USACE - Committed to Sustainability
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 18, 2012
David Williams, Energy Program Manager, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, says USACE energy initiatives are making a difference. "All of our facilities are built to LEED standards, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. We design our facilities with energy as a focal point. USACE is using solar energy, geothermal energy and wind turbines."
As the nation's environmental engineer, the U.S. Army Corps manages one of the largest federal environmental missions: restoring degraded ecosystems; constructing sustainable facilities; regulating waterways; managing natural resources; and, cleaning up contaminated sites from past military activities.
Our environmental programs support the warfighter and military installations worldwide as well as USACE public recreation facilities throughout the country. In 2002, USACE adopted its seven Environmental Operating Principles, or green ethics, which continue to guide our environmental and sustainability work today.
USACE works in partnership with other federal and state agencies, non-governmental organizations and academic institutions to find innovative solutions to challenges that affect everyone -- sustainability, climate change, endangered species, environmental cleanup, ecosystem restoration and more.
USACE works to restore degraded ecosystem structure, function and dynamic processes to a more natural condition through large-scale ecosystem restoration projects, such as the Everglades, the Louisiana Coastal Area, the Missouri River, and the Great Lakes, and by employing system-wide watershed approaches to problem solving and management for smaller ecosystem restoration projects. USACE's regulatory program works to ensure no net loss of wetlands while issuing about 90,000 permits a year.
USACE environmental cleanup programs focus on reducing risk and protecting human health and the environment in a timely and cost-effective manner. USACE manages, designs and executes a full range of cleanup and protection activities, such as:
Cleaning up sites contaminated with hazardous, toxic or radioactive waste or ordnance through the Formerly Used Defense Sites program
Cleaning up low-level radioactive waste from the nation's early atomic weapons program through the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program
Supporting the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency by cleaning up Superfund sites and working with its Brownfields and Urban Waters programs
Supporting the Army with the Base Realignment and Closure Act program
Ensuring that facilities comply with federal, state and local environmental laws
Conserving cultural and natural resources
USACE is striving to restore ecosystem structure and processes, manage our land, resources and construction activities in a sustainable manner, and support cleanup and protection activities efficiently and effectively, all while leaving the smallest footprint behind.
Read how USACE is celebrating Earth Day:
Standard YouTube License
- 2:32 USACE - BUILDING GREENby CORPSCONNECTION 303 views
- 1:55 Army Corps of Engineers Afghan Constructionby AFN Afghanistan 416 views
- 5:10 McCaskill quizzes Army Corps nominee on Missouri floodingby Senator Claire McCaskill 555 views
- 5:12 Sustainable Homeby CornerstoneSIP 50,397 views
- 0:59 USACE - Sustainable Energyby CORPSCONNECTION 206 views
- 1:24:59 Sustainability and Food Choice: Why Eating Local, "Less" Meat, and Taking Baby Steps Won't Workby John McDougall 21,236 views
- 2:00 USACE - Designing Sustainable Communitiesby CORPSCONNECTION 145 views
- 7:41 Army Family Readiness -- A Family Affairby Southpacificdivision 268 views
- 3:18 US Geothermalby wallstreetcast 222 views
- 10:25 Engineering Your Future - Civil Engineerby ThinkTVPBS 82,936 views
- 7:51 U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Afghanistan.wmvby CORPSCONNECTION 4,456 views
- 1:10 X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System UAS UAV drone Northrop Grumman first flight.wmvby airreco 4,369 views
- 53:12 EDUCATION FOR A SUSTAINABLE FUTUREby NewFutureMedia 45,164 views
- 2:02 Sustainability explained through animationby RealEyesvideo 432,415 views
- 2:39 US Army Corps of Engineers Fights Receding Mississippi Watersby VOAvideo 501 views
- 2:17 USACE - Jobs for Veteransby CORPSCONNECTION 316 views
- 3:16 US Army Corps of Engineers - NRM Recruitmentby tmimultimedia 1,003 views
- 2:46 USACE - 53rd Chief of Engineersby CORPSCONNECTION 301 views
- 1:09 Effects human have on an ecosystem interactive video-Startby CPxPC 1,928 views
- 2:00 USACE Helping to Protect Militaryby CORPSCONNECTION 975 views
- Loading more suggestions...