Wyden on PIPA: This Presents a Clear & Present Danger to Innovation
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Dec 19, 2011
December 17, 2011: Senator Wyden delivers a floor speech on the motion to proceed to Protect IP, reaffirming his promise to filibuster the bill when it is brought to the floor in January 2012.
"I understand that cloture has been filed on the motion to proceed to the PIPA legislation. As one of a bipartisan group of Senators who strongly objects to proceeding to this bill I believe it is important to begin to outline the very real dangers posed by this bill.
The primary architects of the Internet and our leading cyber-security experts have made it clear that this legislation will undermine the key technologies that prevent fraud and protect consumers on the Internet. Our nation's leading first amendment scholars have made it clear that this bill poses a serious threat to speech and civil liberties for all who use the Internet. And our nation's leading technology employers warn that this bill presents a clear and present danger to innovation and job growth in an area that is going to be a major source of new jobs for this century.
Today, along with Sen. Moran of Kansas and Sen. Cantwell of Washington, I have introduced the OPEN Act. we believe this is a reasonable and bipartisan alternative to the PIPA bill and to the legislation that is before the other body and we hope that the Senate will take the time to consider alternatives before taking action that could deal an enormous body blow to a vital job engine for our economy.
Over the past few weeks more than a million Americans have weighed in strongly in opposition to this legislation. Therefore, I will be working with colleagues on both sides of the aisle over the next month to explain the basis for this wide-spread concern and I intend to follow through on a commitment that I made more than a year ago, to filibuster this bill when the Senate returns in January."
Standard YouTube License
- 20:57 Wyden Talks Protect IP/ SOPA on C-SPAN's The Communicatorsby Ron Wyden2,749 views
- 23:38 Wyden Warns of Potential Public Backlash From Allowing Secret Lawby Ron Wyden11,179 views
- 2:50 Wyden Talks Protect IP on Countdown with Keith Olbermannby Ron Wyden1,009 views
- 19:35 Wyden Chairs Energy Subcommittee with BLM Director Part 2by Ron Wyden1,447 views
- 43:22 Gastronomia insolita - Puerto Ricoby daniel navarro65,541 views
- 42:56 Edward Snowden, A Truth Unveiled (Documentary)by BytezAutomations296,286 views
- 10:50 Snowden's Cryptographer on the NSA & Defending the Internetby MotherboardTV32,403 views
- 57:22 Juicio para Puerto Rico y Estados Unidos -- Miguel Sánchez Ávila junto al pastor René Ortíz,by b0yka150,113 views
- 3:17 SOPA/PIPA Authors Become Lobbyistsby TheAlyonaShow10,182 views
- 43:15 Anthony Bourdain No Reservations- Puerto Ricoby Berry Whale89,183 views
- 24:03 'US citizen has no right to free speech?' State Dept spokesperson grilled over Snowdenby RT180,457 views
- 2:30:51 House Judiciary SOPA Markup, Part 3by KeepTheWebOpen2,167 views
- 53:06 SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, Marco Civil da Internet e Lei Azeredo - Brasilianas.org (30/01/2012)by tvbrasil11,765 views
- 15:11 Julian Assange Interview 2013 On Edward Snowden on 'This Week': "Asylum is a Right We All Have"by ABC News179,645 views
- 4:14 STOP SOPA and PIPA [Call To The Community!] [Please LIKE / FAV]by TheDanielSuperShow3,013 views
- 14:02 Wyden Q&A with Witnesses in Hearing on Puerto Rico's Political Statusby SenateEnergy5,026 views
- 10:15 Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden Joins Rand Paul For Historic Bipartisan Filibuster Over Drone Strikesby Les Grossman4,004 views
- 12:30 SOPA Delayed - The PIPA Bill Is Nextby AlphaOmegaSin25,106 views
- 8:40 Jon Stewart Applauds Rand Paul for Filibuster: 'Worth Kicking Up A Fuss For' ~ 3/6/2013by RapsAlive160,546 views
- 14:47 WHAT IS SOPA AND PIPA? (Explained)by BossOfPoundinIt12,252 views
- Loading more suggestions...