Ancestor's Tale for Kids, pt 2 of 2 - interactive program based on book by Richard Dawkins
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 17, 2012
Final part of 90-minute kids program recorded live with a mixed-age group (4 to 12) of kids at a Unitarian Universalist weekend camp in Georgia USA. Science writer Connie Barlow becomes a child again herself as she leads the kids through a journey back through time. They stop to learn about each special ancestor that humans share in common with other species alive today. (Richard Dawkins called these special ancestors "concestors" in his 2004 book, "Ancestor's Tale: Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution.")
On this journey the group pauses at 40 "confluences" where humans meet an ancestor that we share with other species alive today. Part 2 resumes with Confluence #11, which happens 85 million years ago on our journey back through time. There we greet the great-g-g-g grandparent we share with a whole lot of big mammals, including all the cats, dogs, bears, hoofed mammals, walruses, whales, bats, and many more.
Learn more about how to teach this program yourself -- and download free slides (in jpg, ppt, or keynote), scripts in PDF, and teacher's guide at this webpage:
Click blue timestops below to instantly move the video cursor to each topic:
00:01 #11 - common ancestor of all Laurasiatheres 85 mya (cats, dogs, horses, whales, etc.)
02:06 Q by child: "Was my great-great ancestor a human like us or was it actually an animal with 4 legs?"
03:47 Discussion begins of why some people don't accept evolution as our history.
04:00 Q by child as to why people don't accept evolution.
04:33 "Who is proud to be related to a lemur?"
05:14 SONG for #11 (Laurasiatheres)
05:58 #12 Xenarthrans (mammals who evolved in South America)
09:07 kinesthetic - walk on sides of feet like a ground sloth
12:22 plate tectonics - Isthmus of Panama connects to South America
15:44 Q by child: "When did dragons live?"
17:10 Connie tells story of her touching the mummified poop of a giant ground sloth
20:48 SONG for #12 Xenarthrans
22:03 children say what their favorite dinosaur is
23:33 #13 Afrotheres (elephants etc. who evolved in Africa)
26:20 SONG for #13
26:52 #14 Marsupial Mammals
30:13 SONG for #14
30:44 #15 Monotremes (Duckbilled Platypus)
32:28 SONG for #15
32:56 kinesthetic - Connie teaches DANCE for song
Note: This is a very flexible program. It entails a total of 40 ancestor points, but you can never get through them all in one session. So watch as the kids leave individually as their parents show up. After they all sing the song for Ancestor confluence #17 (Amphibians), Connie tries to end the whole session, but the few remaining children ask her to keep going until their parents arrive.
35:38 #16 Reptiles and Birds
37:25 SONG for #16
37:55 "How many of you are proud to be related to a turtle?"
39:13 #17 Amphibians
45:48 SONG for #17 (Amphibians)
47:36 "How many of you are proud to be related to a salamander?"
47:42 "Were there any cavemen living with the dinosaurs?"
47:51 "Do you think our great-g-g-g-grandparents ever looked like bacteria?"
48:03 Connie explains that we've run out of time, but if we kept going, we'd have to visit a total of 40 confluence points to get back to when our ancestors were still just bacteria. The children ask her to keep going, so . . .
48:17 #18 lungfish, #19 coelacanth, #20 fish
48:54 SONG for #18, #19, #20
49:23 #21 sharks and rays
50:07 SONG for #21 (sharks and rays)
50:34 #22 lampreys and hagfish
52:58 #23 lancelets
53:45 SLIDES, SCRIPTS, TEACHERS GUIDE freely available for download at:
Visit more free evolutionary children's curricula on Connie's website at this page:
Part 1 of "Ancestor's Tale for Kids" on video at:
Standard YouTube License
- 49:12 The Day The Earth Nearly Died (Documentary)by BBCHORlZONFeatured 63,068
- 40:30 Climate Change and Extreme Weather: Prof. Jennifer Francis (2013)by ghostsofevolution 6,763 views
- 20:27 Ian Lawton Preaches "Inspiring Atheism" and Freethinking (July 2012)by ghostsofevolution 552 views
- 2:04 Thomas Berry recites his "Earth's Desire" poemby ghostsofevolution 242 views
- 1:07:54 There is no evidence for creation - Hook #3by dodgecentersda 53 views
- 2:00:23 SOMETHING FROM NOTHING ? [OFFICIAL] Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss [HD] 02-04-12by ShirleyFilms 660,526 views
- 12:24 Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss - Discussing 'The Unbelievers' on The Morning Show by LeCaNANDian 46,389 views
- 59:09 BBC Natural World - The Real Jungle Book Bearby proudgeekybaby87 159,154 views
- 6:39 Lawrence Krauss & Richard Dawkins - Superstição e a Caixa de Skinner (LEGENDADO)by Luc Anderssen 2,807 views
- 44:00 Children's Video About Dinosaursby slaves4christ 156,890 views
- 14:37 Richard Dawkins San Diego 2012 part 2 of 4.mp4by InnerNarrative 527 views
- 8:53 What is Evolution?by Stated Clearly 75,663 views
- 15:00 Richard Dawkins San Diego 2012 part 1 of 4by InnerNarrative 1,597 views
- 4:24 Richard Dawkins on Deepak Chopraby TheCurmudgen 1,667 views
- 15:04 The Evolution of Mammals (Episode 1: Meet the Synapsids)by Tioliah 22,823 views
- 3:25 Human Evolutionby CeeSee7 359,750 views
- 8:40 Dawkins' Speech at Rock Beyond Belief Part Threeby Nick Sabot 139 views
- 4:05 Richard Dawkins Demonstrates the Clearly Unintelligently Designed Laryngeal Nerve of the Giraffeby TheInformedAtheist 11,424 views
- 10:04 Richard Dawkins Interviews Creationist Wendy Wright (Part 1/7)by AtheistPlanet2 1,252,708 views
- 6:22 Common Reading Program 2012 - A Year of Living Generouslyby McMasterUTV 450 views
- Loading more suggestions...