Lakehead University High Performance Camp with Kyle Julius
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 31, 2012
Kyle Julius Brings *A* Game to Lakehead Basketball Development
THUNDER BAY, Ont. -
Local basketball legend Kyle Julius returned to the cradle of his basketball beginnings, the C.J. Sanders Fieldhouse, to direct a group of 50 local aspiring basketball players through a 3-day High Performance Basketball Clinic. He was also directing the Lakehead men's basketball team through a series of workouts over the weekend.
Kyle, son of former Lakehead women's basketball coach Stu Julius, made a name for himself in Canadian University basketball as a Guelph Gryphon (2nd all-time in scoring), and progressed from there to compete and excel in professional European leagues, and as a member of Team Canada. In addition to his paternal connection to Lakehead, Julius was also a teammate of current Lakehead assistant coach, Matt Erdman in their high school days (Cathedral Gaels, Hamilton ON).
These days, Julius is a professional basketball trainer for elite high school players, and athletes in the CIS, NCAA, and NBA with **A** Game Hoops, a company he founded over a decade ago. His development system combines traditional basketball fundamentals with nutrition, goal setting and film analysis to get the most out of teams and individuals.
One particular point of emphasis for Julius is the importance of being a good teammate. A routine he prescribes for his students is setting daily and weekly goals and reflecting on those to evaluate one's progress. For Julius, being a good teammate unlocks the potential for athletes to become better individually and develop together to accelerate improvement as a team.
Coach Julius summarizes his development strategy with one simple mantra: "Practice hard so that the game is easy."
As a shooting guard, Kyle was not the tallest player on the court, but instead relied on his athleticism and conditioning to bring his game to higher levels, a lesson that is drilled to his students. He also incorporates 'game type situations' and intensity into every drill and workout he runs to push his athletes out of their comfort zone and on the road to steady improvement.
From warm-ups with skipping ropes and medicine balls, to form shooting drills with white cotton gloves (to develop players' touch with the ball), Coach Julius' innovative approach to basketball development is one that engages athletes and produces results.
Coach Scott Morrison has had his eye on coach Julius for some time with intentions of bringing him into the Thunderdome to work with his players and local youth. "I have always admired Kyle as a player and competitor," begins Morrison. "Since the inception of *A* Game Hoops I have gained a great respect for his training methods and philosophies. We jumped at the chance to bring him back home to Thunder Bay where he has had a major impact on the future approach to our basketball development as well as striving to have a championship mentality 24/7."
Says Julius, "I love coming back here to Thunder Bay, I wish I could do it more often."
Sports Information Director
Lakehead University Athletics
Standard YouTube License
- 6:00 Individual Post Workout Lakehead Basketballby Scott MorrisonFeatured 1,176
- 18:41 Lakehead University - For First Year Studentsby Michael Morrison 491 views
- 12:20 Rodney TV Episode 3: Lakehead Thunderwolvesby Rodney Dwira 1,086 views
- 20:59 Kevin Pangos *A* Game 250 TESTby Kyle Julius 3,666 views
- 1:48 Lakehead University Basketball Fans Warm Up to Gangnam Stylby ryantemps 2,428 views
- 12:50 Daily On-Court Workout with Guard Imad Qahwashby Imad Qahwash 1,224 views
- 2:41 Lakehead Thunderwolves Hockey - Recruitment Videoby thunderwolveshockey's channel 1,302 views
- 5:40 Lakehead basketball featureby ouachampionsforlife 1,889 views
- 5:01 Lakehead University - NSSBC 2011by ModernSteel 3,460 views
- 4:08 Scott Morrison Basketball Highlights ThrowBack (Fu-Gee-La).m4vby Scott Morrison 1,998 views
- 4:05 Clackamas - 2011b.mp4by TwistPDX 569 views
- 3:43 Basketball Metabolic Conditioning Workout Part Iby StrongerTeamDotCom 4,351 views
- 20:58 *A*Game 250 Test by Kyle Julius (Kevin Pangos Scores 218)by FlagrantFoulsCanada 6,132 views
- 2:22 Cory Joseph NBA XLby Jimmy Neutch 2,872 views
- 5:36 Elite Basketball Camps - Camp Highlights - Summer 2011by elitebasketballcamps 8,249 views
- 2:31 kobe bryant - summer Workoutsby TommyBunsz 2,623 views
- 5:19 How to Jump Higher! Plyometrics Exercises for Jumpingby Strength Project 35,278 views
- 1:15 2012 Findlay Prep PF Anthony Bennett Highlights from 2012 McDonald's All American Weekby Prep1Force 4,460 views
- 5:40 Scott Seeley ReMixby Scott Morrison 835 views
- 2:14 CANADA BASKETBALL - Senior Men's Training Campby JIFILMS 4,840 views
- Loading more suggestions...