The Nation at The New School: Ten Years After 9/11
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Sep 9, 2011
The New School for Public Engagement | http://newschool.edu/public-engagement
The Nation at The New School - Ten Years After 9.11: How Has the United States Changed?
"At times of crisis, the most patriotic act of all is the unyielding defense of civil liberties and the right to dissent," wrote celebrated historian Eric Foner days after the 9/11 attacks. As national security became an obsession in Washington and the mainstream media enlisted in the Bush administration's war, the need for an independent, critical press seemed more urgent than ever. The enduring concerns of The Nation took on a new relevance. Ten years later, the events of 9/11 continue to reverberate, with the killing of Osama bin Laden and the Obama administration's ongoing pursuit of the Bush-era national security agenda. In this context, leading Nation writers and thinkers engage in a conversation about what has changed in the United States since September 11, 2001.
THE NEW SCHOOL | http://newschool.edu
Key questions to be discussed include: Are we more secure? How can we as a country strike the right balance between security and liberty? How has the marketing of fear reshaped our politics, society, and culture? How should we rethink the concept of the War on Terror? How can we end the war in Afghanistan and devise a diplomatic and political solution to the conflict? How can we dismantle a security apparatus that too often invokes state secrecy? Do U.S. history—and other countries' histories—offer useful guideposts? If we accept, as The Nation has argued, that the most effective way to halt global terrorism involves cooperation with the global community, what frameworks do we envision and how can they be developed? What can we, as a nation, do to prevent another 9/11?
Riggio Honors Program: Writing and Democracy | http://www.newschool.edu/riggio
Featuring Katrina vanden Heuvel, editor and publisher of The Nation; Melissa Harris-Perry, Professor of Political Science at Tulane University; Eric Foner, DeWitt Clinton Professor of History at Columbia University; and Christopher Hayes, Washington editor of The Nation. Moderated by John Nichols, Washington correspondent, The Nation. Co-sponsored by the Leonard and Louise Riggio Writing and Democracy Initiative at The New School.
Location: Tishman Auditorium, Alvin Johnson/J. M. Kaplan Hall.
September 8, 2011 7:00 p.m.
Standard YouTube License
- 1:35:56 The Nation at The New School: Progressives and Election 2012by thenewschoolnyc 799 views
- 1:45:12 Marriage and Equality with Melissa Harris-Perry | The New School for Social Researchby thenewschoolnyc 772 views
- 2:03:49 Occupy Everywhere | The New School for Public Engagementby thenewschoolnyc 17,104 views
- 1:22:23 Chris Hedges' Empire of Illusion | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 101,348 views
- 1:19:51 The New School 92nd Anniversary Program: State of the School Addressesby thenewschoolnyc 251 views
- 1:15:07 A Lecture by President of Ecuador Rafael Correa (Spanish) | The New School for Public Engagementby thenewschoolnyc 21,653 views
- 2:02:21 Why the Economic Crisis Deepens | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 69,405 views
- 9:33 Rep. Joe Walsh, his politics and his hypocrisy. He leads the Tea Party caucusby liberalcynic 761 views
- 1:06:27 Cave Canem Reading at The New School: Duriel Harris, M. Ayodele Heath, Khadijah Queenby thenewschoolnyc 504 views
- 1:05:17 Ellis Island, The Golden Door | The New School for Public Engagementby thenewschoolnyc 584 views
- 7:31 Hitchens: The Nation, Liberals & Self-Hatredby TurnedTurk 1,551 views
- 1:22:40 PEN American Center at The New School: Liao Yiwu, Philip Gourevitch, and Salman Rushdieby thenewschoolnyc 806 views
- 1:13:39 Lucila Rosso - President Kirchner Fellowship Lecture | THE NEW SCHOOL FOR PUBLIC ENGAGEMENTby thenewschoolnyc 600 views
- 58:25 Israeli and Palestinian Cinema Part 2 | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 396 views
- 59:16 [Full Video] Melissa Harris-Lacewell Keynote at Facing Race 2010by racialjustice 16,624 views
- 3:04 Adult and Continuing Education | The New School for Public Engagementby thenewschoolnyc 3,642 views
- 1:25:47 The Winter of Our Discontent - Session 1: The Means of Social Change | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 1,668 views
- 1:41:56 Working Families and the Economy | The New School for Public Engagementby thenewschoolnyc 276 views
- 1:19:30 2009 - The Religious-Secular Divide: The U.S. Case -- Keynote: Charles Taylor | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 2,615 views
- 1:41:51 A Conversation on Jewish Secularism | The New Schoolby thenewschoolnyc 783 views
- Loading more suggestions...