Sweden: A Supermodel for America?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 22, 2010
To the American mind there may be nothing more quintessentially Swedish than the leggy, blond supermodel.
But there's another Swedish model that inspires almost as much admiration—the Swedish economic model. With a generous welfare state and high living standards, Sweden seems to prove that socialism works. Much of the hope that swept Barack Obama into the White House rests on the belief that America could reach new heights under a regime of enlightened progressivism, that we could be more like the Swedes.
Not so fast, warns Stockholm University sociologist Charlotta Stern: "If an American told me that the US should be more like Sweden I would say I don't think it's possible." The United States can centralize its health care system and pass other laws that mimic Sweden's welfare state polices, says Stern, but it's impossible to replicate a culture that allows those policies to operate about as smoothly as possible. Swedish bureaucracies inspire trust, but their American counterparts (DMV, TSA, IRS) inspire punch lines, if not outrage.
But America could emulate some of the Swedish policies that don't require extensive bureaucracies. Take school vouchers. Teachers unions in America regard the idea as free-market radicalism, but families in Sweden enjoy universal school choice. Sweden adopted its famously progressive policies during the 1970s, but after years of sluggish economic growth the land of ABBA altered its course in the 1990s, adopting a host of free-market reforms, from deregulation to tax cuts.
Although much of the disco-era welfare state remains, economist Andreas Bergh credits the free market reforms with reviving his nation's economy. "Sweden is moving in the market economic direction," says Bergh, "but that does not mean America should be moving in the socialist direction."
What if the two nations continue on in different directions? Maybe some day when America is looking for a way to rejuvenate its economy, pundits will point to a different kind of Swedish model. One that increases individual choice and competition.
"Sweden—A Supermodel for America?" is produced by Daniel B. Klein, and written and produced by Ted Balaker, who also hosts. Shot by Jonathan Liberman and Henrik Devell, with additional production support by Zach Weissmueller and Sam Corcos and post production by Hawk Jensen and Austin Bragg. Special thanks to Niclas Berggren, Martin Borgs, Nils Karlson, and the Ratio Institute.
Approximately 6.00 long.
Go to http://reason.tv for downloadable iPod, HD, and audio versions of this and all our videos, and subscribe to Reason.tv's YouTube channel to receive automatic notification when new material goes live.
Standard YouTube License
- 5:33 What is the Happiest Country on Earth -- And Why?by The Young TurksFeatured 214,132
- 39:55 An introduction to Swedish cultureby DalarnaUniversity 91,100 views
- 4:58 How to survive a Swedish dinner partyby Sweden 89,906 views
- Sweden's Official Channel 162 videos3K
- 8:11 Michael Moore...Sverige blir mer och mer som USA !by Menorenodutt 20,854 views
- 4:19 Swedish Survival Guideby medieteknik 31,754 views
- 3:04 Sweden Probably The Worlds Best Countryby Kungcocos111 397,807 views
- 13:26 Stockholm, Sweden part 1by denniscallan 353,868 views
- 3:03 Welcome to Sweden of Today.by WelcometoSweden 325,992 views
- 5:21 10 good things to know about Swedenby Eductus filmer 124,895 views
- 3:04 Is Sweden Really a Paradise of Socialism? Interview with Sven Otto Littorinby atlasnetwork 9,605 views
- 0:43 President Obama Speaks to the Swedish Peopleby soderbergtv2s kanal 273,704 views
- 7:32 Finally In Sweden!by ExchangeDanni 33,939 views
- 3:54 10 Swedish Words you won't find in the English Languageby TheSwedishLad 322,909 views
- 2:02 American girl speaking swedish in swedenby Kelly Deloid 632,257 views
- 28:01 Prosperity Without Austerity - Swedenby journeymanpictures 28,189 views
- 0:23 Power of Sweden - Scania rules the truck worldby powerofsweden 17,775,209 views
- 4:35 Sweden: Swedish Royal Wedding Princess Victoria of Sweden and Daniel (Kungliga Bröllopet)by vilamouragolfvilla 547,735 views
- 3:36 Stockholm, Sweden: As We Travel Europe - Country #29by AsWeTravel 41,239 views
- 2:37 Marc Maron Talks About Swedish Snusby cornerstn 21,315 views
- 1:46 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ENGLAND AND SWEDENby BigSteveFromEngland 64,655 views
- Loading more suggestions...