BARACK OBAMA visit Ireland - His speech at the College Green, Dublin 2011-05-23 CNN video 1/2
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on May 23, 2011
Obama in Ireland to reaffirm 'bonds of affection'
President to visit family's ancestral home before traveling to Britain, France and Poland.
DUBLIN — Beaming before an exultant sea of people, President Barack Obama on Monday reveled in his distant Irish ancestry, offering spirited thanks from tens of millions of Americans who trace their own connections to Ireland. With his wife, Michelle, at his side, the president said: "We feel very much at home."
In a speech devoted as much to personal pride than overt politics, Obama told many thousands gathered in central Dublin that he had come to reaffirm the bonds of affection between the United States and Ireland.
"There's always been a little green behind the red, white and blue," he said to cheers.
'I've come home to find the apostrophe'
Obama spoke in central Dublin shortly after he had downed a pint of Guinness in tiny Moneygall, the small Irish village where his great-great-great grandfather once lived and worked as a shoemaker. It was an improbable and memorable pilgrimage for America's first black president into his Irish past, and Obama soaked it in.
"My name is Barack Obama, of the Moneygall Obamas," the president said. Then, playing off the popular Irish spelling of surnames — O'Bama — the president said, "I've come home to find the apostrophe that we lost somewhere along the way."
The president struck a more serious tone in marking the adversity of Ireland's history and current times, celebrating a country that shares a resilient success with America. "We're peoples, the Irish and Americans, who never stop imaging a better future, even in bitter times," Obama said.
Obama addressed roughly 30,000 people packed into College Green for an open-air event headlined by Obama and billed as a celebration of Irish culture.
Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny introduced the Obamas to a crowd that made clear its desire that he step aside for their distinguished guest as quickly as possible. "Obama!" they chanted as Kenny, undeterred, continued to proclaim the inspiration of Obama's life story.
"The 44th president is different, because he doesn't just speak about the American dream. He is the American dream!" Kenny said before surrendering the podium to thunderous cheers.
Standard YouTube License
- 15:03 BARACK OBAMA visit Ireland - His speech at the College Green, Dublin 2011-05-23 CNN video 2/2by Krzysztof Łuszczki22,317 views
- 2:29 Queen greets Barack and Michelle Obama with 41-gun salute on first day of state visit to UKby The Telegraph66,688 views
- 1:51 Irish roots for Barack Obama - Ancestral home is Moneygall, Ireland.by wwwcelticvideocom18,161 views
- 25:04 President Barack Obama's speech in College Green Dublin Irelandby abetson25,367 views
- 1:09 Air Force One Landing Dublin Airportby MrBillie1b20,449 views
- 15:02 President Obama British Parliament Speech London England (May 25, 2011) [1/3]by DefinitelyAbsolute56,211 views
- 92 videos Play all President Barack Obama (IA)by WolfArden44
- 0:21 William, Kate welcome Obamas in Londonby CBSNewsOnline38,570 views
- 5:26 President Barack Obama's State visit to Ireland (Dublin & Moneygall)by Pianopod5,298 views
- 1:28 Obama speaks Gaelic in Irelandby CBSNewsOnline16,305 views
- 42:24 President Obama Addresses the British Parliamentby The White House322,413 views
- 0:37 Barack Obama's 'beast' limo gets stuck on Dublin embassey rampby The Telegraph79,166 views
- 32:14 President Obama Addresses the Irish Peopleby The White House73,345 views
- 0:27 Obama visits Ireland, an ancestral homeland of hisby CBSNewsOnline6,662 views
- 3:22 Brendan Gleeson at Obama's Irish Visitby theultimatelaugh8,542 views
- 1:51 The 2011 Obama Moneygall visitby wwwcelticvideocom2,525 views
- 1:32:52 (English Subtitle) Obama vs. Romney First Presidential Debate 2012by Chen Stone60,658 views
- 2:07 Obama: "No one more Irish than me"by CBSNewsOnline3,657 views
- 2:41 Highlights of President Obama's state visit to Irelandby RTÉ - Ireland's National Television and Radio Broadcaster15,981 views
- 1:14 Obama and a Guinnessby Eamonn Kneeshaw26,508 views