Chinatown, New York City - Video tour of Chatham Square, MOCA & Columbus Park
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 9, 2009
Today David Hill with New York Habitat http://www.nyhabitat.com is going to show you a fascinating New York neighborhood, Chinatown. Chinatown is located on the East Side of Lower Manhattan. Let's discover makes this area so special.
Make sure to check New York Habitat blog for more information about Chinatown http://www.nyhabitat.com/blog/2009/07...
What better place to start our tour of Chinatown than in Chatham Square. Once a large open air market in the early 1800's, it became a center for tattoo parlors, flophouses, and saloons in the mid 1800's, but today has turned into a major intersection in Chinatown. You'll find the Kimlau Memorial Arch dedicated to Chinese Americans in the name of freedom and democracy.
Chinatown's History and Landmarks:
On Mott Street, just a few blocks away from Chatam Square, is where in 1858 the Cantonese businessman, Ah Ken, became the first Chinese to immigrate to Chinatown. He eventually opened a successful cigar shop and from that point on, a steady stream of Chinese started settling in the area.
When the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 was enacted the Chinese population in this small neighborhood exploded. Today Chinatown's population is estimated around 100,000.
You may have heard of New York's famous museum, the MoMA, but while you're in Chinatown, be sure to visit the MoCA, the Museum of Chinese in America. At the museum, you'll learn more about the history and culture of Chinese America.
Columbus Park is the largest park in Chinatown and it is a meeting place for locals. If you're a morning person, wander around Columbus Park and you'll get to see locals gathering for Tai Chi. While passing by during the afternoon, you'll find fortune tellers and people playing table games. Moreover, many festivals and outdoor events are organized there every summer.
Mahayana Buddhist Temple:
A visit to Chinatown wouldn't be complete if you don't go to The Mahayana Buddhist temple. Inside you'll find the largest Statue of Buddha rests there seated on a lotus flower. Don't miss it, public services are held on weekends!
If you're planning a trip to New York, be sure to consider renting a vacation rental http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... through New York Habitat. We have apartments http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... here in Chinatown, plus dozens of Bed & Breakfast http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa... located throughout the New York area.
A great example is this one bedroom Chinatown accommodation (NY-14156) http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa...
We also have this cool 1 bedroom loft vacation rental in Chinatown right on Canal Street (NY-12282) http://www.nyhabitat.com/new-york-apa...
Edward Mooney Townhouse:
Speaking of townhouses, did you know that the oldest townhouse in Manhattan is found in Chinatown? It's located at the corner of Bowery and Pell St. Built in 1785 it's been a tavern, a store, a hotel and today it is a bank.
So we've looked at some of the rich history and culture of Chinatown. Now it's time to get down to shopping. Chinatown remains one of the best areas in New York City to find deals on jewelry, purses, bags, hats, tee shirts... the list goes on. So sharpen your bargaining skills and head over to Canal Street for some true Chinatown shopping. Chances are, you won't leave empty handed.
And beyond the designer knock-offs, you'll also find Asian styled products. Many boutiques throughout Chinatown offer authentic clothes at affordable prices. In addition, you'll find art and antique stores that offer typical furniture from China.
I hope you've enjoyed our tour of Chinatown. Of course, there's a lot more to see and do here. If I've missed any of you're favorite Chinatown secrets, be sure to share them by leaving a comment below.
If you're planning a trip to New York, do yourself a favor, skip the boring hotel and rent a furnished apartment through New York Habitat. Hopefully this video has given you an introduction to New York City's Chinatown and you will consider joining us in an apartment in Chinatown soon.
Be sure to check out our other neighborhood video tours to learn more about New York City such as Soho http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPflq6... or Greenwich Village http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFa9pp... .
New York Habitat City Video tour of Chinatown Chatham Square MOCA Columbus Park blog Mahayana Buddhist Temple Edward Mooney Townhouse vacation rental furnished apartment Bed & Breakfast accommodation NY NYC
Standard YouTube License
- 13:47 New York Trip Part 1: How You Dewin...by MissPtv Featured 10,002
- 3:36 New York City - Video Tour of Greenwich Village, Manhattanby New York Habitat66,804 views
- 7:31 New York City & Times Square Night Tourby CosmoPhotography977,688 views
- 2:06 Buying fake products in Chinatown, New Yorkby Brett Rush63,991 views
- 4:59 New York City - Video Tour of SoHo, Manhattanby New York Habitat104,877 views
- 4:47 Harlem, New York City - Video Tour of West Harlem, Central Harlem & Apollo Theaterby New York Habitat49,318 views
- 2:10 Two Minute Tour of New York Cityby TripFilms55,729 views
- 1:53 Chinatown, NYCby mooch cassidy11,267 views
- 54:42 New York Sightseeing Tourby lasvegas77438,282 views
- 1:36 China Town - New Yorkby ayyoovod12,429 views
- 4:27 13 Things To Do In New York Cityby 21stCenturyCat450,314 views
- 2:27 Times Square - Manhattan, New Yorkby 8K Next674,263 views
- 4:41 New York City - Central Park Video Tour Part 1by New York Habitat72,750 views
- UndercoverTourist.com 634 videos26K
- 6:43 New York City : Video Tour of the East Village (Manhattan, NY)by New York Habitat31,377 views
- 2:40 New York City's Brooklyn Bridge - 2 Minute Tourby FacesMedia164,392 views
- 5:59 New York City, Lower East Side of Manhattan Video Tour - Part 1by New York Habitat43,235 views
- 3:40 10 things NOT to do when visiting New Yorkby erikssc79,670 views
- 5:51 Times square, New York City - "Along Broadway" Video toursby New York Habitat16,642 views
- 1:35 New York City - Top 10 Travel Attractions (New York Travel Video)by geobeats213,397 views