Fair Use School: Response to YouTube's Copyright School Video
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Uploaded on Jul 11, 2011
This is my winning entry for Public Knowledge's video contest to create a response to YouTube's new "copyright school" video.
While YouTube's video is generally informative about copyright law and user generated video, it falls short when it comes to its description of fair use, an exception to copyright protection that allows you to incorporate copyrighted content into your videos without the permission of the copyright holder. This video describes fair use in an easy-to-understand way, and shows that rather than being a bunch of complicated legalize that ordinary YouTube users could never understand, fair use is a simple principle that you can use as a weapon to fight abusive takedown notices and get your videos restored when they are blocked for copyright infringement.
Note that this video is NOT legal advice, and fair use law is still very nebulous and uncertain--hence my frequent use of the word "probably." While the chances of being sued for filing a counter-notice are low, it should not be done lightly, and you assume any risk that results from taking such action.
For more information on copyright, fair use, and YouTube, please visit my website, http://fairusetube.org, which features a detailed tutorial on how to dispute copyright blocks both under YouTube's automated Content ID system and with a DMCA counter-notice.
Also visit Public Knowledge's website, at http://publicknowledge.org.
Another great resource about fair use and YouTube videos is the Center for Social Media's "Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Online Video," available here: http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/f....
I am a 24-year old, third-year law student at Regent University School of Law in Virginia Beach, VA, where I am the president of the Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Society and an editor on the Regent Law Review. I developed a strong interest in copyright issues in college, and I hope to pursue a career in copyright and Internet law when I graduate from law school. About a year ago, I started the website http://FairUseTube.org to guide YouTube users through the often confusing copyright dispute process, and to encourage them to stand up for their fair use rights against abusive takedown notices by major media companies.
- 54:35 Cory Doctorow: The coming war on general computation [28C3]by CCCenFeatured 36,740
- 7:33 Remix Culture: Fair Use is Your Friendby FairUseProject 35,921 views
- 7:22 Fair Use and Free Speechby socialmedia 8,406 views
- 6:23 Understanding Copyright Law and Exclusive Rightsby ArtistsHouseMusic 19,142 views
- 6:01 How Record Labels Earn Money under Copyright Lawby Artists House Music 6,068 views
- Copyright 733,126 videos302
- 47:58 Why Copyright? Canadian Voices on Copyright Law (Annotated Edition)by Bill C-61 In 61 Seconds 7,429 views
- 4:28 Law School Needs - What I Wish I Had From Day One at Law Schoolby jaimekid2 10,011 views
- 6:20 Copyright Basicsby copyrightclear's channel 43,728 views
- 3:11 Public Knowledge YouTube Copyright School Video Challengeby acurtis 4,810 views
- 30:49 Is Google Book Search "Fair Use"?by lessig 89,854 views
- 3:10 Fairy Useby Dave 65,039 views
- 2:39 Taking the Mystery Out Of Copyrightby asmithstudio 14,438 views
- 6:01 Explaining Copyright Term and Fair Useby Artists House Music 12,284 views
- 9:01 Bestest law school commencement speech ever!!by jason mercer 10,513 views
- 10:59 YouTube Cares About DMCA Abuse and/or Fair Use?by LiberalViewer 17,662 views
- 1:36:31 Federer vs Paire Masters Rome 2013 SF - Full Match HD - Spanishby TennisOnlineHD 4,738 views
- 13:08 Fair Use and Copyright: What's Fair, Appealing Claims, and Removing Strikes - Inbox Specialby Tek Syndicate 20,892 views
- 5:12 Rob Reid: The $8 billion iPodby TEDTalks 722,620 views
- 4:31 You Tube Copyright School Test- I Got First Prize Cheers Sean :-)))))))))))by Seandolanireland 3,719 views
- 5:38 YouTube Copyright and Fair Use Questions for VidCon on July 10by LiberalViewer 21,285 views
- Loading more suggestions...