Julio Iglesias - Begin The Beguine 1981
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Sign in to YouTube
Published on Jan 4, 2011
Good quality video recorded from Top Of The Pops 1981. Julio José Iglesias de la Cueva (born September 23, 1943), better known simply as Julio Iglesias, is a Spanish singer who has sold over 300 million records worldwide in 14 languages and released 77 albums. According to Sony Music Entertainment, he is one of the top 10 best selling music artists in history. While Iglesias rose to international prominence in the 1970s and 1980s as a performer of romantic ballads, his success has continued on as he entered new musical endeavors.
In the 1960s, he studied law in Madrid and was a goalkeeper for one of Real Madrid's football team. On September 22, 1963, he was involved in a car crash, resulting in an injury to his spinal cord. He said, "I had a car accident; very, very strange car accident...I lost control of the car and rolled it, resulting in what they call 'paraparexia,' which is not a paraplegi. It's a compression in the spinal cord, in the sense of the neck...my spinal cord; and I was very, very ill for three years." His doctors thought he would never walk again; indeed, his legs were left permanently weakened, and they continued to require therapy as of late October 2010. However, slowly, he began recovering his health. To develop and increase the dexterity of his hands, he began playing guitar. When he recovered from his accident, he resumed academic studies and traveled to the United Kingdom to study the English language, first in Ramsgate, then at Bell Educational Trust's Language School in Cambridge.
In 1971, he married Filipino journalist Isabel Preysler and had three children, Chabeli Iglesias, Julio Iglesias, Jr. and Enrique Iglesias. Their marriage was annulled in 1979.
In 1968, he won the Benidorm International Song Festival, a songwriter's event in Spain, with the song "La vida sigue igual" (meaning "Life Continues Just The Same") which was used in the film La vida sigue igual, about his own life. After his events he signed a deal with Discos Columbia, the Spanish branch of the Columbia Records company. He represented Spain in the 1970 Eurovision Song Contest, earning fourth place, after Northern Irish singer Dana and the Welsh singer Mary Hopkin. His entry was the song "Gwendolyne." Shortly after he had a number one hit in many European countries with "Un Canto A Galicia." That single sold 1 million copies in Germany. In 1975 he found success in the Italian market by recording a song exclusively in Italian called "Se mi lasci non vale" ("If You Leave Me, It Can't Be"). Notable albums from this decade are A Flor de Piel (1974, with the European hit "Manuela"), "El Amor" (1975), and "Soy" (1978). He also sang in French. One of his popular songs is "Je n'ai pas changé".
Following the annulment of his marriage to Preysler in 1979, he moved to Miami, Florida, in the United States and signed a deal with CBS International, and started singing in different languages such as English, French, Portuguese, German and other languages to his music. Iglesias released the album De Niña a Mujer (1981), from it came the first English-language hit, a Spanish cover of "Begin the Beguine" which became number 1 in the United Kingdom, he also released a collection, Julio (1983). In 1984, he released 1100 Bel Air Place, the hit album which gave him publicity in the English speaking entertainment industry. It sold four million albums in the United States, with the first single "To All the Girls I've Loved Before", a duet with Willie Nelson, earning a fifth place spot in the Billboard Hot 100; it also featured "All of You", with Diana Ross.
In 1985, Julio Iglesias, Sr, was kidnapped, but found alive two weeks later, prompting Julio Iglesias to move his children to Miami, Florida. That year he recorded the duets with Diana Ross and Willie Nelson previously mentioned. Iglesias won a Grammy Award for Best Latin Pop Album in the 1988 Grammy Awards for the album Un Hombre Solo (A Man Alone). He recorded a duet with Stevie Wonder on "My Love", in his Non Stop album, a crossover success in 1988. In the 1990s, Iglesias returned to his original Spanish melody in Tango (1996), nominated for Best Latin Pop Album at the 1998 Grammy Awards, losing to the Romances album by Mexican singer, Luis Miguel. Also that year, his youngest son from his first marriage, Enrique Iglesias, also was nominated for the Vivir album.
In 2010, Iglesias continued to travel around the world with his "Starry Night World Tour" to promote his 42 years of career.
According with his official site ( www.julioiglesias.com ) , has sold over 300 millions of albums worldwide until 1 November 2010.
In 2011, the artist will launch a new studio album, in March, called Numero 1.
Please visit my other Channel. Keep Rockin!.
Standard YouTube License
- Buy "Volver A Empezar (Begin The Beguine)" on
- 43 videos Play all YouTube Mix
- 3:06 Willie Nelson & Julio Iglesias - To All the Girls I've Loved Before (Live at Farm Aid 1986)by farmaidFeatured 855,418
- 3:12 Julio Iglesias - Crazyby andredis9 559,020 views
- 5:00 "Hey" Julio Iglesias [español]by kpodelaalianza 652,515 views
- 3:37 La Vida Sigue Igual, Julio Iglesiasby JAFR33 1,936,901 views
- 3:15 Julio Iglesias - Brasilby scando34 482,236 views
- 2:37 To All The Girls I've Loved Before - Julio Iglesiasby 開儒 何 3,316,518 views
- 6:17 jULIO IGLESIAS ME OLVIDE DE VIVIRby 22mesa 1,520,137 views
- 4:16 JULIO IGLESIAS - YOURS (QUIEREME MUCHO) 1981by filipepassos83 74,201 views
- 3:31 JULIO IGLESIAS Y MIRANDAby Ricardo Julio 106,522 views
- 2:10:40 Julio Iglesias - Mix De Exitos [Part. 2]by Madalina Marchis 1,640,867 views
- 139 videos Play all Julio Iglesiasby lstrah
- 4:13 when i need you - Julio iglesiasby iraqart2003 750,682 views
- 4:07 Nathalie -Julio Iglesiasby margret p 902,194 views
- 3:51 HEY - Julio Iglesias (English Lyrics)by phiona14ph 188,785 views
- 2:56 Patti Page - YOU BELONG TO MEby konidolfine 223,169 views
- 3:53 Julio Iglesias - Moonlight Lady (Audio)by JulioIglesiasVEVO 295,617 views
- 3:19 Julio Iglesias - Viens M' Embrasserby ahmed amir 1,013,443 views
- 3:41 Julio Iglesias - Manuelaby nihat biçer 2,463,146 views
- 3:32 Julio Iglesias - To all the girls I loved before [feat. Willie Nelson]by 10thnovember1988 834,688 views
- 22:10 Julio Iglesias Canta 'Divorcio'by Madalina Marchis 110,471 views
- 3:55 Julio Iglesias - Nostalgieby RussianSun2 1,143,950 views
- Loading more suggestions...