This video is unavailable.
Cruel Britannia: A Secret History of Torture
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Nov 16, 2012
From the Second World War to the War on Terror, via Kenya and Northern Ireland award-winning investigative journalist Ian Cobain's new book Cruel Britannia explores Britain's role in the development and use of torture. Drawing on previously unseen official documents, and the accounts of witnesses, victims and experts Cobain reveals some stark truths.
With the High Court judgement that a group of Kenyans can claim damages from British government for abuses suffered during the Mau Mau rebellion, and on-going enquiries into the abuse of terror suspects, we will be joined by Cobain and a panel of experts to discuss Britain's record on involvement in the use of torture. We will be asking whether it is to time to challenge the official line that the UK does not 'participate in, solicit, encourage or condone' torture.
Chaired by Humphrey Hawksley, leading BBC foreign correspondent, author and commentator on world affairs.
Ian Cobain, an investigative journalist with the Guardian and author of Cruel Britannia: A Secret History of Torture. His inquiries into the UK's involvement with torture since 9/11 have won the Martha Gellhorn Prize and the Paul Foot Award for investigative journalism, and has been shortlisted for the Orwell Prize. He has also won several Amnesty International Media awards and a Liberty award.
Clive Baldwin, the Senior Legal Advisor for the Legal and Policy office at Human Rights Watch, where he has been working on issues of international law since 2007. His areas of focus include the Middle East, north and west Africa and discrimination law.
Rt Hon David Davis MP, Member of Parliament for Haltemprice and Howden since 1997 and former Shadow Home Secretary. As a Minister in the last Conservative government he served in the Cabinet Office and the Foreign Office. In the latter, he was responsible for Security Policy and European Policy, overseeing the majority of the country's international negotiations.
Dr Ruth Blakeley, a senior lecturer in International Relations at the University of Kent. Her research focuses on state violence and terrorism, particularly by liberal democratic states. Her current project, funded by the UK's Economic and Social Research Council, focuses on analysing the global system of rendition and secret detention. She is the author of State Terrorism and Neoliberalism, and she has published widely on state violence and torture.
Standard YouTube License
- 43:22 Real Ninjas - History Documentaryby HistoricalDocFeatured 39,410
- 1:15:35 Insight with Jeremy Bowen: The Arab Uprisingsby FrontlineClubLondon 425 views
- 1:43:45 First Wednesday: Will 2013 see an end to the conflict in Syria?by FrontlineClubLondon 1,129 views
- 1:32:58 Critiquing the media's approach to the Israel-Palestine conflictby FrontlineClubLondon 42 views
- 1:34:03 On the media: Unprepared, inexperienced and in a war zone | Frontline Club Talksby FrontlineClubLondon 1,351 views
- 49:28 Torture -The Guantanamo Guidebookby bumba claat 475,251 views
- 38:44 Torture Devices - Modern Marvels -History Channel Documentaryby MedSci4U1 19,046 views
- 10:03 25 Most Brutal Torture Techniques Ever Devisedby list25 189,449 views
- 3:28 School Tortures Autistic Teen with Electric Shock Interrogators laughing in the backgroundby CESSqc 27,305 views
- 1:32:47 Cancer - The Forbidden Curesby carlcun1979 459,035 views
- 43:49 Machines of Malice - Death Machines - Discovery World Documentaryby InnovaTech4U 1,475 views
- 1:37:45 What in the World Are They Spraying? (Full Length)by Justin Wallis 1,157,001 views
- 44:41 The Real Ghost Ship - Paranormal Documentaryby slowdive626 347,329 views
- 13:53 UK/USA made use of Uzbek tortureby TheRealNews 22,469 views
- 13:38 NEW WORLD ORDER coming to US, UK, EU - 1by youlawmaster 442 views
- 36:26 MP David Davis in Newsnight Eurozone Debateby David Davis MP 1,187 views
- 3:17 torture in the middle agesby diana60380 29,029 views
- 58:59 The Alastair Campbell Diaries (EP 3) In Power: Politics and Peopleby BLIAR209 4,935 views
- 1:17:54 China: The Roots of Madness (1967) Documentary Filmby rosaryfilms 139,208 views
- 3:32 5 Worst Ways Of Torture Of The Medieval Periodby Top5Roundup 17,606 views
- Loading more suggestions...