Published on Dec 10, 2012
Visit DecoratingMagic on Face Book and Pinterest and Twitter. https://decoratingmagicnashville.com/ Step by step instructions on how to faux paint furniture. Basis for Distressed, Shabby Chic, Cottage, or rustic techniques.
How to Paint Furniture like a Pro.
• Screwdriver and other necessary tools to remove hardware
• Paint can opener
• Stir sticks
• Coarse grit sandpaper and medium grit (60 grit and 100 grit)
• Dust Mask
• Damp and dry rags
• Drop cloth
• Water based primer
• Latex paint (eggshell or satin finish)
• Glazing medium (from the craft or home improvement store...a quart or smaller size)
• Colorant for the glaze (grayish brown craft paint...small bottle)
• 2" foam brush for the polyurethane
• Angled brushes for the primer and paint (I like one called Shortcut from the home improvement store)
• Inexpensive 2" brush to apply the glaze
• Water based polyurethane (matte finish)
• Matte finish spray (optional)
I find my pieces on Craigslist, yard sales, the classifieds, on the curb and a lot of times friends just give me pieces because they know I like them. Good luck. Send me pictures of your pieces! For complete written instructions, please email me at email@example.com.