Marriage in Islam - Part 2
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Oct 19, 2009
Part 2 of 3 in the lecture series on marriage by Sheikh Shady.
The purpose of Marriage:
The word "zawj" is used in the Qur'an to mean a pair or a mate. In general it usage refers to marriage. The general purpose of marriage is that the sexes can provide company to one another, love to one another, procreate children and live in peace and tranquility to the commandments of Allah.
* Marriage serves as a means to emotional and sexual gratification and as a means of tension reduction. It is also a form of Ibadah because it is obeying Allah and his messenger - i.e. Marriage is seen as the only possible way for the sexes to unite. One could choose to live in sin, however by choosing marriage one is displaying obedience to Allah.
Marriage is "mithaq" - a solemn covenant (agreement). It is not a matter which can be taken lightly. It should be entered into with total commitment and full knowledge of what it involves. It is not like buying a new dress where you can exchange it if you don't like it. Your partner should be your choice for life. One should be mature enough to understand the demands of marriage so that the union can be a lasting one. For a marriage to be valid certain conditions must be met.
1) consent of both parties.
2) " Mahr" a gift from the groom to his bride.
3) Witnesses- 2 male or female.
4) The marriage should be publicized, it should never be kept secret as it leads to suspicion and troubles within the community.
Is Marriage obligatory?
According to Imams Abu Hanifah, Ahmad ibn Hanbal and Malik ibn Anas, marriage is recommendatory, however in certain individuals it becomes wajib/obligatory. Imam Shaafi'i considers it to be nafl or mubah (preferable). The general opinion is that if a person, male or female fears that if he/she does not marry they will commit fornication, then marriage becomes "wajib". If a person has strong sexual urges then it becomes "wajib" for that person to marry. Marriage should not be put off or delayed especially if one has the means to do so.
A man, however should not marry if he or she does not possess the means to maintain a wife and future family, or if he has no sex drive or if dislikes children, or if he feels marriage will seriously affect his religious obligation.
The general principle is that prophet (pbuh) enjoined up in the followers to marry.
He said "when a man marries, he has fulfilled half of his religion , so let him fear Allah regarding the remaining half." This hadith is narrated by Anas. Islam greatly encourages marriage because it shields one from and upholds the family unit which Islam places great importance.
Standard YouTube License
- 57:49 The Niqab in Islam - By Sheikh Shady Al-Suleimanby SplitmoonProductions12,415 views
- 44:42 Marriage in Islam - Part 1by SplitmoonProductions63,193 views
- 1:25:16 Islamic Panel - The Islamic Path To Marriageby SplitmoonProductions14,697 views
- 57:21 Intense Marriage Course - Session 1by SplitmoonProductions5,121 views
- 46:08 What Jerusalem & Alquds means to every Muslim by Sheikh Shady Alsuleimanby SplitmoonProductions8,797 views
- 39:27 What Islam Says About Zina (Adultery) - By Sheikh Shady Al-Suleimanby SplitmoonProductions41,683 views
- 30:32 Marriage: Are You Ready? - Said Rageahby khalifahklothing56,791 views
- 34:07 The Importance of Knowledge - By Sheikh Shady Alsuleimanby SplitmoonProductions4,007 views
- 33:27 Public debate: Islam vs the West - marriage and treatment of women.by Muslim Debate Initiative20,119 views
- 1:22:32 Crisis of Marriage in America - Yaser Birjasby khalifahklothing26,727 views
- 29:52 How to smell a Rat? Marriage in Islam -TheDeenShowby khalifahklothing66,481 views
- 50:40 The Keys to a Successful Marriage - Samir Abu Hamzaby khalifahklothing54,169 views
- 39:34 Mars and Venus: Marriage, Love & Mercy - Riad Ouarzaziby khalifahklothing44,205 views
- 1:06:20 2 Debat Al Quran dan injil terseru 2,Dr Zakir Naik vs William Campbell (bahasa indonesia).by bayu nurhada265,822 views
- 21:18 Marriage to Non Muslim - Contemporary Issues - Bilal Philipsby khalifahklothing91,475 views
- 1:20:41 How the Bible Led Me to Islam: The Story of a Former Christian Youth Minister - Joshua Evansby khalifahklothing2,025,405 views
- 30:17 Let's Talk About Marriage! (Part 1) The Benefits and Rewards of Marriage - TheDeenShowby khalifahklothing42,295 views
- 55:22 Before Marriage - A Faithful Promise - Abu Mussab Wajdi Akkariby khalifahklothing26,241 views
- 7:28 Is there a concept of engagement in Islam? (AskHuda.../HudaTV)by madina5524,318 views
- 1:06:19 The Lives of the Prophets - Prophet Adam (AS) - Part 1 by Sheikh Shady Alsuleimanby SplitmoonProductions92,455 views
- Loading more suggestions...