Sweden: A Supermodel for America?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 22, 2010
To the American mind there may be nothing more quintessentially Swedish than the leggy, blond supermodel.
But there's another Swedish model that inspires almost as much admiration—the Swedish economic model. With a generous welfare state and high living standards, Sweden seems to prove that socialism works. Much of the hope that swept Barack Obama into the White House rests on the belief that America could reach new heights under a regime of enlightened progressivism, that we could be more like the Swedes.
Not so fast, warns Stockholm University sociologist Charlotta Stern: "If an American told me that the US should be more like Sweden I would say I don't think it's possible." The United States can centralize its health care system and pass other laws that mimic Sweden's welfare state polices, says Stern, but it's impossible to replicate a culture that allows those policies to operate about as smoothly as possible. Swedish bureaucracies inspire trust, but their American counterparts (DMV, TSA, IRS) inspire punch lines, if not outrage.
But America could emulate some of the Swedish policies that don't require extensive bureaucracies. Take school vouchers. Teachers unions in America regard the idea as free-market radicalism, but families in Sweden enjoy universal school choice. Sweden adopted its famously progressive policies during the 1970s, but after years of sluggish economic growth the land of ABBA altered its course in the 1990s, adopting a host of free-market reforms, from deregulation to tax cuts.
Although much of the disco-era welfare state remains, economist Andreas Bergh credits the free market reforms with reviving his nation's economy. "Sweden is moving in the market economic direction," says Bergh, "but that does not mean America should be moving in the socialist direction."
What if the two nations continue on in different directions? Maybe some day when America is looking for a way to rejuvenate its economy, pundits will point to a different kind of Swedish model. One that increases individual choice and competition.
"Sweden—A Supermodel for America?" is produced by Daniel B. Klein, and written and produced by Ted Balaker, who also hosts. Shot by Jonathan Liberman and Henrik Devell, with additional production support by Zach Weissmueller and Sam Corcos and post production by Hawk Jensen and Austin Bragg. Special thanks to Niclas Berggren, Martin Borgs, Nils Karlson, and the Ratio Institute.
Approximately 6.00 long.
Go to http://reason.tv for downloadable iPod, HD, and audio versions of this and all our videos, and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic notification when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 3:30 "Language Challenge" - Italian VS Swedishby CutiePieMarzia Featured 6,210,760
- 4:51 A guide to typical Swedish Behaviourby SaraKornet99,841 views
- 3:23 Did I mention Swedish girls were gorgeous?by Cool Travel Videos415,072 views
- 4:10 Future Weapons Sweden [ 2 / 2 ]by xNorthColdx759,495 views
- 29:44 Crise financiere expliquée aux nulsby Blonzyk272,159 views
- 3:34 Sweden - Life Without the Euro | Made in Germanyby DW (English)137,886 views
- 13:26 Stockholm, Sweden part 1by denniscallan441,141 views
- 2:57 Al Franken - Bill O'Reilly's Swedish Studyby AllisonBookworm114,802 views
- 28:01 Prosperity Without Austerity - Swedenby Journeyman Pictures41,633 views
- 4:15 Sweden's Health Care System (ARCHIVE)by KenKW10179,333 views
- 3:03 Welcome to Sweden of Today.by WelcometoSweden409,191 views
- 4:52 Bill Maher Demystifies Socialism & Compares the American Model with the European Modelby 1ex1uger209,307 views
- 4:19 Swedish Survival Guideby medieteknik46,467 views
- 3:04 Sweden Probably The Worlds Best Countryby Kungcocos111495,476 views
- 1:43 Brad Pitt Responds to Socialism in Americaby Steeper331,238,003 views
- 6:58 Toni Warne FULL Blind Audition- Leave Right Nowby Damari Briggs9,621,002 views
- 39:55 An introduction to Swedish cultureby DalarnaUniversity114,055 views
- 5:59 Johan Norberg - Swedish Myths and Realitiesby ReasonTV68,965 views
- 4:40 Modern day Nazi? Anti-immigration wing gaining strength in Swedenby RT88,141 views
- 2:16 Socialism explained on Real Time with Bill Maher, 2011-05-20by brightgeistmovies234,496 views
- Loading more suggestions...