Schultz and Urban - A Defensive Patent License Proposal - Stanford Center for Internet and Society
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 10, 2011
Stanford Center for Internet and Society
May 2, 2011
Defensive patenting---i.e., filing a patent specifically to avoid the threat of litigation---is a common strategy in the world of intellectual property for private companies focused on information technology. Free software and open source ("FOSS") projects, however, are historically wary of defensive patenting. Why is this? And what strategies might make defensive patenting more appealing to the FOSS community? In this talk, UC Berkley's Jason Schultz and Jennifer Urban proposed a possible defensive patent strategy (including a proposed license) for FOSS and discussed the advantages and challenges (legal, economic, and cultural challenges) of their approach.
Jason M. Schultz is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Law and Director of the Samuelson Law, Technology & Public Policy Clinic at the UC Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall).Before joining Boalt Hall as a faculty member in the Samuelson Clinic, he was a Senior Staff Attorney at the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF).Prior to EFF, he practiced intellectual property law at the firm of Fish & Richardson, P.C. and served as a clerk to the Honorable D. Lowell Jensen of the Northern District of California.
At EFF, Schultz handled numerous high-profile intellectual property and technology matters affecting the public's interests in free expression, fair use, and innovation with an emphasis on issues of copyright law, reverse engineering, digital rights management, and patent law reform. He also founded EFF's Patent Busting Project.
Jennifer M. Urban joined Berkeley Law in 2009 as an Assistant Clinical Professor of Law and Director of the Samuelson Law, Technology & Public Policy Clinic at the UC Berkeley School of Law. Prior to Berkeley Law Jennifer was at the University of Southern California's Gould School of Law, where she founded and directed the USC Intellectual Property & Technology Law Clinic and taught classes on issues related to intellectual property, privacy and individual rights in a world of rapid technological and societal change.
At USC, Urban's clinic students represented public interest clients in numerous cases and projects related to IP and technology law, including, for example: copyright legislative work on "orphan works;" consumer counseling work around web reputation and privacy; defensive patent licensing; and work with small filmmakers and other artists on fair use, licensing and free expression.
Standard YouTube License
- 4:31 The History of Googleby WatchMojoFeatured 43,106
- 1:07:15 Tim Wu discusses The Master Switch - Stanford Center for Internet and Societyby stanfordcis 1,904 views
- 1:08:06 (Full Version) Kevin Poulsen - Stanford Center for Internet and Societyby stanfordcis 8,935 views
- 34:51 CIS Fair Use Legal Experts Answer Fair Use Questions - Stanford Center for Internet and Societyby stanfordcis 118,411 views
- 58:50 (Full Version) Josh Silver - Stanford Center for Internet and Societyby stanfordcis 298 views
- 1:10:01 Eben Moglen - Patents at a Crossroads: Bilski and Beyondby wwwhatsup 2,910 views
- 1:02:20 Strategic Innovation and the Intellectual Property Rightsby CornellUniversity 826 views
- 1:29:09 Patent Law and Policyby SIEPR1 3,197 views
- 1:43:16 10/26/2010: IP & Legal Issuesby UCBerkeleyHaas 988 views
- 7:35 Patent Law with Prof. Mark Lemley Part 1by tastytrade1 2,590 views
- 52:02 Intellectual Property: How to Review a Patent Applicationby UCtelevision 26,380 views
- 56:02 Rethinking IP Completely | Stephan Kinsellaby LibertyInOurTime 5,051 views
- 11:08 Steps to reach a licensing agreement: Ask The Patent Attorneyby PatentHome 170 views
- 47:54 Intellectual Property at Software Companiesby Adam Marcus 271 views
- 41:07 Monetizing Intellectual Property, IP An Increasingly Important Asset Classby piercelaw 451 views
- 1:41:35 Patent Trolls and You: EFF Virtual Boot Camp for App Developersby EFForg 1,854 views
- 20:20 Niall Ferguson: The 6 killer apps of prosperityby TEDtalksDirector 107,519 views
- 15:04 Patent Infringement Damages - a US Overviewby WittenLawLtd 813 views
- 50:59 Patents and Licensingby DardenMBA 696 views
- 2:38 License an inventionby bobfptp 274 views
- Loading more suggestions...