Published on Apr 10, 2013
Demo of Migration and Upgrade of Symantec Enterprise Vault Server from EV 9.0 32bit OS to EV 10.0 64bit OS at the same time.
Before you migrate any of your Enterprise Vault servers, ensure that your backups of Enterprise Vault data are up to date.
Check that direct Upgrade / Migration Path from EV version to EV version is supported.
Prepare your Enterprise Vault environment for the migration according to the Migration Guide. Suspend Exchange archiving (turn off site schedule) and delete the MSMQ queues on the source server. Place EV server into Backup mode.
Check all Pre-Reqs for New EV 10 (Exchange and SQL versions and permissions etc). Run Deployment scanner from new EV Server.
Prepare new EV server - Install all pre-reqs and install EV 10.0.3 [Do not run the EV configuration wizard]
Download Enterprise Vault Server Settings Migration wizard
Run server migration Wizard in Existing EV which will create an export package wizard.
• Check the report and save - this will tell you which volumes needs to be remounted using which drive letters in new EV server
• Once export completed it will disable EV services in old EV server
• Migrate Enterprise Vault data - Mount all necessary volumes in new EV server using the same drive letter and path
Change DNS alias of old EV (or site alias) to point to new EV (or new EV server Alias) server
• Make sure to run flushdns in new EV Server and check pinging EV Alias and make sure that it is resolving to new EV server
Run the server migration wizard and import configuration in new EV Server
• After completion services will be "stopped" state.
• Start Directory service and wait for the DB upgrade to complete and check event log - Event 8575 (upgrade started) Event 8576 (upgrade completed)
• Next start the storage service and check event log - Event 6958 (upgrade started) Event 6959 (upgrade complete)
• Next start Indexing service (Indexing service can take some time to start)
• Next start Shopping service
• Next start Task Controller service
Don't forget to reverting environmental changes - Take EV out of Backup mode. Enable site schedule and all other actions taken during preparation of Enterprise Vault environment for the migration
Standard YouTube License