Beethoven 3rd Symphony (1/5); 1st movement; Bernstein
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Nov 11, 2008
Ludwig van Beethoven
New York Philharmonic
In his late twenties, Beethoven started to hear buzzing and ringing sounds in his ears. A few years later in 1802, he wrote a distressed letter in a town near Vienna that was addressed to his brothers (yet it remained in his own possession until his death at age 57). The note discussed Beethoven's deteriorating hearing (he eventually went deaf), how it made him feel lonely and anxious around others, and it laid out a will such that his siblings would inherit his wealth when he died.
However, he also wrote in it, "I would have ended my life—it was only my art that held me back." Historians later dubbed this letter, the Heiligenstadt Testament, after the town in which it was written.
This triumph over personal adversity happened concurrently with a significant change in Beethoven's musical style. The works composed after his emotional breakdown in 1802 radiated a new boldness and intrepidity, which often broke the formal rules of the Classical era in music. In fact, the first musical ideas for his Third Symphony—which was completed in 1804—were jotted down merely a few weeks after the Heiligenstadt Testament. Putting these ideas into perspective, it is no wonder why Beethoven's Third Symphony is sometimes deemed a nexus between the Classical and Romantic musical periods.
The Third Symphony's nickname is Eroica, which is Italian for "heroic." Originally, Beethoven planned to call the work, Bonaparte, after Napoleon Bonaparte. But once he learned that Napoleon proclaimed himself the emperor of France, he crossed out the dedication and wrote on the title page, "Heroic Symphony composed to celebrate the memory of a great man."
There are a lot of syncopations (stresses at unexpected times) and dissonances (unstable tone combinations), and wider pitch (highness or lowness of sounds) ranges and dynamics (loudness or softness in sounds) and heavier uses of accents (emphases on notes), to name a few deviations from the Classical era's typical way of writing a symphony.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Symphony No. 3 in E-Flat Major, Op. 55 "Eroica": I. Allegro con brio" on
New York Philharmonic;Leonard Bernstein
- 36 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 59:44 Beethoven: Symphony No 3 in E flat major, 'Eroica' - BBC Proms 2012 (Daniel Barenboim)by MartialVidz 34,722 views
- 26:25 Mozart - Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K. 550 [complete]by Am4d3usM0z4rt 1,320,205 views
- 10:27 Lang Lang plays Beethoven's Sonata No.23 "Appassionata" Op. 57 No. 23 1st Movement.by MusicClassical1 572,174 views
- 52:01 Beethoven Symphony no. 3 - Philippe Herrewegheby avroklassiek 443,352 views
- 45:34 Beethoven: Symphony No.3, "Eroica";Jarvi, DKBby deepnosepicker 53,769 views
- 51:16 Beethoven Symphony 3 - Full Length - Complete 3rd Symphony in HD - Eroica - Sydney Youth Orchestraby A1okEZ 42,713 views
- 41:48 Beethoven - 7th Symphony (Complete) ♫*by obtica1 737,300 views
- 57:30 Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 (Full)by avrilfan2213 309,926 views
- 54:43 Beethoven Symphony No3 Eroica (Muti-Philadelphia Orchestra)by mvvm18 69,808 views
- 27 videos Play all Beethoven Symphony No5by karai1959
- 41:25 Zimerman -Beirnstein play Beethoven 5th concerto(complete)by stromgull 463,393 views
- 10:00 Beethoven 3rd Symphony (3/5); 2nd movement; Bernsteinby mahlerite 143,872 views
- 1:25:37 Beethoven: Symphony No. 9; Handel: Organ Concertoby UCtelevision 2,473,978 views
- 9:49 Beethoven 3rd Symphony (5/5); 4th movement; Bernsteinby mahlerite 82,867 views
- 3:00 Leonard Bernstein Discusses Beethoven's 3rd Symphonyby dericho06 23,227 views
- 13:34 Beethoven, Symphony 9, 2nd movement (complete), Molto vivace, Philharmonia Baroqueby smalin 1,487,448 views
- 8:35 Beethoven - Coriolan Overture (Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker)by GallowsClough 110,453 views
- 23:49 Beethoven, Symphony 9, 4th movement (complete) Ode to Joy), Presto, Philharmonia Baroqueby smalin 521,967 views
- 11:00 L.V. Beethoven - Symphony No.3 E-flat major, Op.55 "Eroica" / Jordi Savallby protestant7 96,336 views
- 7:50 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Symphony No. 25 in G minorby nocturnefm 7,196,896 views
- 10:52 Beethoven - Pastoral Symphony - 1st movementby TheKnightsNYC 137,431 views
- Loading more suggestions...