Olympic Ye Shiwen 400m Medley World Record at London Olympics clouded in doping allegations?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jul 30, 2012
Olympic Ye Shiwen 400m Medley World Record 4:28.43 at the London Olympics recently is clouded in allegations. Chinese swimmer world record holder at london olympics. China's Ye Shiwen shatters world record to win swimming gold at London Olympics. Swam the last splits faster than both Michael Phelps & Ryan Lochte
Ye Shiwen beat out the competition in the final lap of the women's 200-meter individual medley, July 28. (Photo/Xinhua)
China's Ye Shiwen shattered a world record to win a gold medal in the women's 400 individual medley at London Olympics on Saturday.
Ye touched in at 4:28.43 to wipe out the previous record held by triple Olympic champion Aussie Stephanie Rice from Beijing Olympics by one second.
Ye Shiwen was nearly three seconds ahead of silver medalist Elizabeth Beisel from the United States, who clocked 4:31.27. Another Chinese swimmer Li Xuanxu pocketed a bronze at 4:32.91.
Ye Shiwen trailed Rice in the first butterfly leg, then overtook her after the second backstroke leg. Then Ye Shiwen was behind Beisel's lightning-fast breaststroke leg, but finally managed a devastating burst over the last freestyle leg to power home with a gold and a new world mark.
Rice, three-time gold medalist at the Beijing Olympics, was shut out of medals with a sixth place.
"I thought I had lost the race after the first 200 meters, but on the breastroke I realized I was in the top two or three and was confident I could win on the last leg," said Ye after the race.
"I have worked on my butterfly and backstroke since the World Championship, while freestyle is my best leg. Saying that, I never expected to break the world record. I dreamed of gold, but never the record. I am overwhelmed," said Ye Shiwen in tears.
Ye Shiwen, world champion of the 200m individual medley at Shanghai World Championships, was on top of the world after her golden night at the London Aquatic Center. It is the first world record set in the swimming events at London Olympics.
Ye Shiwen joined teammate Sun Yang in the pool to pocket two gold medals for China on the opening day of swimming events. In the men's 400m freestyle, Sun upset defending champion South Korean Park Tae Hwan to mount to Olympic top podium, making himself the first Chinese male swimmer to win an Olympic gold.
One of the big talking points in the media and over on Twitter was the observation that Ye Shiwen, China's 16-year-old 400 individual medley champion, swam the final 100m freestyle leg of her world record (4min 28.43sec) in 58.68, compared with the 58.65 by Ryan Lochte when he won the same event (time of 4:05.18).
Much can (and has) been made of this, and for many different reasons. The first, and the one that I will deal with right upfront, is what it implies about doping. It should come as no surprise that people will be suspicious. It's not just the fact that a world record was broken that arouses suspicion. It is that the record-breaker is only 16 years old, and has improved her time in the event by seven seconds since last year's world championships where she finished fifth in 4:35.
Also, and this has to be said, we regard swimmers from China with more suspicion. There are a few reasons for this and some of them, I do not condone. However, I do appreciate the suspicion — remember, this is the nation that produced a host of world-class runners almost overnight in the early 1990s. They came, they saw, the smashed world records that are yet to be challenged, let alone broken, in the women's 1500m, 3,000m and 10,000m. Then they vanished almost as quickly.
In the pool, history teaches us to be equally skeptical. Just this year, a 16-year old Chinese swimmer tested positive for EPO. In the 1990s, the same thing happened for swimming as happened for running — came, saw, conquered. But in that case, they got caught and then disappeared.
The doping allegations of the 1990s were largely confirmed by officials and sources who reported that doping within Chinese swimming programmes were widespread and institutionalised. That, in turn, would come as no surprise to students of the sport and doping. The practice of institutionalised doping began east of the Berlin Wall in the 1960s, and when the Wall fell, it just went further east.
Ye Shiwen Olympic Ye Shiwen 400m Medley World Record London Olympics "Olympic Games (Broadcast Genre)" swimming swim pool "Swimming (sport)"
Standard YouTube License
- 3:41 London Olympics Yi Shiwen vs Michael Phelps vs Ryan Lochte ? Battle of the hot saucers?by durianriders Featured 39,288
- 4:59 Sleep via early nights important for weight loss + great flat stomach digestion?by durianriders22,053 views
- 1:59 London Olympics Usain bolt vs Yohan blake 2012: Who will win? + 'banana diet'?by durianriders452,591 views
- 4:28 Drugs common at the top of pro sports?by durianriders8,697 views
- 9:30 Usain Bolt new 100m world record: 9.58!!!by MITOGEN1,545,750 views
- 4:19 Sun Yang wins 400m Freestyle at World Championships - Universal Sportsby universalsports7,435 views
- 9:24 Ye Shiwen Breaks 400m Individual Medley World Record - London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics322,740 views
- 3:32 Ye Shiwen 2012 Olympics Champion women's 200 meters final Review 2011 World Swimming Championshipsby HelloBinFeng61,412 views
- 12:31 sun yang 1500m freestyleby aqualinknun130,247 views
- 4:29 Unbelievable diving swimming baby!!! 2 year old Brahman, Swim & Diveby boardasusual1,600,271 views
- 3:25 Rise and Swim (Welcome to the Grind)by Swim Fan715,903 views
- 11:01 Chinese Swimming Prodigy Smashes World Recordby Col. Richard Hunter17,674 views
- Ye Shiwen 565 videos11
- 13:05 Phelps Wins Record Breaking 19th Olympic Medal - London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics562,660 views
- 2:12 Olympics Swimmer Ye Shiwen Under Scrutiny after Record Win in London Gamesby DAILY BEAST11,217 views
- 2:04 2012 London Olympic：Conference "excited " three timesYe Shi Wen（叶诗文）is no longer calmby Jun Robin41,192 views
- 1:22 British 2012 Olympics Chief: Ye Shiwen is clean, end of storyby ITN73,887 views
- 8:50 2008 US Olympic Trials - Men's 400m IMby Brandon Franklin87,871 views
- 9:29 Ruta Meilutyte Wins Women's 100m Breaststroke Gold - London 2012 Olympicsby Olympics469,133 views
- 3:11 London 2012 Olympics: Chinese Swimmer Makes Wavesby ABC News223,771 views