LowLine: An Underground Park on NYC's Lower East Side
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Mar 2, 2012
The Delancey Underground project aims to convert an unused trolley terminal beneath Delancey Street into an extraordinary subterranean public park- nicknamed the "LowLine." Inspired by the amazing impact of the High Line, local businesses, residents, community leaders, and political stakeholders alike have voiced considerable enthusiasm for the idea. We are now focused on increasing this broad public support, and are preparing in earnest to make this vision a reality.
But the Delancey Underground is more than an economic revitalization opportunity- it also represents cutting edge design and a new generation of green technology. It is at the heart of a broader global discussion about the potential of remnant urban infrastructure, and the need for cities to re-invent the meaning of space- above and below ground. The project also envisions a fresh approach to solar technology- using innovative fiber optics to reflect light underground, saving electricity and reducing carbon emissions, and generating the capacity for plants, trees, and grasses to thrive indoors. The "LowLine" is essentially part of the next phase in urban design, in which human scale and increasing resource scarcity force us to imagine smarter, more creative use of public spaces.
What will this underground green space become? As the High Line has proven, a stunning public park can provide tremendous opportunities for creative expression, while challenging assumptions of the way humans work, live, commute, and interact. The Delancey Underground project envisions a year-round programming series, which invites the community into the space in new ways. From art exhibitions, to farmers' markets, to educational series, tospecial events and promotions- this space will be more than a space. It will generate community, and it will inspire in the way beautiful environments can inspire.
Standard YouTube License
- 14:13 New York Underground Populationby shave1962Featured 4,072
- 59:29 Architects@Google: Dan Barasch, "The Delancey Underground"by AtGoogleTalks 1,381 views
- 1:47 Los techos de Nueva York se convierten en granjasby afpes 1,363 views
- 6:00 Urban Underground Exploration Steven Duncanby aitchayess 52,399 views
- 5:53 Cities in Focus | New York Cityby EMBARQNetwork 55,508 views
- 15:22 Smart Green Infrastructure: How To Grow Sustainable Citiesby TreePeople1 25,953 views
- 4:13 Street View New York City - The Bronx To Manhattan Beach Parkby drivethrucity 6,830 views
- 6:15 BMT Subway: A look passing the unused Canal & Bowery Platforms via R160 (J) trainby bebo2good1 1,964 views
- 2:46 A day in the lower east side (LES), NYCby martincongahead 14,798 views
- 7:09 Lower East Side Tenement Museumby OnTheBeatTWC 11,159 views
- 4:21 Inhabitat talks to James Corner about the design of the High Line Urban Parkby inhabitat 20,848 views
- 9:05 After Show: Bad Feet!by WendyWilliamsShow 12,916 views
- 2:02 Abandoned Building / Hospital In Staten Island New Yorkby Manic PhaseCA 28,930 views
- 9:01 The High Line (New York City)by FionaNUFC 6,911 views
- 5:36 High Line: abandoned NYC rail becomes skinny park in the skyby kirstendirksen 17,097 views
- 3:27 Geocachers: Chris Koza and Rogue Valley on the Lower East Sideby geocachersnyc 757 views
- 5:32 Providence Iloilo by SRDC in Brgy. Balabag, Pavia, Iloilo, Philippinesby ErecreGroupRealty 488 views
- 2:34 7 Billion: How Did We Get So Big So Fast?by npr 853,228 views
- 5:31 Inhabitat Explores the Lower East Side Low Line Underground Park by Delancey Undergroundby inhabitat 8,698 views
- 2:45 New York Cityby Petersoncinema 5,607 views
- Loading more suggestions...