Black Gay Hate Crime: Is the Down Low the New Twinkie Defense? - Episode 204 (part 1 of 4)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 12, 2012
In this segment of NoMoreDownLow.TV, we investigate the savage beating of Brendon White - an openly gay black man in Atlanta. Video captured his attack. Plus, we look at another incident where three lesbians attack a gay man. So, we ask "Is being on the down low the new so-called "Twinkie Defense"?
Watch the full episode 204 now at http://youtu.be/5DcQQPyX6GU
Check out more episodes of our show at http://www.NoMoreDownLow.TV
Find us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/NoMoreDownLow
Subscribe to us on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/NoMoreDownLow
Brandon White: "I feel as though I should have justice. Those guys didn't feel my pain. They didn't care whether or not I was injured."
Joy Ganes, LA Attorney: "If you notice it's not just 'I want to fight with someone' - there was an element of hate and discrimination that was attached to it."
It's the video that went viral. The beat down of Brandon White, the 20-year old gay man viciously attacked in Atlanta.
It was a crime he'd been mum about until the video hit the Web. In the end, three men were arrested and charged with what could be a hate crime.
Brandon White: "The scars run deeper than anybody will know...the physical pain, I can get over that... My thing is, who's to say they won't come after me again. Who's to say this time they might even kill me? All because I want to speak up about the situation, I want to see something done about the situation. I don't want other people to have to go through what I went through."
Congressman John Lewis: "There is no room for violence against any human being."
Among those to stand up and condemn the attack, Georgia Congressman John Lewis who spoke out at this rally, as seen here on YouTube.
Congressman John Lewis: "We cannot discriminate against someone because that person happened to be straight or gay."
Earlier reports which were erroneous had linked the victim to the three men, as being on the down low and was perhaps the reason for the attack. One that holds no water in court as a defense.
Defense Attorney: "Mr. Maroni did not commit a hate crime."
The attorney for one of the men arrested spoke with Atlanta station WSB declaring his client's innocence:
"Mr. Maroni doesn't have a hateful bone in his body. He is not a hate crime ridden person, he did not commit a hate crime, and that I am on his behalf extending an olive branch to the LGBT community."
Los Angeles Attorney Joy Ganes says the stakes and penalty go beyond the normal charge for assault and battery when a hate crime charge is attached.
Attorney Ganes: "Hate crime legislation was brought forth to increase the time that you can serve. So, say for instance you get an assault and battery charge, depending on the state or severity of the crime...10 years...if you then add a hate crime element on top of it, it will add years to your sentence."
And in this case, because there is video and a clear sign of hate, the case is stronger.
"If nobody's videotaping it, it becomes a "He said/She said" situation and it becomes harder to show that there's a heightened level of hate."
Which was the case in Boston. A gay man told police he was beaten by three lesbians in a train station. His claim: The women hurled anti-gay slurs. The ladies claimed the victim started altercation by yelling racial slurs. The women have been charged with assault with a deadly weapon.
Attorney Ganes: "He has to show that he was specifically targeted for being gay, and that's not necessarily shown on your body unless they carve something into it."
Standard YouTube License
- 19:58 Black Anti-Gay Hate Crime, First Lady's Make-up Artist, Bisexual Black Poet: Full Episode 204by NoMoreDownLow.TV3,969 views
- 20:45 Hip Hop on the Down Low, Kobe Bryant & Gay Basketball Players - Full Episode 108by NoMoreDownLow.TV65,227 views
- 5:44 Black Bisexual Poet Yazmin Monet Watkins - Episode 204 (part 3 of 4)by NoMoreDownLow.TV1,686 views
- 19:25 VIDEO: Gay Black Couple Photosby NoMoreDownLow.TV92,143 views
- 10:00 On the Down Low (part1)by IserveFace523,560 views
- 21:39 A warning sign to spot a down low brotherby david carroll20,096 views
- 6:38 ATL Security Guard Chasing Out Drug Dealers Pt. 4: Don't Mess With Gay Dudes In Atlantaby Tyree Thomas1,523 views
- 9:57 On the Down Low (part3)by IserveFace106,085 views
- 8:54 Down Low, Under Cover Brother Issueby FabulousSamone4,614 views
- 8:29 Things Dudes On The DOWN LOW Sayby What's Heat ?51,103 views
- 10:25 On the Down Low (part2)by IserveFace151,231 views
- 4:45 Where The Bears Are - Season 1: Episode 1 BEAR DOWNby Where The Bears Are1,285,896 views
- 9:29 (LETS GET REAL):LADY'S BEWARE OF THESE "DL"DOWNLOW MEN!!!!!by DollFaceBarbieTM192,327 views
- 0:45 Exclusive shocking footage of criminals having gay love in Indian jailby shreeinternational24,692 views
- 3:22 Black Guy Gets Beat up by 67 yr Old White Man on Busby frankmedel340,720 views
- 25:20 HOW U KNOW, He on the DOWN LOW? RAW/UNCUT TRANS& FEMALE EDITIONby Tela Love2,436 views
- 1:52 Blacks beat up White man for not letting them cut in line, no hate crime thereby UncookedVanilla185,969 views
- 9:09 S2: On the Down Lowby The Gang N'em TV25,515 views
- 7:59 BMR - The Secret is Outby GCM WATCH23,316 views
- 4:57 anti gay church harrasing familyby different8141,563 views
- Loading more suggestions...