing."
U.S. protocol allows for flags to be lowered for foreign dignitaries and Post recognized Citgo's right to do so as a private company. However, he said upon seeing the American or Texas flag at half staff, he questioned the person being honored; and said his mind "immediately jumped to the last time we did this in the Houston-area and it was for Neil Armstrong, so, you wonder."
Meanwhile, Terry Backhaus, a financial adviser in Louisiana, told FoxNews.com the flags at the Citgo refinery in Lake Charles had apparently been raised back by noon. "I think I used a profanity when I saw it this morning, I was disgusted," Bakhaus said. "I didn't believe it to be right, not for somebody who wasn't a true American ally."
Citgo told KHOU 11 News earlier Wednesday that it would lower its flags, including the American flag, for Chavez. The company said it would release a statement later in the day, but a request for comment by FoxNews.com was not immediately returned.
The late Venezuelan president died Tuesday afternoon at the age of 58 after a two-year battle with cancer. Chavez's funeral will be held Friday in Caracas. The ceremony is expected to draw leaders from all over the world including Argentina, Uruguay and Bolivia.
Thousands of Chavez's supporters filled Caracas' streets Wednesday to remember the man who dominated their country for 14 years.
But even amid the mass outpouring of grief, questions about the country's future could not be put off for long, with worries amplified by the government's lack of regard for the letter of the constitution, and the military's eagerness to choose political sides.
Others who bitterly opposed Chavez's take-no-prisoners brand of socialism said they were sorry about his death, but hopeful it would usher in a less confrontational, more business-friendly era in this major oil-producing country. Under his leadership, the state expropriated key industries, raised taxes on the rich and forced many opponents into exile.
Venezuela and the United States have a complicated relationship -- and animosity between Caracas and Washington was rising even in the final hours before Chavez's death. Vice President Nicolas Maduro claimed "historical enemies" of Venezuela were behind Chavez's cancer diagnosis.
U.S. officials quickly cast Chavez's death as an opportunity for America to rebuild a relationship with Venezuela and for the country itself to pursue "meaningful democratic reforms," with President Obama saying it marked a "new chapter" for the Latin American nation.
An election is expected to be held in 30 days.
Standard YouTube License
- 7:14 Murder Rates Keep Rising in Venezuela (Part 1/3)by VICE Featured 478,796
- 21:32 LA VERDADERA CAUSA DE LA MUERTE DE CHAVEZ. REVELADORAS E IMPRESIONANTES IMAGENESby Pedro Hernandez325,004 views
- 31:43 Ngritja e Flamurit Shqiptar ne Boston - 27 Nentor 2011by maasbesa754 views
- 4:56 BUENOS DIAS NUEVA YORK-- Funeral de Hugo Chávezby Telemundo NY698 views
- 10:03 Hugo Chavez Dice Mentiroso A Jesucristo, Maldice Israel,La Sombra De La Muerte,Hoy Esta Muerto.by PROFECIASANTESDEL FIN356,379 views
- 6:04 Hugo Chavez - IN MEMORIAM - UN General Assembly SPEECH - THAT GOT HIM KILLED - RIP - TRUE WARRIORby MrAbsoluteknowledge2,273 views
- 6:32 La verdad del FANTASMA DE HUGO CHAVEZ @OxlackCastroby Oxlack Investigador1,060,845 views
- 5:25 Philippines Independence Day Ceremony July 4, 1946by emmthreejonny7,780 views
- 19:27 Hugo Chávez Funeral: Derided by US Media, Venezuelan Leader Uplifted Poor From Caracas to the Bronxby democracynow7,211 views
- 6:06 LA NIÑA QUE HIZO LLORAR AL MUNDO!!!by Hectorwin5,940,721 views
- 15:19 Avenida Francisco de Miranda, Caracasby The World is One !28,557 views
- 2:45 Lanzamiento de programa Citgo-Venezuela de combustible para calefacción en Estados Unidosby Prensa Embavenez574 views
- 8:52 Profecía contra HUGO CHAVEZ Profeta Rafael Ramirezby Angel Monagas2,338,273 views
- 6:09 Bayly - Ex agente cubano presagia un golpe de estado entre Diosdado y la familia de Chavezby El Frasquito33,238 views
- 4:12 CITGO Surveillance Videoby cpiweb1,839 views
- 2:11 CITGO ofrece combustible gratuito a los pobresby HispanTV128 views
- 4:25 Press TV Iran: America Killed President Hugo Chavez, Estados Unidos mató al presidente Chávezby Taraneh Mousavi459 views
- 6:09 http://rtvm.gov.ph- Wreath-Laying and Flag-Raising Ceremoniesby RTVMPNoy2,215 views
- 4:05 McDonalds Follansbee, West Virgina Half Staff Flag Upside Down Disgraceby Jon Wood599 views
- 12:02 Citgo College Recruiutment Videoby Fortuna Int39 views
- Loading more suggestions...