The Monkees - Last Train To Clarksville
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jan 7, 2011
PLEASE NOTE: I divided my uploads between multiple channels, Bookmark this link in your browser for instant access to an index with links to all of John1948's oldies classics. LINK: http://tinyurl.com/Channel-Index
Unlike most bands of the time, the Monkees were not formed by its members, but rather by TV producers: they were a fictional band in the TV show of the same name. TV producers, Bert Schneider and Bob Rafelson, formulated an idea for a show about a Beatles-like band, then put ads in newspapers, seeking musicians to star in the series. The band was composed of Mike Nesmith, Mickey Dolenz, Davy Jones, and Peter Tork. All the members had some musical experience.
The show debuted on NBC in 1966 and became a huge hit. Each week the group would sing a song or two written by top industry names like Carole King, Neil Diamond and Gerry Goffin, while instrumentation was provided by talented musicians, including Stephen Stills and Harry Nilsson. The Monkees' principle audience consisted of young teenagers and children. Nonetheless singles like 'I'm a Believer' became Top 10 hits, and the 'Prefab Four' became media icons. By 1967 the Monkees were perhaps the most popular band in the US.
But the Monkees themselves grew upset at not being able to play their own instruments or write their own songs, and began to rebel against their producers and record company. The Monkees began playing some of their instruments and writing some songs on 1967's 'Headquarters'. That year they embarked on a major tour, proving they could perform live. By 1968 the Monkees were already deviating from their manufactured image and straining for credibility, starring in the bizarre psychedelic movie 'Head'. That same year the TV series came to a close, and the Monkees broke up within a year or two.
After a temporary revival in the 1980's, the reunited group continues to tour the oldies circuit, usually without Mike Nesmith, who concentrates on the band's behind-the-scenes operations.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Last Train To Clarksville" on
- 2:36 California Dreamin - Mamas & The Papasby GOLDHUNTING.COMFeatured 12,538,442
- 2:45 The Monkees - Daydream Believerby yozan0407 233,613 views
- 12:34 Schockierende Rede von Sahra Wagenknecht (Die Linke) Über den Umgang mit unserem Geldby SuedDeutschandCrew 320,518 views
- 1:48 The Monkees - A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit Youby OrangeTabbyCat3 840,846 views
- 2:56 Monkees - Daydream Believer (1967) HDby Kaete0815007 662,145 views
- 2:55 The Monkees. Daydream Believer. ♫ ♪Tribute to Davy Jones. (1945-2012).by wayne's channel 249,110 views
- 3:56 The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn!by Canal de embryonicsoul 2,328,940 views
- 2:46 The Monkees- I'm a Believerby PHTOCD 287,614 views
- 2:19 The Monkees - Valleriby Song Archives - Max thru Mz 30,579 views
- 4:38 Davy Jones Dead: Fellow Monkees' Bandmember Micky Dolenz Remembers Jones in 'GMA' Interviewby ABC News 38,594 views
- 74 videos Play all Monkees & Beatlesby sourceofmystery
- 2:31 The Monkees - Valleri " Official Video".by terrybrass 508,889 views
- 1:16 Davy Jones - Monkees Auditionby criterioncollection 141,846 views
- 3:28 Stuck In The Middle With You - Stealers Wheelby That '80s Show 6,928,135 views
- 19:05 Monkees Screen Testsby loomyaire 208,778 views
- 4:09 Animals - House Of The Rising Sunby logiax 11,369,857 views
- 2:39 The Monkees - Wordsby John1948NineC 373,493 views
- 2:02 Paul McCartney Tribute to Davy Jones of The Monkees plus song called Silenceby billboardtophits's channel 173,036 views
- 3:01 The Monkees - Daydream Believerby TheVideoJukebox's channel 704,314 views
- 6:45 EURYTHMICS - There Must Be An Angel (live 1987)by Canal de Eduaggr0 64,448 views
- 2:57 A Little Bit Me A Little Bit You - The Monkeesby 45rpmSINGLES 65,322 views
- Loading more suggestions...