This video is unavailable.
MaximsNewsPEOPLE: MARGARET CHAN of WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 20, 2010
MaximsNewsPEOPLE: 07 April 2010 - WHO - UNAMA: Geneva - Margaret Chan, World Health Organization Director General: "In every corner of the world, certain city dwellers suffer, they suffer disproportionately from poor health and these inequities can be traced back to the differences in their social and living conditions.
"Ladies and gentlemen, cities are growing larger and larger and their populations of the poor are growing larger even faster.
"One of the best ways to measure urban harm, is really to look at the gaps in health outcomes between the rich and the poor living in the same cities, sometimes just a few blocks between them.
"Most obviously the health consequence of poverty and squalid living conditions are contagious in a city setting.
"They are detrimental to all city dwellers. In developing countries, the best urban governance can help produce 75 years or more of life expectancy but poor urban governance, life expectancy can be as low as 35 years."
Marking World Health Day 2010, the World Health Organization (WHO) today (7 April) issued five calls to action to build a healthy and safe urban environment.
The five include, promoting urban planning for healthy behaviors and safety; improving urban living conditions; ensuring participatory urban governance; building inclusive cities that are accessible and age-friendly; and making urban areas resilient to emergencies and disasters.
Virtually all population growth over the next 30 years will be in urban areas, signaling that urbanization is here to stay. It is associated with many health challenges related to water, environment, violence and injury, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) and their risk factors like tobacco use, unhealthy diets, physical inactivity, harmful use of alcohol as well as the risks associated with disease outbreaks.
This year health-related events and activities take place in six cities (Kabul, Jalalabad, Kandahar, Herat, Kunduz and Mazar-i-Sharif) as people and organizations join the World Health Organizations campaign 1000 cities 1000 lives.
SOUNDBITE (English) Peter Graaff, Country Director of the World Health Organization in Afghanistan:
"In short, lifestyle-related health risks for both the rich and the poor have increased substantially due to urbanization.
Since the health conditions in urban slum especially require urgent attention, WHO urges city planners, our United Nations partners, civil society and community leaders to work together and to pool their resources and by that I mean their human capital predominantly - the resources and efforts to improve health and quality of life in order to reduce health inequity in urban slums. ................................ ( WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION: WHO ) ........................................
News Network for the United Nations and the International Community.
"GIVING POWER & RESONANCE TO THE VOICE OF THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY" ........................................
Standard YouTube License
- 10:28 The World Health Organization and the SCOAP Surgical Checklist: A System for Safer Surgeryby SCOAPchecklist 15,542 views
- 6:03 WHO Director-General (part 1) - Opening Sessionby MDRTBmeeting 709 views
- 4:33 Health, Equity, and Education for Allby WorldBank 5,158 views
- 3:45 MaximsNewsNetwork: WORLD HEALTH in 2009 DR MARGARET CHAN W.H.O.by MaximsNewsNetwork 248 views
- 2:14 World Health Organization declares H1N1 as Pandemic Level 6by sinbishop94 7,974 views
- 18:23 Compact Signing Ceremony with Moldovaby millenniumchallenge 663 views
- 5:00 Babul Ka Aangann Chootey Naby varsha9111 3,486 views
- 3:40 World TB Day 2013by hmyesudian 757 views
- 1:07 More nations halt Japan importsby newsxlive 1,772 views
- 3:44 Bill Gates Admits Vaccines Are Used for Human Depopulationby Philip Jonkers 752,830 views
- 8:23 World Health Organisation - Agreement WHO / IAEA - English subtitlesby Independentwho 303 views
- 10:22 World Health Organization Raises Pandemic Alertby jimbonumber9 298 views
- 12:55 TEDxLansing-Theresa Bernardo-Save Yourself!by TEDxTalks 1,313 views
- 5:09 World Health Day 2010 - Promotional videoby WHD2010 11,785 views
- 1:07:29 GlaxoSmithKline whistleblower speaks out about bribery of doctors, off-label marketing of drugsby TheHealthRanger 21,351 views
- 4:05 UN: Chronic, Non-Communicable Disease Is World's Leading Killerby VOAvideo 1,451 views
- 5:55 WHO discusses Health 2020 in Andorraby WHO Regional Office for Europe 974 views
- 2:28 MaximsNewsGLOBALHEALTH: BILL GATES to WORLD HEALTH ASSEMBLY - IMMUNIZE EVERY CHILDby MaximsNewsPEOPLE 544 views
- 11:03 The shocking truth about what's really in vaccines: Mercury, MSG, Formaldehyde, Aluminumby TheHealthRanger 58,857 views
- 5:40 World Health Organisation - Do they really care about us? Herbal Medicine Ban in the pipeline?by Youmukranda 621 views
- Loading more suggestions...