Creationism In and Outside of the US
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on May 27, 2012
http://facebook.com/ScienceReason ... World Skeptics Congress 2012 (3): "Creationism In and Outside of the US", Eugenie C. Scott, Executive Director of the National Center for Science Education (NCSE). More videos of the World Skeptics Congress will be uploaded to the following channels:
Please don't forget to subscribe!
Eugenie Scott is an American physical anthropologist who has been the executive director of the National Center for Science Education (NCSE) since 1987. She is a leading critic of young earth creationism and intelligent design.
Eugenie Scott, a former university professor, is the Executive Director of NCSE. She has been both a researcher and an activist in the creationism/evolution controversy for over twenty-five years, and can address many components of this controversy, including educational, legal, scientific, religious, and social issues.
She has received national recognition for her NCSE activities, including awards from scientific societies, educational societies, skeptics groups, and humanist groups. She holds eight honorary degrees, from McGill, Rutgers, Mt. Holyoke, the University of New Mexico, Ohio State, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Colorado College, and the University of Missouri-Columbia.
In 2005, Scott and other NCSE staff served as scientific and educational consultants for the plaintiffs in the Kitzmiller vs. Dover Area School District case, which originated in Dover, Pennsylvania. Judge John Jones ruled against teaching intelligent design or creationism in the public schools.
Eugenie Scott offers stimulating and thought-provoking lectures. She is the author of "Evolution vs Creationism" and co-editor, with Glenn Branch, of "Not in Our Classrooms: Why Intelligent Design Is Wrong for Our Schools".
World Skeptics Congress: Promoting Science and Critical Thinking in a World of Uncertainty.
Why do people turn to pseudoscience for help? What makes alternative medicine so attractive - and how can we find out what really works? Why is it so difficult for us to deal with risk and uncertainty in a rational way? Can we teach children to think critically and scientifically? And how can academic disciplines like biology or psychology protect themselves from pseudoscientific contamination?
The 6th World Skeptics Congress in Berlin was an intellectually stimulating three-day event dealing with paranormal and supernatural claims, fringe science issues, and scams. Major topics at this event were science and pseudoscience in education, in particular anti-evolution claims and origin myths, and the problems of risk and benefit assessment, especially in alternative medicine.
Gerd Antes, Wim Betz, Johan Braeckman, Edzard Ernst, Chris French, Luigi Garlaschelli, Harriet Hall, Ray Hyman, Chris Mooney, Simon Perry, Massimo Polidoro, James Randi, Gita Sahgal, Eugenie Scott, Simon Singh, Samantha Stein, Kylie Sturgess, Rebecca Watson, Tomasz Witkowski are just some of the world-renowned presenters who took part, taking apart the claims and conspiracies of the modern world.
Keywords: Creationism Anti Evolution Intelligent Design Young Earth Creationists US Europe American National Center for Science Education NCSE Eugenie Scott State Board Educational System Ideology Culture War Religion religious Politics Government Legislation teaching Teachers Schools Standards Darwin Darwinism Evolutionism Debate Christian Protestantism International Movement Creationist Ministries misguided Fairness Balance Moratti Italy Matheus Brazil Fursenko Russia World Skeptics Congress 2012 Berlin
Standard YouTube License
Next in Secular Humanism, Skepticism & Science
- 30:00 Homeopathic Tacticsby RationalHumanism 1,631 views
- 43:22 Myths of Origin in the Classroomby RationalHumanism 2,624 views
- 9:14 World Skeptics Congress 2012 (Opening)by RationalHumanism 2,313 views
- 1:10:05 Richard Dawkins Answers Students and Teachers Lynchburg VAby Nightmares Jesus 7,503 views
- 1:21:13 A debate on Intelligent Design - Stephen Meyer & George Gilder vs Michael Shermer & Ronald Baileyby ChristianityTriumphs 8,083 views
- 51:58 Genie Scott vs. Kent Hovind--The Radio Debateby NatCen4ScienceEd 33,965 views
- 11:01 Creationists failing at attacking Bill Nyeby JacobBe5 108,860 views
- 1:04:25 Evolution of Creationismby NatCen4ScienceEd 31,771 views
- 57:13 Conspiracy Road Trip: Creationismby Tr3Vel0cita 203,365 views
- Creationism 29,904 videos361
- 54:11 What Would Darwin Say to Today's Creationists?by NatCen4ScienceEd 17,381 views
- 58:37 Revelation TV Interview with Richard Dawkins, amazingly idiotic Creationist questions!by bjnr0 272,324 views
- 1:22:01 Amazing seminar on Intelligent Design by Stephen Meyerby shockofgod 4,404 views
- 40:30 Why we still have to take creationism seriouslyby NatCen4ScienceEd 20,495 views
- 4:27 A Scientist Visits A Creationist Museumby SkepticStream 436,517 views
- 2:54:34 Aronra The Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism -- Complete Seriesby ChristopherHitchslap 71,598 views
- 37:40 "Faith: Pretending to know things you don't know" by Dr. Peter Boghossianby drpeterboghossian 45,804 views
- 15:52 Why I am no longer a creationist - Part 2: The Floodby atheistcoffee 34,065 views
- 3:24 Bill Nye, Creationism is Highly Appropriate for our Childrenby creationmuseum 245,094 views
- 1:10:37 Darwin Series; Judge John E. Jones IIIby case 13,660 views