Rapper's Delight - The Sugarhill Gang (1979)
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Apr 8, 2011
"Rapper's Delight" was a 1979 single by American hip-hop trio The Sugarhill Gang. While it was not the first single to feature rapping, it is generally considered to be the song that first popularized hip-hop in the United States and around the world. The song was ranked #248 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, and #2 on VH1's 100 Greatest Hip-Hop Songs. In late 1979, Debbie Harry of the group Blondie suggested that Chic's Nile Rodgers join her and Chris Stein at a hip-hop event, which at the time was a communal space taken over by teenagers with boom box stereos playing various pieces of music that performers would break dance to. Rodgers experienced this event the first time himself at a high school in the Bronx. A few weeks later, Blondie, The Clash and Chic were playing a gig in New York at Bonds nightclub. When Chic started playing "Good Times", rapper Fab Five Freddy and what were the original members of The Sugarhill Gang jumped up on stage and started rapping freestyle with the band. A few weeks later Rodgers was on the dance floor of New York club LaViticus and heard the DJ play a song which opened with Bernard Edwards' bass line from Chic's "Good Times". Rodgers approached the DJ who said he was playing a record he had just bought that day in Harlem. The song turned out to be an early version of "Rapper's Delight", which also included a scratched version of the song's string section. Rodgers and Edwards immediately threatened legal action over copyright issues, which resulted in a settlement and them being credited as co-writers. Rodgers admitted that he was originally upset with the song, but would later declare it to be "one of [his] favorite songs of all time", also saying that "as innovative and important as 'Good Times' was, 'Rapper's Delight' was just as much, if not more so." "Rapper's Delight" hit #36 on the U.S. pop charts, and #4 on the U.S. R&B chart. In 1979 it became the first hip-hop single to go gold. The following year, the song was the anchor of the group's first album "The Sugarhill Gang". It was the first Top 40 song to be available only as a 12-inch extended version in the U.S., and no U.S. 7-inch, 45-RPM record was made. In Europe, however, it was released on the classic 7-inch single format, with a shorter version of the song. The original members, all from Englewood, New Jersey, called themselves Wonder Mike (born Michael Anthony Wright on April 30, 1957), Big Bank Hank a.k.a. 'Imp the Dimp' (born 1956 as Henry Jackson) and Master Gee (born Guy O'Brien in 1963). They were assembled into a group by producer Sylvia Robinson who also founded Sugar Hill Records, along with her husband, the record mogul Joe Robinson. This channel is dedicated to all the great rap music from back in the day. The music that started the whole hip-hop revolution, the incredible music from the 70s, the 80s, and the early 90s . . . The Roots Of Rap are here!
For music videos of the Old School funk, go to:
If you like relaxing with some classic Cool Jazz, go to:
If you love jamming to some great Classic Rock, check out:
Check out my newer music videos and other fun stuff at:
If you like college football & other aspects of life at The Ohio State University, go to:
Check out my news videography stuff at:
Also, check out my youngest daughter (the world's youngest video producer) at:
To stay updated about all my projects, please join my Facebook fan page:
And coming in 2012-2013 . . .
DJ Buddy Love presents LONGEVITY . . .
A world record club DJ mixing marathon charity event . . .
121 hours nonstop to benefit cancer research . . .
Live to the world via UStream, Facebook, YouTube & Twitter . . .
More details coming soon . . .
Copyright 1979 Sugar Hill Records
All Rights Reserved
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Rapper’s Delight" on
- 48 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 14:46 The Sugar Hill Gang - Rapper's Delight ( HQ, Full Version )by dutchmanmmFeatured 2,065,887
- 14:46 The Sugarhill Gang - Rappers Delight Lyrics (FULL VERSION)by lyricspeople1234 1,102,088 views
- 6:15 Sugarhill Gang Apache (Jump On It)by TheHawaiianTropic 6,619,375 views
- 6:07 The Sugarhill Gang - Apache (Jump On It) Lyricsby lyricspeople1234 389,196 views
- 6:11 Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delightby hiphoponwax 7,555,448 views
- 3:17 Bob Sinclar & Sugarhill Gang - Lala Song (Official video)by blancoynegro 10,549,492 views
- 4:37 Just Dance 3 - The Sugarhill Gang - Apache (Jump On It)by UmbyThePhoenix 1,102,640 views
- 3:31 Sugar Hill Gang - Rappers Delightby globalimageworks 658,828 views
- 5:55 Rappin' Duke - Shawn Brown a.k.a. The Rappin' Duke (1984)by djbuddyloverootsrap 144,839 views
- 1:17 Jump On It - Fresh Princeby Ridgeburner 4,745,013 views
- 30:38 70s Disco Hits !! - Mix!! - HD - 30 Min long Megamix!!! Best!!! Top!!! Classics!!!by Hoodlab 6,852,408 views
- 6:03 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Messageby VintageHipHopSeattle 401,186 views
- 101 videos Play all gayby Bradiwhine
- 8:11 Good Times - Chic (1979)by djbuddyloveoldschool 1,027,142 views
- 0:31 Banned commercial - dangers of working at homeby aguzal 7,151,213 views
- 10:12 [ENG SUB] Mamoru Takamura versus Brian Hawk VIIby MowserM 839,583 views
- 4:03 Johnny Cash Hurtby beachbuggy 54,090,359 views
- 13:43 Michael Jackson - Thrillerby michaeljacksonVEVO 136,909,500 views
- 9:57 Alien Technology - The TR-3B How it Work?by justa4t 873,357 views
- 5:25 Five Minutes Of Funk - Whodini (1984)by djbuddyloverootsrap 599,669 views
- 3:10 Tuomas Kauhanen - Miksi naiset rakastuu renttuihin? (virallinen musiikkivideo)by TuomasKauhanen 787,587 views
- Loading more suggestions...