Schwab 60 Seconds in Money™ Episode 1
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Apr 6, 2012
Episode 1 of Charles Schwab's financial news video series, :60 Seconds in Money™, discusses interesting tax deductions, the elimination of the penny in Canada and the MegaMillions Jackpot.
Hello, and welcome to our first edition of :60 Seconds in Money™, a light-hearted look at money-related news. From Charles Schwab, I'm Mike Cianfrocca.
With April 17th fast approaching, we're seeing lots of chatter on social media about ways to decrease your tax liability. For example, we recently learned that bodybuilders may be able to deduct body oil expenses. Funny, but I don't even remember posing for that picture.
One man wrote off the cost of installing a swimming pool as a medical expense. But a struggling business owner who tried to write off what he paid to an arsonist to burn down his business wound up going to jail. Be sure to check with your tax professional before you claim that home re-model as a business expense.
The Canadian penny is on the way out. Apparently it costs the Canadian government 1.4 cents for each penny they mint. Americans can only shake their heads at the folly of producing coins that aren't worth what they cost to mint.
Of course, the American penny costs 2.4 cents to mint, and the nickel costs 11.2 cents. But according to a spokesperson from the U.S. Mint, "they're worth it." Even though, in fact, they're not.
And now it's time for our Tweet of the Week. It comes from @Farnoosh, who tweeted "1/3 of nation - 100 million Americans - played #MegaMillions last week, and there are only 3 winning tickets."
Coincidentally, 1 in 3 Americans also does not get enough sleep. The reason they don't get enough sleep? They're dreaming of the hundreds of millions of dollars they won't be winning in MegaMillions.
Well that's all for this edition of :60 Seconds in Money™. For more from Schwab, you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and read our blog at About Schwab.com.
I'm Mike Cianfrocca. And remember, when you want to talk about your money Talk to Chuck. We'll give you more than :60 seconds.
I'll see you next week.
The information provided herein is intended for education and entertainment purposes to help educate public around personal finances and financial responsibility and should not be considered an individualized recommendation or personalized investment advice.
The Charles Schwab Corporation and/or affiliates may publish or otherwise express other viewpoints or opinions that may be different from certain of the viewpoints or opinions expressed in these materials.
Individuals and websites mentioned are not affiliated with or endorsed by Schwab. Views expressed by a 3rd party are their own and are obtained from what are considered reliable sources. However, accuracy, completeness or reliability cannot be guaranteed.
© 2012 Charles Schwab & Co., Inc, All rights reserved. (0412-2534)
Standard YouTube License
- 1:43 Schwab :60 Seconds in Money™ Episode 2by CharlesSchwab 1,171 views
- 2:02 Schwab :60 Seconds in Money™ Episode 3by CharlesSchwab 840 views
- 3:28 Schwab's Liz Ann Sonders on a U.S. Manufacturing Renaissanceby CharlesSchwab 918 views
- 2:09 Schwab :60 Seconds in Money™ Episode 4by CharlesSchwab 129,360 views
- 1:00:00 Too Good to be True- The Rise and Fall of Bernie Madoff Part 1by MSLawdotedu 20,424 views
- 0:31 Charles Schwab Commercial with Ringo Starr in 2000by Ennio Cavuoto 4,595 views
- 1:29:37 Lindsey Williams - Plans of Illuminati for Global Control - Debtby SilverHurricane2970 1,589 views
- 7:22 Funniest Commercialsby alejo9496 5,511,111 views
- 11:24 Warren get rich style - send video to friends - How to Turn $39 into $5 Millionby Chuck White 18,086 views
- 10:00 Attract Money Subliminalby Iamvibration 44,514 views
- 9:03 Dave Ramsey's Life. Money. Hope. Part 2by Roger Hiers 66,756 views
- 8:03 Rollin' 40 crips :Money thrown out SUV windows in South LA -Part 2by HoodNews 22,565 views
- 2:03 Louis C.K. on Father's Dayby CBS 561,415 views
- 4:48 Incredible Video Game Chairby MrEpicbread 4,019,314 views
- 8:49 Charles Schwab Speaks to Newsmaxby NewsmaxTV 3,546 views
- 2:15 Charles Schwab case studyby maxsmnv 5,606 views
- 2:19 Open a Broker account and get .3 pipsby Casey Stubbs 270 views
- 1:37 I am a Debt Free Man!by diymike 7,005 views
- 5:17 Merrill Lynch's $100 Billion Womanby forbes 5,903 views
- 1:40 Charles 'Chuck' Schwab tells Mark Thompson about how his suffering made him a leaderby leaderpowertools 4,304 views
- Loading more suggestions...