Alan Watts - What is Tao?
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jun 11, 2010
In this video Alan Watts contrasts the Abrahamic concept of God with the Ancient Chinese concept of Tao; while also paralleling Tao with Einstein's General Relativity theory.
Most of us know Albert Einstein was a great theoretical physicist, nevertheless not many of us know what he actually achieved. In short Einstein debunked Newton's Mechanical Universe, instead finding our Universe to have an organic nature.
I personally believe sustainable world peace will not be possible until this knowledge is commonplace; for it is no coincidence Einstein had great empathy for all life and was a great humanitarian.
Isaac Newton's equations are extraordinary and extremely useful for describing our everyday world. Yet these equations proved useless for any phenomena outside normal perceptions, such as the extremely fast or the extremely small.
This is simply because Newtonian physics is a product of sensory awareness and therefore incapable of describing any other reality beyond our five senses. If Newton's laws conclusively accounted for Nature, the mathematics would work at all levels and speeds, yet it doesn't.
It must also be noted that although Newton could accurately measure gravity, he remained unable to explain what it actually was, simply assigning the process to God. The reason gravity could not be explained by Newtonian physics is that it is akin to a flat map of a spherical world. A map maybe extremely useful, but as Korzybski pointed out, "The map is not the territory".
Born 150 years after Newton, Albert Einstein instinctively understood there was an intrinsic difference between experiences and fundamental reality. This enabled the great theoretical physicist to perceive time (duration), space (distance) and mass (energy), not as something fixed as in Newtonian physics; but rather a point of view he called "Relativity".
Free from the everyday experience of the rigidity of time, space and mass; Einstein was able to determine gravity was actually the warping of space and time by mass. This is very difficult for us to conceive since our sensory awareness is incapable of perceiving space, time and mass as anything but temporal, linear and solid. Nevertheless the warping of the space-time continuum by mass has been conclusively proved by experimentation and must be factored into all satellite navigation devices.
Therefore if one is to accept modern science, one has no choice but to unreservedly accept all the findings of Relativistic physics. This done one then has no choice other than to consign Newtonian physics to that of only being a useful tool and not that of reality.
Consequently Nature is our personal projection of the energy field (Tao) in which we are encapsulated. However, this does not degrade Nature in any shape or form. It is merely putting the responsibility for Nature onto us, for Nature is who we actually are.
Note: The painting around 4:22 is called "Yin-Yang". Here's the artist's website: http://zodotcom.com/#Paintings/Yin-Yang
Standard YouTube License
- 3:39 The Dream Of Life - Alan Wattsby Tragedyand Hope Featured 610,708
- 1:20:16 Alan Watts - Philosophies of Asia - Taoist Wayby ThisFaIseReaIity24,180 views
- 49:39 Alan Watts The Tao of seeing through the netby watercourseway115,592 views
- 26:52 Alan Watts On Masturbation,Religion & Love.by StudyYourself426,972 views
- 9 videos Play all Taoism Explainedby HappyFhantum
- 1:09:23 Bruce Frantzis - 'Journey into Taoism' - Interview by Iain McNayby conscioustv22,341 views
- 1:06:34 Alan Watts - Stop Trying To Change The World.by StudyYourself374,550 views
- 22:54 Alan Watts - Passivity as natural state /The primal ignorance/ - Tao/Taoismby Gábor Hényel60,505 views
- 52:12 Alan watts - Jesus and his religionby watercourseway114,594 views
- 5:49 Abraham Hicks - You Can Control Manifestationsby freeflowingme13,215 views
- Taoism: The Master Within 16 videos3K
- 3:56 Alan Watts - Reincarnationby yinyangnature38,302 views
- 8:50 The Nature of Selfishness ~ Alan Wattsby RayneMarina181,430 views
- 1:34:02 Alan Watts - why not now ?by watercourseway1155,796 views
- 27:56 Alan Watts Taoist Wayby Jonathan Underwood34,071 views
- 14:36 Alan Watts - What do you want?by Gábor Hényel278,948 views
- 1:41:36 Alan Watts - Myth and Religion [1hr42]by AlanWattsLectures18,608 views
- 6:41 Alan Watts - Desireby mindhush23,793 views
- 5:52 The Most Basic Secret Of Yin Yangby happeh170,533 views
- 55:03 Alan Watts - Lao Tzu's Tao Te Chingby ThisFaIseReaIity32,103 views