Alfred Hitchcock's Prologue to Psycho (1960)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 27, 2010
Psycho is a 1960 American film directed by Alfred Hitchcock. The film is based on the screenplay by Joseph Stefano, who adapted it from the 1959 novel of the same name by Robert Bloch. The novel was based on the crimes of Wisconsin serial killer Ed Gein.
The film depicts the encounter between a secretary, Marion Crane (Janet Leigh), who is in hiding at a motel after embezzling from her employer, and the motel's owner, Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins), and the aftermath of their encounter.
Psycho initially received mixed reviews, but outstanding box office returns prompted a re-review which was overwhelmingly positive and led to four Academy Award nominations. Psycho is now considered one of Hitchcock's best films and is highly praised as a work of cinematic art by international critics. The film spawned two sequels, a prequel, a remake, and a television movie spin-off.
The film is often categorized by multiple sources as a drama, horror, mystery and thriller film.
The film's original trailer features a jovial Hitchcock taking the viewer on a tour of the set, and almost giving away plot details before stopping himself. It is "tracked" with Bernard Herrmann's Psycho theme, but also jovial music from Hitchcock's comedy The Trouble with Harry; most of Hitchcock's dialogue is post-synchronized. The trailer was made after completion of the film, and since Janet Leigh was no longer available for filming, Hitchcock had Vera Miles don a blonde wig and scream loudly as he pulled the shower curtain back in the bathroom sequence of the preview. Since the title, "Psycho," instantly covers most of the screen, the switch went unnoticed by audiences for years. However a freeze-frame analysis clearly reveals that it is Vera Miles and not Janet Leigh in the shower during the trailer.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:42 Psycho Official Trailer 1960 HDby DamontagerFeatured 155,821
- 48:25 The Alfred Hitchcock Hour: "An Unlocked Window" (1965)by GR160289 42,351 views
- 14:59 Hitchcock's PSYCHO analysis of subliminal themes by Rob Agerby Rob Ager 14,069 views
- 32:11 AUTHOR STEPHEN REBELLO ("ALFRED HITCHCOCK AND THE MAKING OF PSYCHO")by DavidVonPein2 4,563 views
- 15:01 Paul Merton Looks At Alfred Hitchcock (Part 2)by vaughanography 3,755 views
- 13:07 The making of the Shower Scene in Psychoby sceneexamples 90,309 views
- 33:40 Alfred Hitchcock - Masters of Cinema (Complete Interview in 1972)by Dejan Jankovic 136,682 views
- 13:33 Alfred Hitchcock Presents S01E27 Help Wanted Pt 1by ahitchcockpresents 11,771 views
- 12:30 Alfred Hitchcock Presents S01E34 The Hidden Thing Pt 1by ahitchcockpresents 7,414 views
- 11:45 Alfred Hitchcock Presents S01E32 The Baby Sitter Pt 2by ahitchcockpresents 7,446 views
- 8:40 Psycho Suite - Bernard Herrmann (Proms 2011) [HQ Audio]by paulusthewoodgnome 86,203 views
- 1:49 My Top 10 Favourite Alfred Hitchcock Moviesby TheMcoleman148 13,507 views
- 12:29 Alfred Hitchcock Presents S01E36 Mink Pt 1by ahitchcockpresents 10,151 views
- 9:40 Rear Window movie analysis (Alfred Hitchcock)by Hector Sierra 49,699 views
- 2:12 The Truth About Mother - Psycho (11/12) Movie CLIP (1960) HDby movieclips 205,483 views
- 12:26 Alfred Hitchcock Presents S01E38 The Creeper Pt 1by ahitchcockpresents 14,924 views
- 2:33 We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes - Psycho (3/12) Movie CLIP (1960) HDby movieclips 93,934 views
- 11:50 Alfred Hitchcock Presents S2E04 Kill With Kindness Pt-2by ahitchcockpresents 2,059 views
- 2:13 Psycho (12/12) Movie CLIP - She Wouldn't Even Harm a Fly (1960) HDby movieclips 219,754 views
- 13:45 Alfred Hitchcock Presents S2E04 Kill With Kindness Pt-1by ahitchcockpresents 2,518 views
- Loading more suggestions...