This video is unavailable.
Germany finds horsemeat in lasagne
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Feb 14, 2013
Horsemeat has been detected in frozen lasagne on sale in Germany and supermarkets have started removing the product from their shelves.
The Real supermarket chain said it had withdrawn TiP frozen lasagne - the latest tainted processed food to figure in a Europe-wide scandal.
Other German retailers including Tengelmann and Rewe are now checking their processed beef products too.
The EU is urging member states to conduct random tests for horsemeat.
All members should carry out DNA tests on processed beef for traces of horsemeat for three months from 1 March, the EU health commissioner said on Wednesday.
German authorities suspect a batch of lasagne sent from Luxembourg to a retailer in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
On Wednesday the state's Consumer Affairs Minister, Johannes Remmel, said that "after analysing the data we have learned that through a middleman in Luxembourg, a significant amount of goods has been shipped to Germany and North Rhine-Westphalia, and those goods are suspected, and I repeat only suspected, to have not been properly labelled".
The shipment is believed to have taken place between November 2012 and January 2013.Comigel connection
Mr Remmel said frozen processed foods had arrived in Germany, via Luxembourg, from Comigel - the supplier in northeastern France which sent mince containing horsemeat to several UK retailers.
The supermarket giant Tesco, frozen food firm Findus and budget chain Aldi received mince containing horsemeat from Comigel.
The French firm denied wrongdoing, saying it had ordered the meat from Spanghero, a firm in southern France, via a Comigel subsidiary in Luxembourg - Tavola.
The supply chain reportedly led back to traders in Cyprus and the Netherlands, then to abattoirs in Romania.
On Wednesday the EU Health Commissioner Tonio Borg said EU states should test not only for horsemeat but also for the presence of the veterinary medicine phenylbutazone ("bute"), thought to be potentially harmful to humans.
Mr Borg was speaking after a meeting with ministers from the UK, France and other affected countries in Brussels.
He said the programme of random tests should report after 30 days, but testing should continue for three months.
The scandal has raised questions about the complexity of the food industry's supply chains across the EU.
There are now calls for more specific labelling on processed meat products in the EU, to show country of origin, as in the case of fresh meat. But the cost of doing that may trigger opposition from food manufacturers.
Romania has denied claims that it was to blame for the mislabelling.
Germany's Consumer Protection Minister Ilse Aigner called the mislabelling situation "a mess" and said the EU must put an effective food surveillance system in place to detect fraud. Speaking on German ARD television, she stressed that it was a problem of fraudulent labelling, not public health.
Blog : http://patrynworldlatestnews.blogspot...
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patryn.worldl...
Standard YouTube License
- 12:27 tara hategului - 1by romaniaazi 1,788 views
- 1:56 Prisoner X told reporter 'I'm no spy'by patrynxxxFunChannel 160 views
- 5:20 German Sauerkraut And Bratwurst Recipeby WoodlandGardener 546 views
- 3:44 THE LATEST NEWS : Amb: Romania not to blame for horse meatby RJ Brenda 56 views
- 1:42 14th.Feb Live Updates: Paralympic track star Oscar Pistorius 'shoots girlfriend dead'by patrynxxxFunChannel 1,137 views
- 3:58 Horse Meat (Plus What Else?!) in Packaged Foodby TheLipTV 1,094 views
- 1:43 Laminitis in Horses - Organic Laminitis Treatments That Really Work from Laminitis Rescueby LaminitisTreatment 8,366 views
- 4:20 german foodby sa92k2 13,850 views
- 1:09 Fast food ice dirtier than toilet water, study findsby FullTVNews 2,885 views
- 3:26 The Indoor Playground Episode #69 TheRealParents .comby Sandra Quast 179,078 views
- 1:40 Horsemeat may have been in lasagne since last summerby pressassociation 112 views
- 7:29 WORLDS GREATEST DUTCH OVEN POTATOES AND BBQ CHICKEN RECIPEby Hushin With LaVere 13,280 views
- 1:16 Still more horse meat found in European 'beef' productsby Euronews 610 views
- 12:21 Grown Up Girly / Date Night Lookby Lisa Eldridge 786,170 views
- 1:00 Horsemeat: Four New Products Test Positiveby eyeonsky6 222 views
- 4:53 № 516 США Магазин ALDI Самые низкие цены на Продуктыby FloridaYalta 18,355 views
- 0:36 Nestle is drawn into the horsemeat scandalby Euronews 345 views
- 5:14 Guatemala 0 Argentina 4 (Relato Walter Nelson) Amistoso Internacional 2013 Los goles (14/6/2013)by Futbolpasionmundial3 5,171 views
- 3:34 Findus beef lasagne contained up to 100% horsemeat, FSA saysby Sandwellnews 43 views
- 1:44 Horsemeat traces found in Halal school dinners ITVby Mohammed Saleem 128 views
- Loading more suggestions...