Brandeis Students Calling to Arrest Avi Dichter 4.4.11
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 4, 2011
WALTHAM, MA -- Members of Brandeis Students for Justice in Palestine (BSJP) disrupted a panel discussion of six Members of the Israeli Knesset tonight at Brandeis University.
The action targeted MK Avi Dicther, an international war criminal wanted for crimes against humanity and violations of the Geneva Convention. Dichter ordered the tortures of detained Palestinians while he served as head of Shabak, the Israeli Intelligence Services. In July 2002, Dichter ordered the assassination of a Hamas commander by dropping a one-ton bomb on his home in a residential area, causing the deaths of 15 people, including 9 children, and injuring dozens more.
When Dicther spoke, a dozen Brandeis students stood and demanded that he turn himself in to authorities, distributing warrants for his arrest. In English and in Hebrew, the students listed charges against Dichter, including torture and the bombing of civilians. They ended their disruption by chanting in Hebrew "Don't worry Avi Dicther, we'll meet you in the Hague."
The action aimed to alert the Brandeis community to the presence of a war criminal on campus. "We believe that Avi Dichter must be put to trial for his crimes against humanity," said participant Liza Behrendt.
Participant Paraska Tolan stated, "War criminals have a right to speak on our campus, but students also have the right to hold them publicly accountable for their crimes. This serves as a message that Dichter should not feel welcome, even at Brandeis University."
Lisa Hanania, a Palestinian student at Brandeis, said that she was extremely disturbed by the racist comments from some of the MKs. "MK Tzipi Hotovely claimed that 'Arabs have a different D.N.A that lacks humanity'. As a citizen of state, I am concerned that Israel is sliding into an openly racist ethnocracy."
Noam Lekach, a first-year from Israel, stated, "Brandeis claims to promote social justice, but today they invited legislators who openly espouse racist attitudes towards Palestinians."
The students emphasize that, although they targeted Dichter specifically, all MKs should be held accountable for recent racist legislation such as the "Loyalty Oath," the criminalization of Nakba commemoration, and the institutionalization of residential discrimination.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:40:07 Israel vs Palestine - a must see !!! documentary .by 711Rene 150,184 views
- 11:37 The History of the Middle East Conflict in 11 Minutesby Walid Shoebat 198,978 views
- 9:51 Hotel Brandeis — Andrew Davies '06, Dave Klasko '07, Joshua Louis Simon '07by BrandeisAlumniVideos 7,636 views
- 3:57 Sh*t Brandeis Science Majors Don't Sayby Asher Krell 7,484 views
- 3:21 Tzipi Hotovely on BBCby Tzipi Hotovely 10,556 views
- 1:11 Brandeis student protest disrupts Israeli MK panel in Boston, MA March 26 2012by Omer Fartida 7,173 views
- 4:17 Advice to Freshmen at Brandeis Universityby Deis Talks 2,481 views
- 4:30 Debra Messing on Brandeis Universityby Scott Feinberg 1,815 views
- 8:00 אבי דיכטר בראיון לאלג'זירה - 28.12.08- Avi Dichter in El Jazeeraby nisanzeevi 19,531 views
- 3:54 Sh*t Brandeis Students Don't Sayby PaulGaleComedy 31,303 views
- 1:58 Avi Dichter, former head of the shin bet, with a massage to the people of syria - سورياby AviDichter 35,628 views
- 2:27 CBS news - Brandeis University assaultby richayanami 7,362 views
- 1:57 נמשיך להתנגד לכיבוש! הקמפיין נגד חוק החרםby CWPAction 19,670 views
- 14:48 Chomsky at Brandeis, Nov. 11th, 2010 (1/5)by A Life of Dissent 4,147 views
- 5:32 Brandeis University on "Drama"by PaulGaleComedy 2,977 views
- 12:08 avi dichter on russia today in arabicby אבי דיכטר - Avi Dichter 545 views
- 3:52 Sh*t Brandeis Students Don't Say Part 2by PaulGaleComedy 13,962 views
- 8:21 Weekly Protest in Sheikh Jarrah - 22-1-2010by yisraelpnm 9,814 views
- 1:56 Brandeis Class of 2015 hits the ground runningby Brandeis University 2,189 views
- 5:46 The Israeli Palestinian Conflict: 10 Myths Preventing Peace (Calev Myers)by Jerusalem Institute of Justice 63,431 views
- Loading more suggestions...